PDA

View Full Version : CBD filing petition to list Dune Beetle at Glamis

Crowdog
12-12-2002, 09:01 PM
Citizens Move for Endangered Species Act Protection for
Endemic Algodones Dunes Beetle

Andrew’s dunes scarab beetle threatened by off-road vehicles, pesticides and Bush roll-backs

Contact: Daniel R. Patterson, Desert Ecologist 909.659.6053 x 306
More Information: Petition

WASHINGTON -- Today, the Center for Biological Diversity filed a scientific petition with Interior Secretary Gale Norton and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) to list the Andrew’s dunes scarab beetle as an endangered species and designate critical habitat. The beetle (Pseudocotalpa andrewsi Hardy) is highly restricted in range, found only at the Algodones Dunes in the Sonoran Desert of Imperial County, SE California and NE Baja California, Mexico.

The beetle is endangered largely due to the historic, ongoing, and imminent increased destruction of its habitat by extensive off-road vehicle (ORV) use on the Algodones Dunes. The dune system will occasionally experience upwards of 240,000 ORV users on a single busy weekend, and a pending Bush administration decision would roll-back environmental protections on nearly 50,000 dunes acres, opening 85% of the beetle’s habitat to ORV damage.

Pesticide drift from Imperial Valley agricultural spraying is also likely harming beetles.

“The beetle’s decline mirrors the decline of natural values at the dunes,” said Monica Bond, CBD biologist. “The Bush roll-backs at the dunes make ESA protection essential now.”

ORVs at the Algodones Dunes use special tires that cut deeply into the sand, directly killing beetles and wrecking habitat. Beetles are most active February -- April, a biologically critical time that coincides with the season of heavy ORV use on the dunes.

The Andrew’s dune scarab beetle was first proposed for ESA protection by FWS in 1978. At that time, FWS noted “this action is being taken because of their decreased population levels and anticipated adverse modification of their habitat.” FWS stated in the proposed rules that “the continued disruption of dune troughs by off-road vehicles prevents the accumulation of dead organic matter upon which the immature stages of this beetle feed.” In October 1980, FWS issued a notice to withdraw the proposal because final rulemaking had not been completed within a then required 2-year deadline. ESA protection for P. andrewsi was therefore denied due to the failure of FWS to meet mandatory statutory deadlines rather than due to new scientific data indicating a listing was not warranted.

FWS’s failure to provide legal protection for the beetle resulted in 24 years of dunes management by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) that failed to take into account the impacts of increasing ORV use on the beetle and the other rare and endangered fauna of the dunes. Currently, BLM is proposing a new management plan that not only fails to protect the beetle, but also eliminates ORV closures designed to protect a threatened plant found at the dunes, the Peirson’s milkvetch.

FWS routinely cites an inadequate budget and heavy work load as justification for listing delays. But it is a crisis of its own making. The agency’s budget is established by the Secretary of Interior in her budget request to Congress. Congress routinely grants near the requested amount. The inadequate budget, therefore, is not the fault of Congress but of Secretary Norton who purposefully squelches the listing budget to prevent species from being added the endangered species list.

FWS’s entire Endangered Species Act budget has increased over 500% since 1992. The listing budget is the only line item that decreased in real dollars over that period. Every other line item increased at least 300%. The budget freeze is clearly political, not economic.

Crowdog
12-12-2002, 09:02 PM
Just another example of why the Endangered Species Act must be reformed. More info:
www.crowley-offroad.com/reform_the_esa.htm

Chef
12-12-2002, 09:12 PM
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really just want to get rid of those people, and all their little beetle buddies. :grr

airheadedduner
12-12-2002, 11:09 PM
Thats it!!!!! From now on I am stepping on every bug I see:grr :eek:

Str8Wicked
12-13-2002, 09:57 AM
If these shizzznit heads spent more time worrying about our life's instead of the lil freaky beatle's than maybe the world would be a much better place.. All these people who put so much time into things that are not really important to the world or it's future....

just my 2 cents...

