PDA

View Full Version : Quad to Bike Switch?

yfzrider310
11-07-2008, 10:46 PM
How many people have done it im thinking about going down and trading my yfz in for a nice 06 yz250f (used) or a new 07 crf 250 (depends on money). I was just wondering how people liked the bike switch and how much maintenance bikes are over quads. Is there anything I should be concerned about for the 06 yzf250? I have some bike experience but none on a full bore race bike. If I get the 250 will I be wanting the 450 right away or are the 250's pretty good power? Just let me hear some reviews and answer my questions if you can.

KXRida
11-08-2008, 04:40 AM
I made the switch some years ago. Honestly, best thing I've done. I have so much more fun on bikes. Do you have any experience on a bike? At first they can be a little tricky, especially on rocks, logs, etc, but you'll get the hang of it.

The 06+ yzf's are great bikes. I prefer them over my 05 handling wise, but the motor's are the same. The new aluminium frame doesn't feel as top heavy as my 05's steel, they just handle so much better. Motors are strong and reliable. Out of all the 250f's they should give you the least problems, espcially valve. The crf's are also great bikes. Handle awesome, nice suspension, motor is pretty strong, but it seems to fall flat up top a little, but has a real nice low-mid. If you go that route and would like an aftermarket exhuast, be prepared to shell out a little chunk of change on one. I'm not really a fan of the dual exhaust thing. I honestly thing it's there more for looks/sales than functionality. Now to the crf's valve eating reputation. 04/05 crf's were the worst, especially the 250's. They have progressively gotten better from 06 and up, but the 450's see their share of valve problems as well. 07's were a pretty decent year. I have heard some complaints of valve issues, but it seems that people are keeping on top of them now. If you go with the crf (or any 4 stroke for that matter, including the yfz), keep on top of your valves. One thing that definitely swayed me away from a honda was seeing how frequent the valves did NOT stay in spec. It seemed like all the crf owners were in a constant valve shimming battle with their bikes. Out of the crf or yzf, I'd go yzf. Awesome motor, 06+ has pretty good handling, reliable. Check out TT if you want to get some more info/opinions on each bike.

jesseweaver
11-08-2008, 05:57 AM
same with me... one of the best decisions i ever made. at first i was really pissed off and thought it really sucked but give it a little time (like 1 or 2 rides) and you'll start loving it. i would never ride mx on a quad again....

i have an 06 yz250f and they're great bikes. i never really rode other bikes hard so i cant compare that great but yes the hondas do have valve problems. The 06 and up yzfs have the aluminum frame so that is another plus. The power of the 250s is great. i was wondering the same thing, and i almost got a 450 thinking i would want that extra power. i would kill myself on a track with a 450 and it wouldn't be fun at all because i am not at that skill level yet. i rarely find myself wanting more power. i love the feel of 250s compared to my friends 450. ive riden it twice at tracks and im already doing whips and jumping 100ft.+ i know on a 450 i wouldnt be doing that. i rode my 250 half of this year and ill ride it all next year and then ill see if i want a 450, but i kinda doubt it. my friend raced a 250f for 2 years and hes gonna race one again next year. he just doesnt feel comfortable on a 450.

KXRida
11-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
The power of the 250s is great. i was wondering the same thing, and i almost got a 450 thinking i would want that extra power. i would kill myself on a track with a 450 and it wouldn't be fun at all because i am not at that skill level yet. i rarely find myself wanting more power.

The power is nice, but a 450 suits me much better. The pipe and proper jetting did help a lot though. The biggest thing I need to get is suspension, so hopefully this winter I'll be calling up PR2. I'd like to get a little more juice out of mine though. Tight corners with jumps right out of them were rough in stock trim, but it had pretty crappy jetting in it, so it helped down low. I really had to seat bounce to clear them. I can make due with a 250, but a 450 is the way to go for me.

hypersnyper6947
11-08-2008, 12:35 PM
I to have contemplated making the switch from 4 wheels to 2 but every time i get on a dirt bike i feel like im going to kill my self. It is a very un easy feeling. I have grown up on quads and never on dirt bikes. How long do you think it would take to get used to it, especially that twist throttle.

yfzrider310
11-08-2008, 01:39 PM
The problem is I don't want to trade my wheeler in then get the bike and then decide I hate it. If I do hate it then I'll never have as nice of a quad as I do now. So its still up in the air anyone else got some reviews?

Ruby Soho
11-08-2008, 01:59 PM
ride a friends 250f, see if you like it

my buddy races bikes hes got a 250f and a 450. trying to get rid of the 450 because he has much more fun on the 250f, says that on the 450 its boring out on the track, staying in only 1st and 2nd, just cruising. on the 250f its much more fun.

i wanted a 250f for a really long time, but i got into pitbikes and have to sell the quad so i can buy a truck. if i ever get rid of my pitbike itll be for a 250f.

jesseweaver
11-08-2008, 02:47 PM
you wont know if you like the bike by just riding a friends. in fact you'll hate it at first. and at first you'll be pissed you sold your quad but after 1 or 2 rides you'll start to love it. i grew up my whole life on quads and had next to none bike experience and i reall worried about switching, knowing i would lose a lot of money if i didnt like it but i sure am glad i made the switch.

