PDA

View Full Version : Nylon sprockets??

John451
11-05-2008, 05:53 PM
I found nylon rear sprockets online. The guy was saying ther were really strong and alll this crap. I didnt reallly believe it. Has anyone ever heard of these or used these? Other than the lighter weight, i would think the teeth wouldl just rip off. I wouldl have bought them but they were in australia and had $40 shipping.

wilkin250r
11-06-2008, 02:23 AM
Interesting. Post a link so we can check them out.

Material science has come a long way. You can get carbon-fiber rims and axles nowadays, or ceramic knives and bearings, I suppose there could have been advances in Nylon technology as well... :ermm:

chipworkz
11-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Sprockets are one of those things that you don't want to take a chance with. There have been a lot of threads talking about what happens to your case when the chain comes off for whatever reason. Once the factories start putting them on their production bikes, I might think about it. Not that the factories always use the best or most advanced products but because of the liability part. If they think they are good enough to not be a liability to their product then I would think they would be okay to use.

Just my thoughts.

John451
11-06-2008, 07:40 PM
http://www.hitmax.com/epg/epgdata/sprockets_cn.htm
/\/\/\ Info/\/\/\
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SUZUKI-SUPER-TOUGH-NYLON-SPROCKET-RM250-RM400-PE175_W0QQitemZ180135022051QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3523 2QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l126 2
/\/\/\ sprocket + info /\/\/\
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Warrens-Clearance-Warehouse_Super-tough-nylon-sprockets_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ12294836QQftidZ2Q QtZkm
/\/\/\ bunch of sprockets /\/\/\

ccdhowell
11-07-2008, 05:32 AM
From the first website listed above, "this provides a greater bearing surface on idler shaft locations"

Sounds to me like this is for a location that doesn't have any real torque on it, just a support sprocket on long runs of chain on industrial equipment. Just my 2cents.

John451
11-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by ccdhowell
From the first website listed above, "this provides a greater bearing surface on idler shaft locations"

Sounds to me like this is for a location that doesn't have any real torque on it, just a support sprocket on long runs of chain on industrial equipment. Just my 2cents.

Yeah i think that was just what they were saying about their sprockets which were for like assembly lines machines and not so much for weight bearing/torquing But the ones i found on ebay were for a rm250 dirtbike and they had them for streetbikes too.

jeepguy46126
11-07-2008, 08:23 PM
I work in a machine shop and pretty much all we do is plastic. I work with nylon all the time. I say that there is no way at all that it would hold up. Not even a chance, i would try it. The stuff is pretty strong and is good for gears in garage door openers and such ,but not for all the power you would be putting to it. I just had to make a new nylon gear for a guy that had stripped in his sunroof on his car.

John451
11-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by jeepguy46126
I work in a machine shop and pretty much all we do is plastic. I work with nylon all the time. I say that there is no way at all that it would hold up. Not even a chance, i would try it. The stuff is pretty strong and is good for gears in garage door openers and such ,but not for all the power you would be putting to it. I just had to make a new nylon gear for a guy that had stripped in his sunroof on his car.

Yeah, it basically looks like the stuff that those gears are made of. Its not even like a carbonphosphate nylon or anything scientiific sounding that would make it stronger. Unles it takes like a 1400 width chain so the teeth are 2" wide, i dont think they would hold up.. That's like having fishing lline for spokes.