PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used both MX and XC GTThunder Links?

EMX5636
11-07-2008, 10:15 AM
I am wondering if anyone on here has ridden with both GTThunder rear shock links? I do race MX, but I still use the quad for some trails, and Coal Hill. Basically what I want to know, has anyone felt a difference in leverage or handling between the two links? Lazarus from GTT told me there is a 3/4" difference in ride height between the two. If there isn't any ride difference, I might like having a bit more clearance.

Also, I'm assuming if I buy the 06-up linkage from him, and get an 06 shock, I can swap the 06 swingarm onto my 04 correct?

ricksmx865
11-07-2008, 04:21 PM
as far as riding both links i cannot help i have only riddin the XC link

as for the swinger question, yes if get 06 link, shock, and swinger it will bolt onto your 04

EMX5636
11-09-2008, 08:08 AM
How about an opinion question. What rear end setup handles better... An aftermarket +1 swingarm with an 04-05 linkage, or a stock 06 swingarm and linkage? Both would be with a GTT link and re-done shock. Thanks!

Justin W

11-09-2008, 09:53 AM
The MX would have more clearance right? or the other way around? I though the XC sat lower so I assume the link hangs lower and when it bottoms out the lower link will make the frame closer to the ground and the exhaust/subframe/airbox easier to hit?

k4f5x0r
11-09-2008, 10:48 AM
xc has more ground clearance. mx has less cause its not needed.

Seano300ex
11-11-2008, 10:28 AM
I had a question on a similer topic, i ride xc and mx, usually xc but i was thinking about getting the gt mx rear link to get my rear end to squat more, so if i did get the mx link would it effect me riding xc that much?? thanks-sean

mak400ex
11-11-2008, 07:51 PM
mx is for 18" tires and xc is for 20" tires

not to say you could run either tire size on either link.

so the mx is lowwer

i have a xc and it works great -

Seano300ex
11-11-2008, 09:16 PM
yea i hear ya i just want the rear end to buck less, but i dont wanna do a full xc set up cause i like to hit the mx track also

chadbarger18
11-11-2008, 09:24 PM
i cant help with which one is better but the xc with 18s sits really low but the frame will hit the ground and i cracked my airbox but it rides amazingly better than stock

IMSROLL450R
11-12-2008, 05:28 AM
I have ridden on both with my 06 and couldnt tell any difference in the ride between the two althought they were both TONS better than stock. The MX rides very low and hangs lower on the bike as well. It gets a lot more beat up on the bottom compared to what the XC link looked like when I took it off.

fastredrider44
11-12-2008, 10:36 AM
The xc link is designed for a softer shock than the mx. I know I can't get as much air as I could stock before I bottom out.

I have the xc link, and have never ridden on the mx link, but I would think the xc would be a smoother ride. Regardless of what link you get, you will need a stiffer spring, or just send your shock to Laz and he will take care of you.

400exrider707
11-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
The xc link is designed for a softer shock than the mx. I know I can't get as much air as I could stock before I bottom out.

Well if you haven't had the shock built to match the link that makes sense, the link adds a more progressive rate to the shock...

I used an MX link since I mostly raced MX, but for trail riding I'd just slap on taller tires and go, still rode like a cadillac vs. stock.

EMX5636
11-13-2008, 07:20 PM
I think that's what I'll probably end up doing. Getting the MX link, and keeping a set of 20" or so tires laying around for trails... Any more opinions are definitely appreciated though!

Justin

EMX5636
11-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Well I just picked up a +1.25" swingarm for my 04. So I guess I'm not swapping to the 2006 stuff. The swinger is an HRE. That doesn't change the linkage that that I can run right? I have it on there now with the stock one, and it's already an inch lower than it was before, so I don't want to go too low.

Justin

11-16-2008, 09:21 AM
I wonder which link they use for sand setups. Hopefully the MX, even though I run 20" tires in the rear I am guessing the MX link with 20" tires would make it so the fram wont be so close to the ground when it bottoms out and the link wouldnt hang as low and I could still use my skid plate just shim it down. Everytime I try to ask Laz something I get in a couple questions and he will never reply back

EMX5636
11-16-2008, 09:40 AM
FoxRider- I'm surprised you're having trouble getting responses back from Laz. I haven't even bought anything from him yet, and I've always gotten an email back within a day or two.

11-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by EMX5636
FoxRider- I'm surprised you're having trouble getting responses back from Laz. I haven't even bought anything from him yet, and I've always gotten an email back within a day or two.

yeah he will respond to like only so many questions or something idk he doesnt want to be talkative and very helpful all i have usually gotten were short and vague answers. I asked what on the subframe needed to be modified and how should i modify it? he said take your shocks off and you will know what to do. well that answered what needed to be modified although he could have easily told me instad of me going through taking everything off but it didnt answer how i should modify it. then i asked about the link and if one hangs ower than the other. he never answered back. then i asked what setup i would need and explained my riding he said a sand shock setup. i asked what link would be used and never got a reply back. Santo Derisi on the other hand seemed more interested in his future customers shocks and was able to help me out and answer everything at once. I like what GTT does but I dont like the attitude Laz has towards future customers. Thats the only thing that made me start to turn away from GTT

rap169
11-17-2008, 04:22 PM
thats just an assumption. I felt the same way about his short vauge answers until talking to him on the phone. He actually is a nice guy and very helpful, also very imformative.