PDA

View Full Version : crf tranny pissing me off

pro-rider46
11-04-2008, 03:56 PM
my crf just got finished being rebuilt, but when i go to start it, i cant find neutral, but then i get it into neutral. after a while i give up and start to put it back into the garage, and when i lean it the one direction it pops into gear. so when its tipped to the left its fine, and when i tip it to the right it pops into gear. when i had my cases split, my brother had been cleaning the garage, and he put it into a shelf upright, and some of the tranny fell out. so i have the gears in the right places, but the service manual isnt to desriptive about washers or spacers. also, my kickstart will turn the motor over perfectly, but when i release it, it doesnt come up the whole way and makes a racheting noise, even if i put it in its correct position. bike runs, but i dont ride it because of the problems...

any input is appreciated.
-steve

KEVIN132
11-04-2008, 05:33 PM
well it might just be your shift drum. also if you slit cases and dont atleast replace the forks your nuts there cheap and so is the drum. the gears get expensive.

i will tell you mine shifts so mint know and shifts into neutral awesome now!!

rideracelivemx7
11-05-2008, 11:24 PM
oh do share what this mod is, im splitting my case soon enough on my crf.

pro-rider46
11-06-2008, 03:15 PM
do you really think that the tranny mod is neccesary being i only have 1 wheel drive and the weight of a bike.

pro-rider46
11-06-2008, 03:37 PM
yeah, i thought a few people thought that i was talking about a hybrid, sorry i didnt clarify.

i didnt have any problems with it popping out of gear, and i didnt touch the shift forks or drum. just the gears on the sprocket shaft and the gears on the shaft beside popped off, the two gears from each shaft... and my kicker is keeps racheting non stop.

IMSROLL450R
11-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Sounds just like you left out a washer or spacer when you mention leaning the bike. I'd get a blow up schematic from honda parts direct or somewhere and look at every gear and spacer and make sure they are there. The manuals arent too descriptive on every piece during assembly I agree. Also the tranny mod from Toby has nothing to do with the problem you are dealing with. Looks like another tear down is in order for sure man. I don't think the CRF tranny is the same as the TRX either because the motor is definitely narrower.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

KEVIN132
11-06-2008, 06:37 PM
in the honda book it actually even shows how the washers should go:D

pro-rider46
11-06-2008, 06:45 PM
i went through my manual again, and i must have skipped over the page with the washers.

kevin132, thanks for reminding me to go back through my manual. but you dont have to be a smartass.

i will keep you all updated.

KEVIN132
11-06-2008, 07:21 PM
im no smartass just trying to help. :( :ermm: