PDA

View Full Version : whose running wht air filter..

WB450r
11-05-2008, 08:20 PM
ino theres alot of types of air filters out there but whts the best..if there is a best..
i need a new one and jus looking for the overall best before i go buy one...

thanks

atvnut22
11-05-2008, 09:12 PM
i prefer a uni foam filter

hoogiesngrinder
11-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by atvnut22
i prefer a uni foam filter

Same here

kellymi
11-05-2008, 09:17 PM
K&N here

atvnut22
11-05-2008, 09:19 PM
the only time i prefer k&n is in sandy places

jkulysses
11-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I also like the uni or sparks foam filters but all I do with my quad is dune riding so I'm going with a k&n with outerwear.

greenblood01
11-06-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't run K&N, just never been a fan, especially with no airbox, or with no lid. I run UNI's or Sparks foam filters.

ohsobad_chevy
11-06-2008, 04:31 PM
I run an FCI with 8 ply k&n. Awesome power gains!!!

jkulysses
11-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by greenblood01
I don't run K&N, just never been a fan, especially with no airbox, or with no lid. I run UNI's or Sparks foam filters.

Do you do much sand riding though?? I do 99.9% dunes and after a ride or two my filter is so full of sand it's almost impossible to get it all out. K&N with outwear is really the only way to go if all you do is sand. Anything else and I would never put a k&n on my bike.

John451
11-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by jkulysses
Do you do much sand riding though?? I do 99.9% dunes and after a ride or two my filter is so full of sand it's almost impossible to get it all out. K&N with outwear is really the only way to go if all you do is sand. Anything else and I would never put a k&n on my bike.

Sand and street are the only 2 exceptions i have for K&N. Sand's too big to get into a kn but filll the boobie shaped sponge ones lol. And for street because there are no flying pieces of dirt and stuff. For all other apps. I would suggest a uni air filter for the other conditions.. k&n's are sometimes good on snorkels too though because they don't need cages.

mfr422
11-06-2008, 08:43 PM
uni for the dirt and k&n for the sand, I use and outerware on both but definetly on the k&n:D

John451
11-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by mfr422
uni for the dirt and k&n for the sand, I use and outerware on both but definetly on the k&n:D

There are outerwares for uni filters?

greenblood01
11-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by jkulysses

No I don't do much sand riding, mostly motocross which involves major dust and some sawdust. I could see a K&N being the way to go for your conditions, but they're too much of a pain to clean and oil, and the unnoticible power gains aren't worth it.

mfr422
11-07-2008, 05:09 PM
john451,
They make almost any shape imaginable, on my 250r I use the same outerwear for either filter as they are roughly the same size. I even have one on my ktm bike, but I had to call outerwear directly to get it. If you want one made and they don't have your application, they have a lot of generic sizes that will fit or will custom make you one for a small fee all you need are the dimensions. Go to outerwearsracing.com and check it out, they have apps for almost all atv's. Roost on!!

John451
11-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by greenblood01
No I don't do much sand riding, mostly motocross which involves major dust and some sawdust. I could see a K&N being the way to go for your conditions, but they're too much of a pain to clean and oil, and the unnoticible power gains aren't worth it.
Yeah i dont reallly like how the k&n's make the power. Like riding it, it seems wierd. My friend and i both had 300ex's. mine hada pipe, cam and piston, his had a pipe and k&n and mine made better power by a long shot and i would be outa sight before he was in 4th. But his thtrottlel response was reallly wierd because of the k&n.

11-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by John451
Yeah i dont reallly like how the k&n's make the power. Like riding it, it seems wierd. My friend and i both had 300ex's. mine hada pipe, cam and piston, his had a pipe and k&n and mine made better power by a long shot and i would be outa sight before he was in 4th. But his thtrottlel response was reallly wierd because of the k&n.

I rock a K&N and the K&N I can say from experience is much better power wise than foam filters. COuld have been your friends jetting?

John451
11-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I rock a K&N and the K&N I can say from experience is much better power wise than foam filters. COuld have been your friends jetting?

