PDA

View Full Version : 05 with a new overheating issue

sskustomz
11-08-2008, 10:25 PM
I recently broke the shift shaft in my quad and after replacing it (myself) i started it up the same as i usualy do,pull choke out-pump throttle twice-start let run for a couple two three minutes and usualy its ready to go,BUT not this time the quad shut itself off and i noticed the fan was running wich it never does.I waited a couple minutes then re-started it and noticed that the head pipe(hmf full system) started glowing bright *** orange and when i shut it off a flame comes out the exhaust and has done so almost every time ive started it.i cleaned the oil screen,changed oil,and filled the coolant upas far as i could see past the plastic with the side shroud off so im thinkin the carb got some crap dislogged from somewere stuck in it.maybe?so i cleaned the jets but problem still persists.....any help will be greatly appreciated

Ride1Rob
11-09-2008, 08:23 AM
I can't see how changing your shift shaft would make the bike all of a sudden start doing this. Did you do/change anything else from the last time you rode it? Seems like a jetting issue.

Toadz400
11-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Has the temperature changed? If the temps have dropped then you will need to richen your jetting. If you could let us know the temperature, altitude, your current jetting, and your mods then it could help us determine whether or not that's your problem.

sskustomz
11-10-2008, 02:39 PM
iknow it sounds dumband should have nothing to do with it but it ran great before i did the work.as for everything else from the last i rode it and now it was 80 out and now its more like 50 so about 30 degree drop in temprature .as for elevation i do not know but i live in binghamton ny wich is about 75 miles south of syracuse if that helps.specs on mods:full hmf exhaust,cam mod,new no-toil filter,and i hole sawed a few holes in the airbox lid i hope this helps you help(or atleast i hope so).agian any and all help is greatly appreciated

Toadz400
11-11-2008, 07:33 AM
What's your jetting? 30 degrees is a big drop in temperature and you would definitely benefit from bumping up your jetting a little bit.

sskustomz
11-12-2008, 10:38 PM
well i tore the carb completly apart to see exactly what the hell is going on and i found the jets are 178 45 3 turns out on the mix screw. i told a local gut who is the man in these parts and he said what explained to him sounded way to rich so we put a 172 45and 2 1/2 turns out and now it runs great(for now anyway) btu is 172 to lean for these colder temps as im going to run a winter series race this sunday i think.hit me back and thanks again

Toadz400
11-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Might want to even try a 170 and see if it still runs good in the mid to full throttle position. What's your needle at? With your fuel screw you want to adjust that everytime the temperature changes, it'll help. 175 is very rich and probably would not need to run it without some engine work.

Once the colder temperature sets in you'll want to mess around with your jetting some more to fine tune it.

Ride1Rob
11-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Pull the plug and check it. White/Gray is too lean! Should have a nice brown color to it. Black is rich.