Ruby Soho
11-08-2008, 03:30 PM
it really depends, ive ridden my friends crf250r a few times, i love the thing. its what made me want to get rid of my quad

11-08-2008, 03:40 PM
i swear if i had a dirtbike i would put a thumb throttle on it lol bikes are fun but in sugar sand good luck with that one. I see people from northern states riding bikes come to Florida and ride. Next thing you know they all have quads. The sand is tough to ride in even on a quad you can try to steer 1 way but your going the other. I got stuck in the sand 2 weeks ago on my quad. I was all flat where i was slowing down then I feel it sinking and try to speed up I just sunk more and stopped.

yfzrider310
11-08-2008, 03:48 PM
My buddies got a 08 ktm 450 sxf bike that I could ride. Do you think that will be too much bike? I've rode a bunch of 80-85 dirtbikes and a yz 250 for a little bit.

hypersnyper6947
11-08-2008, 03:49 PM
i agree i hate that twist throttle, or it hates me one of the two. I ate it real good on my stepdads cr250 b/c of that twist throttle.

300extreme#8
11-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Switching to bikes was the best choice i made for racing.Tha truth is that 1.Quads are starting to get out ruled in this area, they are not getting to run in some series and track, and people trying to make it where quad riders dont show up. 2. Theres no more compitetion, the turnouts keep getting smaller and the biggest class is c-class,3. Locally A-class consist of maybe 1 or 2 riders so what fun is that to watch. 4. THE MAIN REASON for switching. COST!!!! I bought my 450r quad for 6000 or so, put atleast 8000-10000 in parts, I bought my 06 250f bike for 4200, I have only spint about 200 dollars on graphics and tires and its just as competitive as any other c-class bike rider... First off I have seen afew use thumb throttles on a bike and its all about getting comfortable. Once you get a bike you prolly wont take time to get adjusted, I was your local upfront running quad racer locally in pretty much b-class, i wasnt slow.. Once i switching it was night and day diff, all i could do on the bike was jump hard jumps. you just have to take time and ride it, you get to learn to look ahead and not down and hit the gas.. but bikes are by far alot funner. I hope you make the switch! :) this was when i first learned how to whip it haha

KXRida
11-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
How long do you think it would take to get used to it, especially that twist throttle.

Time my friend, time... I find that I have much better control with a twist throttle. Much easier control.

Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
i swear if i had a dirtbike i would put a thumb throttle on it lol bikes are fun but in sugar sand good luck with that one. I see people from northern states riding bikes come to Florida and ride. Next thing you know they all have quads. The sand is tough to ride in even on a quad you can try to steer 1 way but your going the other. I got stuck in the sand 2 weeks ago on my quad. I was all flat where i was slowing down then I feel it sinking and try to speed up I just sunk more and stopped.

the trick to sand on bikes, is keep your front end light and keep on the gas. There is a track up here with a pretty silty/sandy base in the corners. You can come in a steady 3rd gear, let off a second and let the sand slow you down and just lay into it.

Originally posted by yfzrider310
My buddies got a 08 ktm 450 sxf bike that I could ride. Do you think that will be too much bike? I've rode a bunch of 80-85 dirtbikes and a yz 250 for a little bit.

once again, seat time will tell. 85's will most likely be too small for you. If you're worried about loosing money and don't want to invest toooooo much into bikes, look for a 125. You can pick them up relatively cheap. They do require a fair amount of clutch work the ride them properly, but they're good bikes. The 4 stroke is probably a better beginner bike, but the years of riding two strokes really helps your riding style. The key to 4 strokes is being smooth. With my 2 strokes you ride very very aggressive, full throttle all the time, brake slides into corners, etc. the key is smoothness.

Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
i agree i hate that twist throttle, or it hates me one of the two. I ate it real good on my stepdads cr250 b/c of that twist throttle.

got a case of whiskey throttle? It happens to all of us, which is why it is wise to start on a smaller bike as a "just incase." If that happens to you on a 250 2t and you don't catch it in time, you may be on your back pretty quick.

Originally posted by 300extreme#8
Switching to bikes was the best choice i made for racing.Tha truth is that 1.Quads are starting to get out ruled in this area, they are not getting to run in some series and track, and people trying to make it where quad riders dont show up. 2. Theres no more compitetion, the turnouts keep getting smaller and the biggest class is c-class,3. Locally A-class consist of maybe 1 or 2 riders so what fun is that to watch. 4. THE MAIN REASON for switching. COST!!!! I bought my 450r quad for 6000 or so, put atleast 8000-10000 in parts, I bought my 06 250f bike for 4200, I have only spint about 200 dollars on graphics and tires and its just as competitive as any other c-class bike rider... First off I have seen afew use thumb throttles on a bike and its all about getting comfortable. Once you get a bike you prolly wont take time to get adjusted, I was your local upfront running quad racer locally in pretty much b-class, i wasnt slow.. Once i switching it was night and day diff, all i could do on the bike was jump hard jumps. you just have to take time and ride it, you get to learn to look ahead and not down and hit the gas.. but bikes are by far alot funner. I hope you make the switch! :) this was when i first learned how to whip it haha

bikes are a lot cheaper for the most part. A lot easier to maintain IMO. What class do you race? I see you have white backgrounds, but you said you run C class? Up here I'm a higher C rider to mid B. Probably 2 seasons from now I'd like to make the switch to B class. I think I need another year in the Kamakazi class a.k.a C class.

now see guys, when you get some seat time you can control a bike!!! Just a few pics to show you guys what you're missing!!!!!

