PDA

View Full Version : a few tire questions.

gsxrkneedragger
11-04-2008, 06:53 PM
1. i've read on here that you can flip your front tires around to get a wider stance. does this hurt anything?

2. I have stock rims and also 10" beadlock rims. would it be better to run the stock rims or the beadlocks? and why?

3. i have 18" fast trekkers on the back and 20" hole shots on the front. they are both about shot. i have a front set of 22 razors. i like how my quad handles now sitting low, but would i need at least 20's for the back to run the 22's up front? and if i would go up to 20's, how much of a change would there be?

4. whats a good, kinda cheap rear tire?

to help you....i have an 03 z400. i ride mostly harder dirt, fields, trails, and a shale pit. I'm quite new to the quad stuff, but i'm starting to get faster if that helps. thanks in advance for whatever you can help me with.

John451
11-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Well you can flip the rim.. The valve stem may be in the way so you might neet to put washers in to space them away just remember.. every time you flip a rim, god kills a kitten so you better flip both. If i were you i would try it with the stock ones so you dont warp the expensive ones..

For your back tires.. if you put the 22's on and leave the 18s in the back it'll ride like the font's one inch higher than the rear.. Not much of a difference but the seat will be slanted down. Iv had almost every tire setup there is lol. I personally like the feel of 22's in front and back. to me when the fronts are bigger than the rears.. it just dudnt feel right. but that's just me. But the 20's up back and 22's up front would be fine. I had that and i liked it. it feltl pretty racey.. 20's up front and 18's up back is too small feelling for me so 22 and 20's good. I loved how that was because the seat was horizontal and it felt like i was riding on a racequad. it made me not wana selll the quad and i miss havin it around... (stripped countershaft after spending 2k on it)

For tires. look at www.craigslist.com in your area under motorcycles/scooters keyword atv tires. Or you can go to www.bikekbandit.com and click on tires.. atv.. then click size bla blah. They have some decent ones for cheap.. I got some mud ones for 55 each at an atv show and they were awesome.. they were swamp lites 6ply rating.

BlaineKaiser450
11-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by gsxrkneedragger
1. i've read on here that you can flip your front tires around to get a wider stance. does this hurt anything?

2. I have stock rims and also 10" beadlock rims. would it be better to run the stock rims or the beadlocks? and why?

3. i have 18" fast trekkers on the back and 20" hole shots on the front. they are both about shot. i have a front set of 22 razors. i like how my quad handles now sitting low, but would i need at least 20's for the back to run the 22's up front? and if i would go up to 20's, how much of a change would there be?

4. whats a good, kinda cheap rear tire?

to help you....i have an 03 z400. i ride mostly harder dirt, fields, trails, and a shale pit. I'm quite new to the quad stuff, but i'm starting to get faster if that helps. thanks in advance for whatever you can help me with. flipping rims is a cheap way to get more width. people will tell you that it increases bump steer but it DOES NOT. there is just more feed back to the bars. But i wouldnt do it.

Im assuming that you're talking about the front rims because I dont hear about 10 inch rears much. I would run the beadlocks because it allows you to run lower air pressures and keeps the tire on the bead.

You COULD run the big fronts, but i wouldnt because it will raise the stance a lot if you keep the 18 inch rears. If you have 20 inch rears, the 22s are fine for trails but not mx.

Maxxis razrs for XC and Razr Mx for mx

gsxrkneedragger
11-07-2008, 04:20 PM
the tires i have on back are 18x11-10. they are dico fast trekkers. they used to hook up well.

john451, are you saying that i should flip both the fronts and backs? does flipping the rears give it a wider stance also?

BlaineKaiser450, why wouldn't you flip your rims?

real dumb question, but what is the difference between xc and mx?

since i ride a lot of trails should i stay away from the 2 ply tires?

keep the help coming. i appreciate it

k4f5x0r
11-07-2008, 05:04 PM
flipping rims making the handling really terrible and is a risk to bending the rim and having the rotor bent.

as for you riding trails. your gunna wanna get 21 or 22 inch front tires. as in 21-7-10 or 22-7-10. and for rear tires your gunna wanna get 20-11-9 or 20-10-9. you gain ground clearance this way but it wont be too much of a difference.

just make sure your front rim is 10 inch and your rear is 9 inch. or make sure the tire size will fit on the rim by asking on here.

Gncc/XC is riding for long periods of times through rough tight muddy everything mixed together. similar riding to normal rtails but at a extreme level.

mx is layed out tracks that you hit step ups doubles triples etc. laps n the same track. this is where you want small tires and a wide stance. you can corner much faster and you will not need the extra ground clearance here.

BlaineKaiser450
11-07-2008, 07:09 PM
he pretty much summed it up :macho

gsxrkneedragger
11-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r
flipping rims making the handling really terrible and is a risk to bending the rim and having the rotor bent.

as for you riding trails. your gunna wanna get 21 or 22 inch front tires. as in 21-7-10 or 22-7-10. and for rear tires your gunna wanna get 20-11-9 or 20-10-9. you gain ground clearance this way but it wont be too much of a difference.

just make sure your front rim is 10 inch and your rear is 9 inch. or make sure the tire size will fit on the rim by asking on here.

Gncc/XC is riding for long periods of times through rough tight muddy everything mixed together. similar riding to normal rtails but at a extreme level.

mx is layed out tracks that you hit step ups doubles triples etc. laps n the same track. this is where you want small tires and a wide stance. you can corner much faster and you will not need the extra ground clearance here.

why make sure i have a 9 inch rear? shouldn't i use the 10" beadlocks?

k4f5x0r
11-08-2008, 09:37 PM
9 inch takes a bit of weight off. it also gives more sidewall and tire roll. which may not always be good but for ruts and jumping it is a good thing.

gsxrkneedragger
11-13-2008, 07:34 PM
thanks for all the help. i went today and picked up a set of 20x11-9 holeshots for 70 a piece. the raz'rs were 85, but i'm cheap so they sounded better. i have a set of raz's fronts that are 22x7-10. they're getting mounted tomorrow, hopefully if i get done with work tomorrow. there is a tire shop 10 min from me that does them for $4 a tire. i'll let you know how that set up works for me when i actually get to ride.

LTRracer4
11-13-2008, 09:08 PM
20's on back with 22's on front will be fine. you will have decent ground clearance which is necassary for what you do. Dont flip your rims, and if you do DONT space them with washers to clear your valve stems. When you flip your rims it places alot more stress on all your joints in your front end, it will wear out faster, and it doesnt handle too great. Get your self set up with those tires, and enjoy your self, if you want more width buy an axle for the rear, and eventually get some wider a-arms in the front. dont cut corners, you'll pay for it later.

gsxrkneedragger
11-14-2008, 04:49 PM
sounds good. the razor's i have for the front are one direction only. i've read on here that some people flip them around. does it make a difference? and also, to better improve handling, would it be better to get a longer axle first, and then the a-arms, or vice versa. thanks.

LTRracer4
11-16-2008, 07:28 PM
flippin the tires is something you will just have to try to see what works best for you. and go axle first because its cheaper, it will handle pretty well, but once you can get some suspension in the front you wont believe the improvment.

BlaineKaiser450
11-16-2008, 08:22 PM
i wouldnt go axle first because you will hit a ton of things with the rear end. People tent to watch where the front is and then clip stuff with the rear if they dont have a front end to go with the axle

LTRracer4
11-17-2008, 08:50 PM
if your back end is skinnier then your front it tends to feel loose, and it slides too easy in corners...