Yeah.. I just talked to him the other day.. He said he didnt jet it... But first off when i asked him he said 'what's a jet?" lol.. Idiot got his finger cut off in his sprocket haha.

jkulysses
11-08-2008, 08:07 AM
There's a chick that wrecked her quad here a while back and somehow managed to get her ring finger cut off in the sprocket and now she has a permanent shocker symbol lol.

trailrider894
11-18-2008, 08:51 PM
well then what filter causes the best power gain on a 400ex??

coryatver
11-18-2008, 08:57 PM
probley a k&n but you might as well not run any filter if you are going to run a k&n

ohsobad_chevy
11-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
probley a k&n but you might as well not run any filter if you are going to run a k&n

You are oblivious. A properly oiled K&N with an outerwear will be as efficient as anything.

11-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
You are oblivious. A properly oiled K&N with an outerwear will be as efficient as anything.

true that K&N with an outerwear = beast.

coryatver
11-19-2008, 10:48 AM
true that K&N with an outerwear = beast.

you need a filter for your filter :huh

bwamos
11-19-2008, 11:03 AM
I have run both K&N and UNI.

They are both good options, and I have never had issue with either one.

I run an outerwear on both as well. Outerwear acts as a Macrofilter and will deflect some water, allowing the filter to do the micro filtering.

A properly oiled K&N filters almost as good as a properly oiled UNI. I ran a K&N on my 300ex for 8 years in Missouri XC conditions w/o an airbox lid with no issues at all.

I also find a K&N much easier to clean and oil (if you buy the K&N cleaner and areosol can K&N spray oil.)

IMHO, you can't go wrong either way as long as they are maintained correctly.

11-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
you need a filter for your filter :huh

yeah and if i had a foam filter i would need a filter for my filter too because it would get clogged up so fast without a outerwears i would have to change the jetting after a couple hours riding.

ohsobad_chevy
11-19-2008, 03:41 PM
yeah and if i had a foam filter i would need a filter for my filter too because it would get clogged up so fast without a outerwears i would have to change the jetting after a couple hours riding.

Right, the outerwear is to catch all the big stuff and to keep the filter from getting saturated, not to mention, it acts as a water repellent to keep the filter dry in wetter conditions.
As stated before, its all about maintenance.

Drewltr450
11-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Ive got a fuel intake on my ltr with no airbox. I used to have a UNI with my stock box and it no wear near filtered and protected as well as my K&N filter ( its pretty much just a giant version of the k&n with an outwear on it.) and my intake tube has never been cleaner. And yes i properly put on my uni filter every time oiled it up really good and put a giant bead of grease were it meats the air box. I agree that a properly cleaned and oiled K&N with an outwear is better than a UNI or a twin air.

ohsobad_chevy
11-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Drewltr450
Ive got a fuel intake on my ltr with no airbox. ( its pretty much just a giant version of the k&n with an outwear on it.)

Are you talking about the Fuel ATV intake or the Fuel Customs Intake?
The Fuel Customs Intake is an enlarged 8 ply K&N filter. (that's what I have)

Drewltr450
11-20-2008, 04:04 AM
fuel atv and yea its pretty much the same thing just a big version of a k&n. it works amazing.

fmftrx300ex
11-04-2009, 06:56 PM
uni run it you wolnt regret it

Trxman300
11-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by atvnut22
the only time i prefer k&n is in sandy places

that is the worst you can do. k&n is more or less for the less dusty rideing conditions. i use a k&n in winter and a stock in summer because the stock is foam and stops all of the sand/dust, wich k&n cant do. i am getting either a uni or twin air for summers.

d3ktrix
11-14-2009, 11:41 PM
I run a sparks filter/ring.
Pretty much just a stock filter w/o a cage lol.

motofreak2772
11-15-2009, 01:14 PM
I run both uni and k&n. I dont really notice a power difference in either but I agree why do I need a filter for my filter? Why not just staple an outerwear to the airbox lol
why doesnt any one put outerwears on unis? Back in my mini days thats what everyone had.

tommygunnz
11-23-2009, 04:04 PM
I always had great luck with uni they last forever

stumpjumper_09
11-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Here's another vote for UNI!!!

tommygunnz
11-23-2009, 04:50 PM
I actually like to run a precharger over my UNI for the simple fact I dont use a air box lid plus I feel that it keeps the filter cleaner and doesnt give up much flow you dont have to but you wont have to clean them as fast either

sportbikeridr
11-25-2009, 04:40 PM
uni is by far the best filter , bang for your buck !