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/turn39.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/turn38.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/slide.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/100_2996.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/double3.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/double4.jpg

Holeshot!
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/holeshot.jpg

In a perfect world, you could have a quad and a bike, but welcome to the real world haha. Come on guys get some bikes and we'll all go riding!!!!!

hypersnyper6947
11-08-2008, 10:02 PM
great post, im damn near convinced. I really fell like if i get some more seat time on maybe a friends bike i will want to switch. It just seems like its harder to master than a quad, and i love a good challenge.

Honda TRX250ex
11-08-2008, 10:23 PM
I actually traded my 2007 yfz for a 2007 CRF 250r and wouldent be happier. I think that bikes are much more fun and you could do so much more. There isnt to much more differnce between mantiance. As for a 450, i was thinking about getting one but i rode one at the track and it changed my mind. 450s have alot of power, but you basiclly put it in 3rd and go IMO. the 250s you would have alot more fun on, you switch through gears and jumps become more of a challange.

KXRida
11-08-2008, 10:28 PM
It's different and IMO more fun once you get the hang of it. It'll take some time to develop your skills, but stick with it.

KXRida
11-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Honda TRX250ex
I actually traded my 2007 yfz for a 2007 CRF 250r and wouldent be happier. I think that bikes are much more fun and you could do so much more. There isnt to much more differnce between mantiance. As for a 450, i was thinking about getting one but i rode one at the track and it changed my mind. 450s have alot of power, but you basiclly put it in 3rd and go IMO. the 250s you would have alot more fun on, you switch through gears and jumps become more of a challange.

with my 250f compared to the 450's I really get to work on my seat bouncing out of corners though. haha sometimes it's nice to just crack the throttle on a 450 and just smash the jump. I really liked the extra power on tap of the 450's. My lap times will still faster on my 250f, but I'm more used to that bike than 450's at the moment.

KXRida
11-08-2008, 10:34 PM
oh jeez these pics bring back bad memories... Taken probably about an hour before I broke my back...

Thankfully I decided to gear up!!!!

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/100_2913.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/100_2920.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/100_2917.jpg

haha see guys, two wheelers are not evil!

pro-rider46
11-08-2008, 11:36 PM
i love the power of my 450, and i have only rode 1 250f that i wasnt very good on because i wasnt used to two wheels. but i do remember that they handled really well. and my friends 125 handles really well too. i really want one of those 09 crfs. they supposively handle like a 250f but have power of a 450. and they are fuel injected!

jesseweaver
11-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
Come on guys get some bikes and we'll all go riding!!!!!

im down.... when and where?

what are those tracks you are riding at? that step up looks fun

KXRida
11-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
im down.... when and where?

what are those tracks you are riding at? that step up looks fun

The first few are from mine and my cousin's turn track, the whip pic is from dirt soldiers, the double and holeshot are from wildride mx, then the other three are from a private track.

a few from rocket raceway

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/100_2809.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/100_2812.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/100_2806.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/100_2799.jpg

Ruby Soho
11-09-2008, 08:16 AM
youll get familiar with the twist throttle in no time, it just takes getting used to. i used to like the thumb throttle way more, but now that i ride my 110 all the time, and rarely the quad, im much more used to the twist over the thumb, i feel more control with it.

11-09-2008, 10:05 AM
the trick to sand on bikes, is keep your front end light and keep on the gas. There is a track up here with a pretty silty/sandy base in the corners. You can come in a steady 3rd gear, let off a second and let the sand slow you down and just lay into it.

easier said than done lol sand has built up the greatest riders we know of. Ricky Carmichael, James Stewart, Tim Ferry... I just named the 3 that grew up riding near me but the list goes on and they say the reason they became so great was because the sand is so tough to ride in and when they became used to it other tracks seemed second nature. When I saw Travis Pastrana/ Nitro Circus and Team Suzuki racing around my local riding spot Travis looked flawless. He was going over rough terrain so smooth he could probally hold a cup of tea and not spill it. But he did dump it in the sand because his tire washed out. Sand riding on a dirtbike is tough because the only way to stay straight without being pushed around by the terrain is to haul ***. Its fun on little dirtbikes to mess around on but I would never give up quading for biking.

ZRider400
11-09-2008, 10:29 AM
when my LTR trans crapped out last summer... i let it sit for a few months and picked up a CRF250R. Ended up riding this, and not looking back..... So far i love it. I put a 400ex thumb throttle on it (made alot easier transition).

ended up trading the LTR for a YFZ...but was pretty bored overall with that, so got rid of that too. Still have the bike though.

I do miss having a quad,(ive ridden quads my whole life..thought id never like a dirtbike)) and will probably build one again sometime, but for now..ill be riding my CRF.

ZRider400
11-09-2008, 10:30 AM
I def do miss this though.....

KXRida
11-09-2008, 11:41 AM
easier said than done lol sand has built up the greatest riders we know of. Ricky Carmichael, James Stewart, Tim Ferry... I just named the 3 that grew up riding near me but the list goes on and they say the reason they became so great was because the sand is so tough to ride in and when they became used to it other tracks seemed second nature. When I saw Travis Pastrana/ Nitro Circus and Team Suzuki racing around my local riding spot Travis looked flawless. He was going over rough terrain so smooth he could probally hold a cup of tea and not spill it. But he did dump it in the sand because his tire washed out. Sand riding on a dirtbike is tough because the only way to stay straight without being pushed around by the terrain is to haul ***. Its fun on little dirtbikes to mess around on but I would never give up quading for biking.