Crowdog
12-13-2002, 01:46 PM
Tiny beetle is newest threat in sand dunes

BY RANDY REESE
Dec 13, 2002
Could a tiny insect close more of the Imperial Sand Dunes or keep acreage already shut down from being re-opened?

That's a question the U.S. Department of the Interior is being asked to answer after the Center for Biological Diversity in Tuscon filed a petition asking that the Andrew's Dunes Scarab Beetle be placed on the endangered species list and its habitat designated as critical.

The Center for Biological Diversity wants the endangered species for the Andrew's Dunes Scarab Beetle, sown here in this photo from the Algodones Dunes Traveling Photographic Exhibit. Photo by Andrew M. Harvey
The beetle, according to Desert Biologist Daniel Patterson of the CBD, is only found in the southern California dunes just west of Yuma.

But local off-roaders and dune enthusiasts think closing off more of the 156,000-acre, federally regulated dunes would be a terrible mistake. "It's our land," Yuma's Glen Vandervoort said Thursday after hearing of the most recent request. "We can live side by side with any endangered insect. We have proved that by taking better care of the milk vetch out there."

Vandervoort, a local date producer, is so adamant about the closure of more and more natural land in the Southwest that he is paying for a large outdoor advertising sign that will be placed along Interstate 8 just across the California border.

"The sign is my attempt to protest and just tells the folks that enough is enough with these environmental extremists and fuzzy science that seems to always be proved wrong in the end," Vandervoort said.

The Peirson's milk vetch was placed on the endangered list two years ago and more of the Imperial Dunes was closed to off-road enthusiasts.

Doug Krofta, branch chief for Endangered Listing for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Carlsbad, Calif., said the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, which manages the dunes area, has done a good job of managing the milk vetch situation.

"I think studies are proving that the milk vetch in the closed-off areas is doing as well as the same type of plants in the open areas. I have heard that the BLM is planning on asking permission to reopen some of the closed-off areas," Krofta said.

But Patterson and his group hope that the beetle petition will keep that from happening. "From our studies, we have found that the damage has already been done in the open areas and very few beetles remain. But, if the closed areas remain closed, we think we can save the beetle from extinction."

Greg Gorman, a spokesman for the American Sand Association, said his group is not against solid scientific studies. "If this can be proved then we will not be against it. But, in the past, some of the results that have been found have been proved to be wrong.

"We need to stop things like this. First they take our land and our lakes and the next thing you know they will take our freedom.

‘‘The ASA wants everyone to be able to enjoy the great beauty of this country," Gorman said.

---
Randy Reese can be reached at rreese@yumasun.com or 539-6855.

http://yumasun.com/artman/uploads/2002art/1213-beetle.jpg

http://yumasun.com/artman/publish/articles/story_3073.shtml

VegasEx'r
12-13-2002, 02:25 PM
Given the HUGE contributions that both the Milk Vetch plant and this beetle have made to the inhabitability (is that a word or did I just make it up?) of this planet, I can see how this is so important to these organizations that they protect them (:blah :huh ).

Seriously, though, I am sick & tired of all the tree-hugging, anti-gun, bleeding heart liberal BS, especially that which comes out of Kalifornia (it seems like the majority of it comes from there).

Str8Wicked
12-13-2002, 02:31 PM
How bout I go kill all the lil beatles so they don't have to worry about there extinction.... They'll already be extinct.... lol

Crowdog
12-13-2002, 05:31 PM
http://www.ivpressonline.com/display/inn_news/news04.txt

A conservation group that took part in a lawsuit to close portions of the Imperial Sand Dunes filed a petition Thursday to list a dunes scarab beetle as an endangered species.

The Center for Biological Diversity filed the petition with the U.S. secretary of the Interior to list the Andrews dune scarab beetle as a federally threatened or endangered species. The move requests critical habitat for the beetle be set aside, removing it from off-road vehicle use.

