PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to make my xc a double threat!!!

jboz5786
11-05-2008, 06:07 PM
I was wondering if this would be a good idea or not? I have a 08 KTM450 XC and I race the OXC series here in Mo. I bought the xc because its the only series that Mo really has. I wanted to wait to get the SX but I didn't think it would do good in the woods (we don't have very many mx tracks anymore and thats what I like to race)so I went with the xc. I have found one track near me that lets us quad guys race. My question I have is do you think my xc can keep up on a mx track? I know the mods I would have to do like a arm, axle bead locks and mx tries, and the xc is not so diffrent from new sx. Im just worried of the motor. Its a SOC and most 450's a DOC. Does anyone know what I can do to keep up with the pack?Also does anyone also know if my Olhiens will work with mx a arms? :confused: Thanks!

quad97
11-05-2008, 07:39 PM
You shouldn't have any problems running the xc. I raced a 525 all summer for mx. I am about 250# so the 525 is really beneficial for me but the 450 has not problems keeping up with the other manufacturers 450s. The ohlins will work fine, you will just have to add a little more preload. I have been running them all summer as well. Set the ride height at 7.5 inches and have fun.

quad97
11-05-2008, 07:43 PM
I almost forgot, adding a set of vents in the sides of the air box make a noticeable difference in power if you have not already done so. I really like the twin-air ones, no restrictions and they still keep most of the water out. The only place I have seen them is directly from twin air though. Make sure to safety wire them in if you want to keep em.

jboz5786
11-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Im racing more xc then mx the series is over for the mx track and the owner is just seeing what the turn out will look like for the future if he lets atvs race there. Im glad to hear that the stock shocks will work. and as for the axle the stock one is adjustable to 50'' i think so no problem there. As for tire and rims ill just buy a set of tires and rims for mx and a set for xc i guess.

ADTR14
11-06-2008, 04:15 PM
I think if you wanted some extra width you could run wider a-arms and then run different offset wheels for mx and xc. Houser has some xc a-arms that are .5 inches wider and some mx a-arms that are 1.5 inches wider, both are mgc. I dont know if you can use the stock shocks though.

JGlaze
11-17-2008, 08:45 PM
A stablizer is definately the best thing you can get! I put a Precision on my 450 recently and it's amazing how much better it is to ride. MX tires and wheels will be fine for you if MX racing isn't that big in MO.

ScramblerXLE
11-24-2008, 05:45 AM
A local Pro-am rider kicked some major @$$ on a 450 XC with extended a-arms all year. He wound up buying an SX, but he pulled holeshots on his XC against another pro-am guy who is running Joe byrd's old quad from last year, so you know it's got the HP to hang on the MX track.