Other way around bucco... haha

Once you get a feel for sand you can just pretty much keep a steady hard throttle. I love the sand corners up here at that track. To me, quads are fun to mess around on, bikes get the job done for me. I don't think I could ever go back to full time quad riding. Winter and hunting season are about the only time I ride quads anymore.

11-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Other way around bucco... haha

Once you get a feel for sand you can just pretty much keep a steady hard throttle. I love the sand corners up here at that track. To me, quads are fun to mess around on, bikes get the job done for me. I don't think I could ever go back to full time quad riding. Winter and hunting season are about the only time I ride quads anymore.

I really dont think people know what sugar sand really is. I highly doubt the sand you have up there is sugar sand. I'm talking like sand at the dunes where you sink walking on it.

KXRida
11-09-2008, 12:22 PM
I really dont think people know what sugar sand really is. I highly doubt the sand you have up there is sugar sand. I'm talking like sand at the dunes where you sink walking on it.

yes I know what sugar sand is. I've ridden in Fl. before...

Jake250ex
11-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Man, you guys got me wanting to sale my ER. Ive been kickin around the idea lately.

What I hate is that you can put 15 grand in a quad easy, and still not have everything. On a bike, you pay for the bike and maintian it - how fast you go is up to you.

I know my buddy ive been training with since I was 15 rides bikes, at first I got tired of waiting on him now I cant keep him in sight. You can only go so fast in the woods on a quad, the rest is conditioning. Ill bet if XC races were one lap most of the guys in different classes could turn alot closer lap times.

You cant lean a quad down into a rut and use it to help you, idk it just frustrates the hell out of me to have to slow down so much thru corners and stuff and watch a bike rip through them.

And the suspension, I dont care how long of travel you got, or how much you pay for your shock will never compare to bikes.

The only thing that worries me is that I know when I ride his bike, i feel so tense and uncomfortable my arms are so pumped up from clutching and the twis throttle.. its miserable. And then the slick hardpack and logs and rocks.... :ermm:

KingpinsEx
11-09-2008, 02:30 PM
I actually started out riding on bikes then switched to quads then back and yet back again. Honestly I like them both and as odd as it sounds I perfer quads for mx and bikes for trails. I know it takes alot more setup and cash to get a quad mx ready but when you do they are just so comfortable for me. As for trails, it takes alot to get a quad setup nice, for me anyway, to go fast. A bike you don't have to do a thing and get around trails alot easier. I figure when I get out of racing and just strickly trail ride I will look into getting a 250F bike, but it would be nice to have both! :D

yfzrider310
11-09-2008, 02:39 PM
I might just end up selling the blaster then getting a nice 125 bike I've been looking at. Is a 125 bike uncontrollable?

deathman53
11-09-2008, 04:24 PM
I love my dirtbikes on trails, thats all I ride trails with. My atv's are all for mx, I don't like to jump bikes too much. The suspsenion is no comparism, a well setup dirtbike will soak-up the worst whoop sections and nasty trail stuff. I'm faster on trails with bikes, I'm probably faster on bikes for mx also, I just feel more comfortable with quads/trikes for mx. I find the hardest thing about mx on bikes is riding the ruts, partially because I'm used to riding quad ruts. I mostly ride dirtbikes, my atv's are rarely riden.

As for the 125, thats not much of a bike and can be pipey. I ride my 200 2 stroke most of the time, not hard to ride don't need to rev the guts out of it either. I would go for a 250 2 stroke, I rode a yz250 and love it. Many people seam to like the ktm 200exc/xc bikes, awesome bikes. A 300xc/exc shouldn't be out of question either, its nicknamed a 3 stroke. 4 stroke like low end and lugabilty and streaming 2 stroke top end. The 450's are alot of bike and can be hard to ride, 250f's seam to be a better choice for the 4 strokes.

11-09-2008, 04:43 PM
LOOK, I DID THE SAME THING AND I LIKED IT FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS AND NOW IM DIEING TO GET ANOTHER FOURWHEELER! dont do it dude you will regret it sooner or later! you have to work on your bike all the time 2stroke or 4stroke **** breaks easier on the bikes!

IF ANYONES INTERESTED MINES FOR SALE OR TRADE FOR A FOURWHEELER! THE ONE IN MY SIG!

krt400ex
11-09-2008, 05:54 PM

that stuff is fun on the bike. hold it wide open and throw a roost lol. pitch it into a corner and throttle steer it around. you got to keep your front end light. that is the key.

here are a few pics. dont have any of sand riding though :ermm:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/104_2415.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/104_2414.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/104_2411.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/104_2407.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/104_2385.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/104_2383.jpg

krt400ex
11-09-2008, 06:01 PM
I might just end up selling the blaster then getting a nice 125 bike I've been looking at. Is a 125 bike uncontrollable?

