PDA

View Full Version : square tube swingarm questions

yfz27
11-08-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm trying to install the square tube swingarm and am having a few issues. First, where are you supposed to mount the chain tensioner? I doesn't have a mounting hole in the same location as the old round tube one did. Also the stock chain guard and sproket guard don't line up with their mounting holes. Do the MX racers even run the guards or do they discard them? Finally the rubber sleeve around the front pivot tube of the swingarm doesn't fit due to the larger gusset . If I cut it to fit will the chain rub on the swingarm? Anyone installed one that could help me out? Thanks.

SMS
11-08-2008, 07:09 AM
The chain guide we use the ZTR guide and love it. Some of the swing arm you may have to drill a hole, but if it is a stock replacement swing arm it should bolt up. I will try to take a pic today as well. I use a special guide but it requires small amount of welding or I have seen people cut the stock one and zip tie it back on! It works not real solid but I have seen it a few times and it is better than rubbing on swing arm. We do not run the guard on the swing arm.

forgiven
11-08-2008, 10:56 AM
What year do you have. They should be bolt compatible with the 07/08/09 swingers.

mudder700
11-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Scrap the guards, cut the rubber sleeve and zip tie it in place, the stock tensioner will work with slight modification, I went through the same things you are going through, not a fun job.. but they say they are bullet proof..I did eventually put a ZTR tensioner on..

yfz27
11-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Do you have a pic of your "slight modification"? I plan on going to the ZTR tensioner but need to put on the stock one for now.

It's a 2007 and bolted up fine, just didn't have a mount for the tensioner.

mudder700
11-08-2008, 07:11 PM
I put it on the back and drilled a small hole for the spring to go through, on our other one, there was a gap when the axle was rotated, so I put the spring in the gap, didn't need to drill a hole, depends on where your rear axle is adjusted to,I don't have any pics, I will try to get some, the ZTR is on there now though

yfz27
11-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Well here is a pic of what I came up with. Should the tensioner work mounted like this?

Nichols Atvs
11-09-2008, 08:42 PM
nothing wrong with that.

yfz27
11-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Awesome. Thanks everyone for the replies

SMS
11-10-2008, 02:01 PM
looks good