PDA

View Full Version : Some advice needed... 440? or not?

sandSStorm
11-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Hey guys.

I just got back into riding and bought me another 400 EX from a friend of mine that had to leave for the military.. Great Quad.
I sold mine about 4yrs ago and got bit by the bug again so I bought this one.

Anyhow to make things short. I own an automotive repair shop and I do all my QUAD mods in my spare time. I know this quad has a 420 piston in it. Just right before going out last weekend I had my hired hand do an oil change and he decided to clean the K&N filter while he was at it. My helper has very good knowledge about auto mechanics but seems to have the worse luck when doing things. He always either forgets a bolt or the part that he installed does not work and has to be returned to the store , get a new one and re install it. He often has bolts that strip or just break. No matter what it is bad luck follows him and I dont know how. Hes been my friend for over 15 yrs so I know the guy well..
Well when he was done I told myself... "I better double check his work" but I desided not to... I told myself that I have to trust him to do a good job..

F ing WRONG!!!

Three hours into riding in the dunes my quad just quit and would not start. It cranked fine but sounded like it was starving for Fuel. After checking spark and making sure the tank had fuel I was baffled... My quad has never had trouble starting. Never... I take very good care of it.. Im the kind of guy that just likes to ride. I dont waste my time racing people, Im more of a trail rider. Anyhow... After trying for a few minutes to start the quad it came to me..... I just had my friend change the oil and clean the air filter... SO I removed the seat and there I saw what seemed to have stopped my heart for a few secconds.... The air filter was not on... It was just laying there.. I immediatly knew what was wrong... I I removed the hose going to the carb and it was PACKED with sand... and I dont mean this miniscule sand... Its almost like pop-rocks.. Very coarse sand..

I loaded my quad and headed home.... sad... but angry..

I have to remove the top end and see the extent of the damage to my cylinder. I know I have to clean the hell out of the carb but Im more worried about the cylinder, piston and valves.

Now my question to you is? If I have to rebuild the head, Should I go ahead and go fullbore and do the 440 kit? Or should I just go one step up on the sleve?

Im keeping this machine, It has been great untill now...

If I go 440, what all will I need? I dont want a race machine, just a dependable midrange power. Any info you may have please share it w me.

Thank you for your time....

Oh and BTW... I fired my hired hand.... My reasoning was. What if that would have been a customers vehicle? I was willing to take my time and teach him how to be a good mechanic, but its more like BAD LUCK with him or carelessness... IDK

If you want things done right, you DEFINETLY have to do them yourself...

Im the only mechanic at my shop again and Im overwhelmed, but you know what? Im glad things are getting done right every time....

sandSStorm

drew416ex
11-04-2008, 02:57 PM
That sucks. I dont even like anyone to check my tire pressure just so I know it was done right. I would say just go up one more bore since you can. Then your next rebuild you can go 440 or even back to stock bore since you have to resleeve anyways. Ive never done a 426 though so im not sure what kind of heat they build wtih the sleeve beeing that thin. I would replace all the valves and guides. Im sure they are very worn.

Kevslatvin
11-04-2008, 05:03 PM
I had something similar but without bad results (so far) happen to me. When I bought my 400 I got to try before you buy so to speak and rode it all day at the track. When I got it home and went to do maintenece (change oil,etc) and took the airbox lid off the filter was just rolling around in there. Luckily it was in early March so it wasn't really dusty, but who knows how long it had been that way. So far so good it still runs good with no problems. Mine supposed to be a 440 and Ilike it pretty well so I'd probably go with the 440.

AZ440ex
11-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Just my thoughts!

Since you have the shop and do the work yourself, get HD head studs, CFR timing chain(since your already in there), stage two cam, 440 11:1 compression, mild port job, Check/replace the valves(they are probably hurt pretty bad after sucking in sand)

It should run for a long time and have good power with reliability.

sandSStorm
11-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Well.. I took the top end apart today and I found no damage whatsoever on the sleve, piston or valves... IM SO Happy NANCY is doing great....
I even took the piston and head over to a friend of mine that owns a machine shop and gave me two thumbs UP! he said there is nothing to be worried about... The only problem was that the sand wedged itself into a piston ring and it was stuck.. While trying to release it it snapped ....
I have ordered new rings, new gaskets and even a new timing chain guide that was showing some wear...
It should be back together by this following weekend....

Thank you all for reading my post.. and I appreciate your replies....

I did consider boring it over but WHY!? it works well as it is and its been a great machine... I do have the money to invest in it but I rather keep it stock since there was no damage done...

Thanks FRIENDS!!!

sandSStorm

hoogiesngrinder
11-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Glad to hear its OK. I'm new here to the forums but not new to 2 or 4 strokes.

440 have a tendency to rev slower, CRF timing chains are a good choice. I'd do a light spring hone on the cylinder before the rebuild myself, maybe a leak down test on the head make sure the valves don't leak. If they do a bit I do a quick valve lap to make sure they seal up nice.

hypersnyper6947
11-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by AZ440ex
Just my thoughts!

Since you have the shop and do the work yourself, get HD head studs, CFR timing chain(since your already in there), stage two cam, 440 11:1 compression, mild port job, Check/replace the valves(they are probably hurt pretty bad after sucking in sand)

It should run for a long time and have good power with reliability.

I agree with him.

I also have a 440 cylinder whit HD studs in it and a stage 2 cam for sale