i tend to be a bit whiskey throttled so a 125 is perfect for me. i like to hold it WFO all the time so it has plenty of power. if you like to chug it and lug it you will want a bigger bike. i like to let it scream and listen to that engine sing. the 125s dont have much off the bottom. if you let it fall off the pipe you will be working the gearbox alot (as if you wont be already :rolleyes: ) and you will be fanning the clutch all the time which you do alot anyway. they are not the easiest bikes to ride, but i think they are more fun. if i rode nothing but fields or hills, i would be springing for a yz250

300extreme#8
11-09-2008, 06:09 PM
only thing i miss doing on the quads is freestyle, i still cant do anymore cordovas b/c last time i tryied i missed the pegs and bikes dont have nerf bars.. you all should know what happens next

krt400ex
11-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by 300extreme#8
only thing i miss doing on the quads is freestyle, i still cant do anymore cordovas b/c last time i tryied i missed the pegs and bikes dont have nerf bars.. you all should know what happens next

just wear a cup :p

300extreme#8
11-09-2008, 06:13 PM
also i got alot of style points on a quad? like this twisted heel clicker, but all in all, quads are great. I can still hop on one and tear it up like i havent lost any skill, but nothing at all compares to being able to lean and whip a bike, i love coming up to a jump sinking to the back of the bike and dipping the bike down on the lip of a jump and scrubbing a nice whip for the crowd, plus riding a quad by urself gets old, on a bike it never gets old to me

KXRida
11-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by mxcowboy
LOOK, I DID THE SAME THING AND I LIKED IT FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS AND NOW IM DIEING TO GET ANOTHER FOURWHEELER! dont do it dude you will regret it sooner or later! you have to work on your bike all the time 2stroke or 4stroke **** breaks easier on the bikes!

IF ANYONES INTERESTED MINES FOR SALE OR TRADE FOR A FOURWHEELER! THE ONE IN MY SIG!

couldn't be farther from the truth. A bike/quad is only as reliable as the maintenence put into it. Not knocking on your bike or anything (I had quite a few 01's) but it is a few years old and both bikes AND quads have consumable items on them. I.e) bearings, engine components, drive train, etc. What exactly is it that breaks all the time on your bike?

I guess that one industries swing arm and asv stage 3 clutch really help out? lol :D

krt400ex
11-09-2008, 06:41 PM
that is the truth. too bad the top end went on my bike. porting and high compression are up next :D

KXRida
11-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
that is the truth. too bad the top end went on my bike. porting and high compression are up next :D

just a side note compression differs with each piston you put in on a 2t. It's not like a 4t... just throwing that out there. Porting and getting some head work done will definitely raise the compression, but make sure you work with your engine builder on it. If it's too high, you'll be required to run higher octane or you'll ping like crazy.

11-09-2008, 06:53 PM
couldn't be farther from the truth. A bike/quad is only as reliable as the maintenence put into it. Not knocking on your bike or anything (I had quite a few 01's) but it is a few years old and both bikes AND quads have consumable items on them. I.e) bearings, engine components, drive train, etc. What exactly is it that breaks all the time on your bike?

I guess that one industries swing arm and asv stage 3 clutch really help out? lol :D

nah not that 125 tht one is actually doin pretty damn good ive only broke chains on it ITS GOT SOME DAMN POWER i got a suzuki 125 and a kx 125
both 04's and all they did was break top ends, twice in one month with low hours!,clutch wwent out , and the carb on the suzuki was always actin up! i knew i shoulda got a yamaha from the start~!

so if your getin a bike get a yamaha!!!

wtf does the clutch and swing arm gotta do with it, the clutch is stage 2 hehe gotta edit tht!

KXRida
11-09-2008, 06:59 PM
nah not that 125 tht one is actually doin pretty damn good ive only broke chains on it ITS GOT SOME DAMN POWER i got a suzuki 125 and a kx 125
both 04's and all they did was break top ends, twice in one month with low hours!,clutch wwent out , and the carb on the suzuki was always actin up! i knew i shoulda got a yamaha from the start~!

so if your getin a bike get a yamaha!!!

wtf does the clutch and swing arm gotta do with it, the clutch is stage 2 hehe gotta edit tht!

04 kx 125's were known for engine failure, mainly the crank bearings. Nothing was ever pin pointed, but they definitely had problems. Carb acting up? rejet it? clean it? maintain it! Clutch going out? sounds like a consumable item to me. If you seriously abuse your clutch, yes it will go out. What do you think a clutch is for? It wears! Imagine that. Chains breaking? Once again another consumable item. You make it sound like none of this can happen on quads. Now riddle me this, what happens when you lay a bike down semi hard? Bent bars, some cosmetic damage, and a little bit more at the most? How about a quad? You have a arms to worry about, shock mounts, more frame to bend, axles to worry about, rims, etc.

My point about the clutch and the swingarm, is they don't exist. One industries never made swing arms and ASV makes clutch LEVERS not clutch kits. As far as a 155, I'd check that. The biggest combo on stock cylinder walls that can be done with that year of yz is a 144 and at that they are paper thin.

yfzrider310
11-09-2008, 08:30 PM
04 kx 125's were known for engine failure, mainly the crank bearings. Nothing was ever pin pointed, but they definitely had problems. Carb acting up? rejet it? clean it? maintain it! Clutch going out? sounds like a consumable item to me. If you seriously abuse your clutch, yes it will go out. What do you think a clutch is for? It wears! Imagine that. Chains breaking? Once again another consumable item. You make it sound like none of this can happen on quads. Now riddle me this, what happens when you lay a bike down semi hard? Bent bars, some cosmetic damage, and a little bit more at the most? How about a quad? You have a arms to worry about, shock mounts, more frame to bend, axles to worry about, rims, etc.

My point about the clutch and the swingarm, is they don't exist. One industries never made swing arms and ASV makes clutch LEVERS not clutch kits. As far as a 155, I'd check that. The biggest combo on stock cylinder walls that can be done with that year of yz is a 144 and at that they are paper thin.

haha owned

krt400ex
11-10-2008, 09:04 AM
just a side note compression differs with each piston you put in on a 2t. It's not like a 4t... just throwing that out there. Porting and getting some head work done will definitely raise the compression, but make sure you work with your engine builder on it. If it's too high, you'll be required to run higher octane or you'll ping like crazy.

yea i know. im gonna get the heard milled, and i plan on a 50/50 of klotz and pump gas so its all good. i want more ponies out of it lol

krt400ex
11-10-2008, 09:06 AM
haha owned

X2 :D :D

KXRida
11-10-2008, 09:07 AM
yea i know. im gonna get the heard milled, and i plan on a 50/50 of klotz and pump gas so its all good. i want more ponies out of it lol

klotz what?

Keep on top of your ring replacements as well. Should be a screamer.

krt400ex
11-10-2008, 09:16 AM
i am still learning lol. i have heard klotz is a good race fuel and my local dealer sells it. i wanted to run a mix of 110 octane and premium pump fuel. got any suggestions?

KXRida
11-10-2008, 09:26 AM
mixing 50/50 can be alright, but it doesn't raise your octane as you think. Mixing 50/50 would up your octane to probably around 95. Do you know if it's oxygenated or not? If you have the money, U4.2 is the best stuff out there and it doesn't oxidize your carb like the original U4 did. Vp C12 is also a good race fuel. I do plan on upping my compression to 13.5:1, so I'll see how it does on pump gas. Porting and some head work will be done by williams motowerx next winter, so I'm going to work with him on running pump gas. I can get turbo blue race fuel for around 5ish a gallon at my cost, but that's still a lot to be running in a bike. On race day I go through roughly 2 gallons. A can of U4.2 is like $60, so that's pretty costly for 5 gallons. I'd like to avoid running race fuel at all costs.

krt400ex
11-10-2008, 09:33 AM
well i dont plan to go crazy with compression. i just want it to hit a little harder.

i am contemplating a mid and up porting or a bottom to mid porting. not sure yet. i dont really need a ton of bottom end, but i want it to snap into the powerband at the twist of the throttle. i dont want a hole in the low end where it bogs for a second or two before spooling up. i want to try and keep the power profile relatively even, but with a bit more in the mid and top then off the bottom. i will also be replacing my fmf fatty exhaust beings that it is dented, and i will be installing an fmf shorty silencer in place of the pro crcuit silencer i have on there. considering a v-force three reed cage and reeds as well.

11-10-2008, 02:38 PM

asv im talkin about the levers and the perch kit! the clutch basket and stuff is barnett] as for the swing arm thing its suppose to be swing arm sticker kit [its a pivot works system!]ill even updae it for you i havent changed my sig since i made an account, it has a 2005 head and piston etc

KXRida
11-10-2008, 02:57 PM
05 head and piston doesn't make a difference, the cylinder will still only accept a 144.

Asv does not go by stages...

krt400ex
11-10-2008, 03:43 PM
05 head and piston doesn't make a difference, the cylinder will still only accept a 144.

Asv does not go by stages...

tru, but even though he hasnt stated it, he could have an aftermarket cylinder. i am sure that you could find an aftermarket company to build you a cylinder that would do that. and you have not thought about whether or not it is stroked. that would up it more. until i know exactly what he has done, i got to give him the benefit of the doubt

11-10-2008, 04:12 PM
tru, but even though he hasnt stated it, he could have an aftermarket cylinder. i am sure that you could find an aftermarket company to build you a cylinder that would do that. and you have not thought about whether or not it is stroked. that would up it more. until i know exactly what he has done, i got to give him the benefit of the doubt

my friend is the guy i bought this from he told me it was a 167 i still dont beleive that so i went to the dealer who does all the work on it he said it was a 155 with an 05 head , it might be stroked i dont know but im goin buy what the mechanic said

KXRida
11-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Even with an aftermarket cylinder (athena or another counter part similar to it) and an abnormally large stroke, a 155 is almost unheard of, let alone a 167. How would I know? I used to have an 01 yz 125. The head has nothing to do with expanding displacement.

11-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Even with an aftermarket cylinder (athena or another counter part similar to it) and an abnormally large stroke, a 155 is almost unheard of, let alone a 167. How would I know? I used to have an 01 yz 125. The head has nothing to do with expanding displacement.

go on thumper talk theyll tell you !

yfzrider310
11-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Some guy just emailed me wanting to trade his 1997 cr 125 for my 2003 blaster. Is this a good deal? I dont know if its worth a straight up trade. what year did the cr 125 get an aluminum frame? Thanks guys

KXRida
11-11-2008, 12:18 PM
go on thumper talk theyll tell you !

already am an avid member. Email steve at moto 814 racing and he'll be more than happy to set you straight on your numbers.