"The Bush administration's push to reopen the dunes makes it necessary for us to take this step," center Desert Ecologist Daniel Patterson said.

The Andrews dune scarab beetle, scientific name: pseudocotalpa andrewsi Hardy, has only been found in the Imperial Sand Dunes, Patterson said.

Since the administration is moving to remove protected habitat, the center felt strongly this listing is needed, he said.

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management, which oversees the dunes, had a 1987 management plan that better protected the beetle but has ignored that plan, Patterson said.

Local off-road enthusiast and American Sand Association member Charles Mobley said the petition was "just another ploy by the CBD to close the dunes."

"We'll fight this one just like we fought the milkvetch," Mobley said.

The center successfully sued to close portions of the dunes to protect the threatened Peirson's milkvetch. The ASA is fighting to reopen the closed areas, saying the plant is not threatened but plentiful in the dunes.

Mobley said he's seen the beetles many times in the dunes. Sometimes there are so many flying around they become pests.

BLM biologist Gavin Wright said the bureau does not have a monitoring program for the beetle. If the beetle is listed as threatened or endangered, more money might be available for monitoring.

The BLM had a survey done in 1991 by Fred Andrews, for whom the beetle was named. But the survey was a preliminary study and could not be used as a baseline for future counts and monitoring, Wright said.

The decision to list the beetle will be made by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

The center's petition to list the beetle states increased off-road vehicle activity has decreased vegetation in the dunes, which has a negative effect on the beetle.

The petition lists specific studies on the Imperial Sand Dunes between 1976 and 1983. Other studies, from 1974 to 1999, state the negative effect of off-road vehicle activity on species.

Mobley said the petition proves the beetles are not in danger.

"Those studies are 20 to 30 years old and there are still plenty of beetles in the dunes," he said.

Alan Hardy, who co-authored many of the studies on the beetle with Andrews, said the beetle was proposed to go on the Endangered Species List when it was discovered but administrative problems kept it from being listed.

The Andrews dune scarab beetle lives about six inches under the surface, at the interface of dry sand and wet sand. The beetles feed on rotting vegetation, Hardy said.

"If you get off-road vehicle activity, you remove the vegetation necessary for the beetle," he said.

It would be difficult to do a baseline study of the beetle because the population is so dependent on weather and seasonality, Hardy said.

"One night you can see dozens of them, the next night you won't see any," he said.

Coachella Valley Preserve Director Cameron Burrows said the Imperial Sand Dunes has many unique species because it is an isolated environment similar to the Galapagos Islands, which shaped Charles Darwin's theory of evolution.

Dunes systems tend to be so isolated, once a species has evolved a way to live there, it can't live in other places, Burrows said.

Mobley said the off-road community has worked with the BLM on educating off-roaders to respect closed areas and protected species. Environmental education has become key to future off-road success, he said.

"The best thing all these lawsuits and petitions did was force us to get educated to protect our rights," he said.

>> Staff Writer Laura Mitchell can be reached at 337-3452 or lauramitchell9@yahoo.com

ridesa02400EX
12-14-2002, 09:15 PM
thats a lot of reading and i didnt read it but i think the stupid dumba@ss tree hugers should just shut the he11 up and quit whining about little bugs that are dieing, I mean wow its a little beetle like it is real important to the world

EX LONERIDER
12-22-2002, 12:18 AM
how the heck do you destroy sand if thats their "supposed" habitat????????? besides........ on the off season... doesnt the desert just reconform from all the winds blowing sand all over the place???????? theres not half a million people riding out there when its 120 out there last i looked........ all it is , is someone got a hair up their ***** and complained cus some dude on a dirtbike sand blasted their shoes so he decided to call his BLM buddie and told him some stupid reason to close the deserts, and all the enviromental nazis jumped on the bandwagon and decided to b*tch too........ it truly sucks...... i say burn the tree huggers!!!!! not that i have anything against the enviroment..... its just id like to enjoy it, as much as the next guy...... just my 2 cents