PDA

View Full Version : 2005 TRX250ex won't engage into gear

Mark Grant
11-04-2008, 08:36 AM
This 2005 TRX250ex is really clean and has low hours on it. When it's in neutral the green light is on. When you lift the gear shifter up the light goes out, saying that it's in gear. Same with the reverse light. Shift into reverse, the light goes on but the quad doesn't move. The problem is the bike goes nowhere, still in neutral for some reason. Has anybody else had the same issue? Is it a matter of figuring out how to adjust the automatic clutch? I do not have a manual and would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance for the help!

bigconig
11-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Lift the lever up- 1-5 are all up from neutral

Mark Grant
11-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks buddy, but that's what I'm doing. I edited my post to say that now. Any other ideas out there???

bigconig
11-05-2008, 08:17 PM
I figured as much, but you never know, sometime the simplest answer is over looked. Seems it's more technical than I can help with. Hopefully someone else jumps in (although it's been pretty slow around here lately)

Mark Grant
11-06-2008, 08:29 AM
I got referred here off Thumper Talk. I'm stoked to find out about it, hopefully somebody can help.

massivemassey
11-06-2008, 08:47 AM
i know sometimes you have to rock it some to get it to fully engage? have you tried that?

Mark Grant
11-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Yes, I have tried all of the obvious things. I think the clutch might need to be adjusted. Has anyone ever done that?

dirtdawg
11-06-2008, 12:47 PM
definitely sounds like it. there is a locknut and adjuster on the front end of the engine. undo the locknut and there is a flathead screw. twist it either way until you find your setting. i have a manual that shows all this. i'll take some pics and post it. there is also a troubleshooting section that lists common problems. i'll put some pics up within about 15 minutes. i have an 02 model, but it should be the same w/ engine stuff.

dirtdawg
11-06-2008, 01:04 PM
does it rev like it is neutral all the time? maybe someone screwed w/ the inside components b4 you got it. try adjusting it w/ the screw and see if it works. if not, you are gonna have to take it apart. what i said before about the pics, you don't really need them. it is very striaght-forward.so, pretty much it won't disengage if it is always in neutral. could be improper oil, a faulty lifter mechanism, or warped plates. that's what the manual says. most likely, your clutch is done. i can help you out w/ tearing into it if you have to. try adjusting and let me know.

mikeE36
03-10-2009, 04:51 AM
I had the same problem. My quad sat for over a year and it wouldn't get into neutral. I just pushed it up and down my drive way and kept trying to shift and i guess something freed up and it worked. Good Luck