I'm going to talk a pretty good assumption here and state that you are rather new to bikes just by judging your posts and "mods" list. Would that be safe to say?

yes an 05 head may fit, but the cylinder walls are not physically think enough even with a large stroke for your claimed "167" let alone 155. Ever wonder why you don't see 155 kits on the market? Since when did they start making staged jet kits now? One of the only jet kits (and probably one of the best) is a JD kit and it is a kit as in it offers a wide selection of jets and needles. Jetting doesn't go by stages and needs to continuously be adjusted for optimum performance. Then a yz 125 doing 92 mph? Come on man! I don't believe in santa clause anymore. with a 12 tooth front and 45 rear on my ktm it just cranked out at 86 mph and that was 100% wound out, not that anyone would be going 86 mph on an mx track, but it was nice to know the top speed just for a piece of mind.

Nothing against you or anything personal so don't take offense, but get your stories straight first. Your outlandish and erratic posts just point one in the direction of assuming you are very very new and unexperiend in the dirt bike world.

KXRida
11-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Some guy just emailed me wanting to trade his 1997 cr 125 for my 2003 blaster. Is this a good deal? I dont know if its worth a straight up trade. what year did the cr 125 get an aluminum frame? Thanks guys

I believe 98 was the first year for the aluminium frame.

krt400ex
11-11-2008, 01:00 PM

oh, i know the head has nothing to do with displacement, but i have heard of yz167's before

krt400ex
11-11-2008, 01:03 PM
I believe 98 was the first year for the aluminium frame.

you are correct. my friend had a '97 though and i loved it

11-11-2008, 01:06 PM
already am an avid member. Email steve at moto 814 racing and he'll be more than happy to set you straight on your numbers.

I'm going to talk a pretty good assumption here and state that you are rather new to bikes just by judging your posts and "mods" list. Would that be safe to say?

yes an 05 head may fit, but the cylinder walls are not physically think enough even with a large stroke for your claimed "167" let alone 155. Ever wonder why you don't see 155 kits on the market? Since when did they start making staged jet kits now? One of the only jet kits (and probably one of the best) is a JD kit and it is a kit as in it offers a wide selection of jets and needles. Jetting doesn't go by stages and needs to continuously be adjusted for optimum performance. Then a yz 125 doing 92 mph? Come on man! I don't believe in santa clause anymore. with a 12 tooth front and 45 rear on my ktm it just cranked out at 86 mph and that was 100% wound out, not that anyone would be going 86 mph on an mx track, but it was nice to know the top speed just for a piece of mind.

Nothing against you or anything personal so don't take offense, but get your stories straight first. Your outlandish and erratic posts just point one in the direction of assuming you are very very new and unexperiend in the dirt bike world.

some are mine some are from the guy i bought my fourwheeler [ his nephew is who i got thhis bike from] , he showed me this site and listed most of the mods for me but apparently he didnt know , or mis understood adam, and put the mods as tht now as i dont know everything i know a little about alot , so i didnt reall see the mistake as i woulfd like to call them untill yall brought it to my attention, now the garmin said we were going 92 but they are of , so i wouldnt be suprised if it was running around 86 maybe higher, but this bike suprising rips for a 125 i know the sprockets are over sive caus i did have to buy a larger chain like 130? and the front sprocket is really close to the swing arm , ..... but damn those ktms are quick! my friends has a ton of mods on his and when we both hit fith i walk buy him [keep in mind i have 6 gears] but since you know it all why does my bike start giving out when i hit topspeed it feels like it has more gear to go but its almost choking?

KXRida
11-11-2008, 02:23 PM
oversized sprockets (bigger) actually give you more acceleration and less top speed.

could be potential jetting issues, intake, fuel, compression... could be a number of things...

I would start with your main jet and go from there. Is it always breaking apart on top end?

A 167 has been done on a yz. Rick peterson along with enzo motorsports built a super stroker yz that did reach approx. 167cc. The kit was offered for a very very limited time for around $1500. Max power also built a custom 167 for dirt rider magazine I believe. They were also the builders of the 300+cc yz250.

HOWEVER!!! These were done on the 05 and up motors... different cylinders. Not completely doubting that it can't be done, but for the year specified, it's highly unlikely. My only beef with the 01 yz's were the suspension. I ended up killing two inner struts on them. Could've been dumb bad luck, who knows, but yamaha really stepped it up in 02 and up with their suspension.

11-11-2008, 04:36 PM
oversized sprockets (bigger) actually give you more acceleration and less top speed.

could be potential jetting issues, intake, fuel, compression... could be a number of things...

I would start with your main jet and go from there. Is it always breaking apart on top end?

A 167 has been done on a yz. Rick peterson along with enzo motorsports built a super stroker yz that did reach approx. 167cc. The kit was offered for a very very limited time for around $1500. Max power also built a custom 167 for dirt rider magazine I believe. They were also the builders of the 300+cc yz250.

