PDA

View Full Version : new swing arm

SMS
11-07-2008, 10:29 PM
What do you guys think my new lt swing arm? It has 9 1/14'' of rear wheel travel. Its ok to hurt my feelings. I would like your guys imput.

SMS
11-07-2008, 10:30 PM

Logan #34's Dad
11-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Hey Shawn, I can't wait to see all your stuff on Logan's quad. Is it lighter then most?
Rocky

raidernut
11-08-2008, 12:07 AM
what length rear shock are you setting up for?

SMS
11-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Ya I think he will really like it and it will be good to see him and Brayden having fun this your. Let me know whaen you want to start.

SMS
11-08-2008, 07:13 AM
The rear shock is a 15.25''long and Elka has all of our specs and the can be purchased through us or any Elka dealer Like Mark or Gary. Thanks for looking

thedeatons
11-08-2008, 10:48 PM
I am going to be fabricating a swingarm for my daughter's KX60 conversion. Do you have the carrier adjustment plates available for sale so I may weld them to my own forward portion of the swingarm?

SMS
11-09-2008, 07:44 AM
We are working on a kx 65 drr conversion as well, we are using a round housing. I have both just give me a call and I can go over it with you.
Thanks

SMS
11-13-2008, 07:43 PM
here are some new pics of the snyder drr swing arm it is 13.75 inches long and the shock is 15.25'' long and we have 9 1/4'' travel at the wheel we are going to go test the bike this weekend

SMS
11-13-2008, 07:43 PM

SMS
11-13-2008, 07:44 PM

SMS
11-13-2008, 07:48 PM

raidernut
11-13-2008, 08:19 PM
With that long of a rear shock, does the bike sit up higher in the back than the front? any pics of it sitting down?

thedeatons
11-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Good question....

I have been thinking about the swingarm that I need to fab, and was thinking of having multiple lower shock mount locations in case we ever switch to a longer shock... What do you guys think of that?

SMS
11-14-2008, 08:23 AM
I will have to get a pic, it left last night to go get tested. It sits at 7'' ride height sits nice looks good

BradLoomis
11-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Watch the "drop" on long travel suspension. If the swingarm swings forward to far on the drop, when the quad lands it will have to push the rearend backwards before it can raise to absorb the impact. When it does this, it slaps the frontend down and cause the rider to buck forward like a bronco rider. This was very normal in the Blasters because the swingarm is so long compared to the wheel base. Try mounting your shock as low as you can in the swingarm. Remember you have the carrier back there and ou can get it lower than you might think. I can get ours to rub the tires on the fenders when you squish it all the way.

Ride height in the rear changes the caster angle in the front depending on the rider weight. Also the longer the travel, the more the caster gets affected. I am sure you know this SMS, this info was more meant for James and others.

thedeatons
11-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks Brad.... Excellent information as usual.

So what you are saying is that perhaps instead of mounting the lower shock on top of the square tubing in the swingarm I could mount it below, or simply in the cavity between the two square tubes?

Ideally it would be nice for the tires to nearly touch or barely kiss the underside of the rear fenders under full compression. How can I make sure this will happen before I start drilling holes/welding tubing in for the shock mount?

Should I fully compress the shock somehow and hold it fully compressed, then swing the swingarm up into the fenders until the tires are where I want them at full compression, then mark where the shock eyelet lines up in that position?

Thanks again for all the help, and I love the fab work by the way. I can't wait to show mine.....

Brad, you have a PM...

raidernut
11-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by BradLoomis
Watch the "drop" on long travel suspension. If the swingarm swings forward to far on the drop, when the quad lands it will have to push the rearend backwards before it can raise to absorb the impact. When it does this, it slaps the frontend down and cause the rider to buck forward like a bronco rider. This was very normal in the Blasters because the swingarm is so long compared to the wheel base. Try mounting your shock as low as you can in the swingarm. Remember you have the carrier back there and ou can get it lower than you might think. I can get ours to rub the tires on the fenders when you squish it all the way.

Ride height in the rear changes the caster angle in the front depending on the rider weight. Also the longer the travel, the more the caster gets affected. I am sure you know this SMS, this info was more meant for James and others.

Some one needs to explain this theory to the Apex suspension guru, as this is exactly what is wrong with their new "long travel" bikes.

BradLoomis
11-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Remove the spring off of the shock and you will only have to overcome the nitrogen pressure. You can then tack in a mount location and cycle the suspension to make sure it is the travel that you were looking for before you make your permanent mount.

Remember that as you move the shock to different locations that the closer to the swingarm pivot tube, the softer the shock will feel. So closer to the rear carrier would also make it feel stiffer.

Geometry also means that a shorter, stiffer shock closer to the pivot tube will usually have more overall travel than a longer softer shock mounted closer to the carrier.

SMS
11-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the info ya I try to stay under 30 degrees on the swing arm. YA I wish some one would tell apex alot of things.

thedeatons
11-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Got it Brad..... I was planning to keep the distance from the lower shock mount to the swingarm pivot the same, but it was the actual "height" of the lower rear shock mount that I was concerned with, as you mentioned above.

My inbox is cleaned out now, in case you attempted to return my PM.

SMS
11-17-2008, 07:48 AM
We rode this week end and it went good so far. I will get some pics of testing this week and try to keep you guys informed.