PDA

View Full Version : Honda 400ex battery problem

adawg89
11-05-2008, 06:31 PM
I took my battery to auto zone to see if I was able to charge it. Unfortunately they don't charge 4 wheeler batteries. I bought a trickle charger and put the battery on 12volts and 2 amps and it has been 10 hours and I haven't seen the needle on the charger move at all. I took it off and put it on the 4 wheeler and see if it hold a charge and I turn the key and no electricity. I know you suppose to leave it on for 24 hours but it would of least had a little bit of a charge. I bought a new battery but I'm hoping to at least bring the battery that came with my 4 wheeler back to life and return the other one. Please help me out.

RaginRedneck
11-05-2008, 06:37 PM
If its flat dead you are probably gonna be dog piss jones on that deal.
Use a voltmeter to see if you have anything on the battery at all.

If you do, you can try shocking it.

Get a hold of a battery charger with atleast a 10 AMP selection, if you can find one with a 40 AMP selection for jump starts what will work as well. Only leave it on the 40 AMP selection for about 30 minutes, 10 AMP can go about an hour or so. I recommend watching the battery during this charging period so you don't boil it.

After you shock it, then go to the 2 Amp Trickle charge.

It may work, it may not. Good Luck.

nofear911
11-05-2008, 06:37 PM
The trickle charger that I have requires some voltage in the battery to turn the charger on. I know it doesn't make sense but thats the way it works.
Also, if there is a bad cell in the battery it will not work, even if it tests 12 volts on a meter. Bad ex batterys are very common, sometimes I only get a year or two out of one.

RaginRedneck
11-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by nofear911
The trickle charger that I have requires some voltage in the battery to turn the charger on. I know it doesn't make sense but thats the way it works.
Also, if there is a bad cell in the battery it will not work, even if it tests 12 volts on a meter. Bad ex batterys are very common, sometimes I only get a year or two out of one.

The trickle charger does that because some of them need to read that there is resistance in order to work.

CJM
11-05-2008, 07:07 PM
You need a real charger, go to sears or similar and find a heavy duty charger and leave it on overnight at 2amps.

I forgot to shut the key off and just recharged mine the other day with my sears charger.

adawg89
11-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by RaginRedneck
If its flat dead you are probably gonna be dog piss jones on that deal.
Use a voltmeter to see if you have anything on the battery at all.

If you do, you can try shocking it.

Get a hold of a battery charger with atleast a 10 AMP selection, if you can find one with a 40 AMP selection for jump starts what will work as well. Only leave it on the 40 AMP selection for about 30 minutes, 10 AMP can go about an hour or so. I recommend watching the battery during this charging period so you don't boil it.

After you shock it, then go to the 2 Amp Trickle charge.

It may work, it may not. Good Luck.

When it was at autozone the guy only got 6 volts out of it. I don't know if it is a trickle charge I plug it into a outlet I feel a small vibration on the charger and the needle moved a little bit when i went to 6volts 6amp and went back to 12 volts 2 amp

here's the one I have http://store.schumachermart.com/se-82-6.html

RaginRedneck
11-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Leave it on the 12 Volt, 6 amp feature for a couple of hours and see what you get.

It may be a lost cause:(

hypersnyper6947
11-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Buy a new battery!

adawg89
11-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
Buy a new battery!

I have a new one but I wanted to see if I can charge the other one.

hypersnyper6947
11-05-2008, 08:08 PM
O I C, good luck then, i tried all that with mine nothing worked autozone tried to charge it also. I had to just get a new one.

adawg89
11-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
O I C, good luck then, i tried all that with mine nothing worked autozone tried to charge it also. I had to just get a new one.

Ok thanks now I saw a choke removal tutorial around here what do I need to do before I do the choke removal? I didn't do anything to this 4 wheeler just got it on Monday.