HOWEVER!!! These were done on the 05 and up motors... different cylinders. Not completely doubting that it can't be done, but for the year specified, it's highly unlikely. My only beef with the 01 yz's were the suspension. I ended up killing two inner struts on them. Could've been dumb bad luck, who knows, but yamaha really stepped it up in 02 and up with their suspension.

i got thetotal control o i figured out why the chainislonger the swing armis longer and wider thn stock[i know width has nothin todo with it] and yes your prolly right the sprocket may be smaller now looking at it it seems that way but the front looks a little larger [than normal] but it does have an 05 head on it i think its a stroker 167 or 155 im assuming [and hoping to be safe] that its really a 155 unlike my buddy told me!my buddy who races [a yzf 250] thought it was incredible peppy for a 125

quick question my tire is bald i cracked my rim and i think my spokes are ok and tube and spoke cover whent bad everything except for hub and tht stuff well i thought i could get it fixed at a local shop for under $350.00 like it was at my dealer well he says he could fix every thing for a little over $200 well he calls me a month in a half latter saying that its ready and its $458.00 he said he would get me a good used tire he had also , am i crazy or is he ripping me off?

pro-rider46
11-11-2008, 05:23 PM
just a quick question. is there any companys out there that make extended swingarms for dirtbikes. i have been looking for one for a while now and havent had much luck. most of the ones i have seen are just hacked up stockers.

11-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
just a quick question. is there any companys out there that make extended swingarms for dirtbikes. i have been looking for one for a while now and havent had much luck. most of the ones i have seen are just hacked up stockers.

if i can figure out who makes mine ill let you know

11-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46

try pivot works web site!

KXRida
11-11-2008, 05:57 PM
try pivot works web site!

pivot works does not make swingarms... they make replacement bearings. Honestly I'm not sure of an aftermarket company for swingarms.

11-11-2008, 06:20 PM
pivot works does not make swingarms... they make replacement bearings. Honestly I'm not sure of an aftermarket company for swingarms.

i know mines longer and wider than stock , i guareente u some one does , i mean look at hill climb races their swingarms cant be homemade,

11-11-2008, 06:23 PM
well some of themare but look at the others heres the links\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMJg_wgSr6Q

KXRida
11-11-2008, 08:28 PM
most of the very extended swingarms are custom made to spec or lengthened by the riders.

As far as your swing arm being different, you'd have to have different bearings, spacers, axle, wheel spacers, etc. Not saying that it's not, but it's highly unlikely that it's different. Just wouldn't be worth the time/money/effort to have a longer swingarm on an mx bike. Wider wouldn't really help you out a whole bunch either. For strictly mx, I can't recall any aftermarket swingarm companies.

11-12-2008, 02:34 PM
most of the very extended swingarms are custom made to spec or lengthened by the riders.

As far as your swing arm being different, you'd have to have different bearings, spacers, axle, wheel spacers, etc. Not saying that it's not, but it's highly unlikely that it's different. Just wouldn't be worth the time/money/effort to have a longer swingarm on an mx bike. Wider wouldn't really help you out a whole bunch either. For strictly mx, I can't recall any aftermarket swingarm companies.

not sure why everyone thinks this bike was set up for mx? but my buddy set it up for woods racing , yeah its got longer bake cables , i dont know why he would but hes got a lot of money so i didnt ask questions

yfzrider310
11-12-2008, 06:03 PM
sorry to bring this thread back but do you guys think a cr 250 is too much power for a novice dirtbike rider? I've rode a cr 85, and a peice of S**t yz 250 a little. Also if I do motocross do I want a 125 or a 250? Does the aluminum vs steel frame a big deal. Can you feel the difference? Sorry for so many questions im more of a quad guy lol.

KXRida
11-12-2008, 06:59 PM
not sure why everyone thinks this bike was set up for mx? but my buddy set it up for woods racing , yeah its got longer bake cables , i dont know why he would but hes got a lot of money so i didnt ask questions

most woods riders would want a shorter swing arm :confused:

sorry to bring this thread back but do you guys think a cr 250 is too much power for a novice dirtbike rider? I've rode a cr 85, and a peice of S**t yz 250 a little. Also if I do motocross do I want a 125 or a 250? Does the aluminum vs steel frame a big deal. Can you feel the difference? Sorry for so many questions im more of a quad guy lol.

cr 250 does have a good bit of power, but as long as you work your way up to the power and get used to it, you should be fine. For mx, a 125 is a lot of fun, but a lot of work. Great starter bike. It REALLY teaches you how to use a clutch. The 250's don't require as much clutch work and are just power monsters, so they can be fun as well, espeically in the mud! The aluminum framed bikes are going to handle better, no doubt about that. That doesn't mean the steel frames are horrible, but the aluminum will handle better. I still make my steel framed yzf work, but the 06 will infact handle better.

yfzrider310
11-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks kxrida. Does anyone have an explanation as why yamaha, suzuki, and kawasaki got into the aluminum frame so late. I mean I see cr250's with aluminum frames back in 1997 but the yzf didn't get it till 06. Did honda have some sort of copyright deal on the aluminum frame?

KXRida
11-13-2008, 09:59 AM
honestly, I couldn't even tell you why. Most of the world is wondering the same thing you are lol.

krt400ex
11-13-2008, 11:33 AM
i think it is because they were learning from honda. hondas original aluminum frames ad handling issues and were way too rigid. it isnt so much the fact that it is aluminum as it is the geometry that actually improves the handling. the aluminum has its pluses, but it is mostly a weight saver and a good way to make the chassis stronger and more rigid. once honda got the handling dialed a few yrs ago is when you saw the other companies develop and put into production their own version of the twin spar frame (save for yamaha that went with a plug and play). this is why i think the other companies took their time with it.