PDA

View Full Version : are Frame Gusset kits worth it?

nynetwo9
11-07-2008, 08:25 AM
I have a 05 450R with a Lonestar +1 swinger, LT Laeger +2 arms, and Pep Zps's. I ride mx and was wondering how well gusset kits work? I was planning on getting one this winter but someone told me the can mess up the frame and make it worse. that true? I cracked my 99 400ex frame a long time ago, so crackin my r frame is probably a big possibilty next year. how often does honda 450 frames crack?

whats a good ont to get? or doesnt it matter?

kawabunga
11-07-2008, 08:34 AM
On the left side of the frame, top frame rail, right behind the motor mount is a very common spot for 450R frames to crack. Putting in a gusset kit before it happens is a good way to help prevent it. Some people argue that gusset kits are bad because they stiffen up the frame and don't allow it to flex as much as it should, but that's debatable, I think. I personally installed a BARE kit, it covers the troublesome spots and is reasonably priced, that's a propular one. Otherwise I believe Rath and Lonestar make kits as well. Some people mix the kits. Depends on how much you want to spend I guess. I think they're a good idea if ride hard, If you're a casual rider and don't do much jumping if any, then it's probably not worth your time.

Fred55
11-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Gussets are good if they have testing to back them up, it is true that you can stiffen a frame too much and you will see new areas start to fail. A gusset from a well known company is a good thing, just don't strip the frame down and add triangles to as many places as you can lol

Atvmx51
11-07-2008, 09:43 AM
JB Racing makes an awesome kit.

BlaineKaiser450
11-07-2008, 04:05 PM
its definatly worth it. I have a Bare kit and its perfect