PDA

View Full Version : Best QUITE exhaust system?

chipworkz
11-06-2008, 10:46 PM
I am getting ready to start racing again and here in California I need to be at 96db or below. You have to pass tech inspection or you can't race! Also I am one of those that have seen a lot of the desert closed and we need to do what we can to keep what we can. To me load is NOT better and I wish more people shared my same concerns. With all that said it is hard to find any of the manufactures listing the db levels.

I am really looking at the FMF Q4 with power bomb. I would consider the DASA with quiet core but they don't list the db level. The 16" 99db of coarse won't meet the 96db limit so it is no good.

The Dyno charts showing DASA to be the best is completely irrelevant to me and most of the people I know since we ride in areas where all of those pipes are illegal.

Does anyone have experience with the FMF Q4 or another quiet exhaust?

I will be running a LTR intake tube with custom closed lid style intake, PCIII and quiet exhaust then tuned with a dyno.

Thanks for any help.

4wheelinmatt
11-07-2008, 01:41 PM
What series do you race that the db limit is 96? The lowest I have seen was 99 db and thats why i have the quiet Dasa.

chipworkz
11-07-2008, 01:49 PM
The legal limit here in California is 96db in general and I ride in the Desert where the rangers will check for a spark arrestor and such. The series that I will be getting back into is Desert racing District 37 which uses public lands and not a closed coarse. From what I have read in other posts they do sound checks at tech inspection.

DirtyDawg
11-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Over at KFX450 central, FUEL ATV did a pipe shootout. I think he had posted db levels with most of the pipes he tested.

chipworkz
11-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by DirtyDawg
Over at KFX450 central, FUEL ATV did a pipe shootout. I think he had posted db levels with most of the pipes he tested.

I have seen that and that is what I was referring to when I said
[i]The Dyno charts showing DASA to be the best is completely irrelevant to me and most of the people I know since we ride in areas where all of those pipes are illegal.

Unfortunately FUELATV's setup is more of a Dunes setup from what I have read in posts and is not really concerned with sound levels. Having a completely open intake or even a box without a lid also adds a lot of noise.