PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoat 300ex stock a-arms?? help

300exQuadracer
12-12-2002, 07:43 PM
Somebody told me that if i powdercoat my stock a-arms i will melt the ball joints or sieze (<-- sp) them up?? anybody know the truth behind this?? help me asap please
thanx exquadracer

nakomis0
12-12-2002, 07:55 PM
You have to bake the a-arms to do powdercoating, so anything that can melt, will.

Ex'r Marlin
12-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Well, it did not happen to me!:)

I did my lower a-arms on my 300 and all four a-arms on my 400.

The temperature they went through was around 395 degrees f if I remember right, for about 10 to 12 minutes.

If you plan on doing this, I recommend covering the rubber boot with high temperature tape. I built a big ball of tape over it to help protect it from the high heat, if this makes sense at all. I also masked the holes where the bushings are.

BTW, I do not know for a fact, but I think heating them up to high temperatures will degrade the life of the a-arms. I think the high heat loosens up the required "viscosity" of the grease in the ball joints. From my experience, I have not "siezed" the ball joints. I have ran the a-arms for over a year now since they got powder coated... Had to replace one top a-arm on the 400 due to the ball joint coming loose in the a-arm... Months after them being powder coated, but I do think it failed premature due to the high heat.:(