PDA

View Full Version : Blaster only goes backwards?

Patwelds
11-03-2008, 08:16 PM
So I bought a blaster, and it runs fine. There's an issue with the transmission, it has 6 speeds of reverse and can't go forward at all. It doesn't have a reverse, but all the gears go backwards...what do I need to do to make it go forward?

GPracer2500
11-04-2008, 02:26 AM
Seems like there's gotta be an ignition timing problem?

It's weird when two strokes run backwards--but it can happen. Never heard of it on a Blaster though. The few times I've heard of it happening they were odd-ball euro dirt bikes. I seem to remember ignition timing being the culprit. I suppose that makes sense. What else could get the engine to reverse direction sometime between kicking it over and when it starts running. A mistimed spark could. Then that mistimed spark might even be able to keep the engine running. Presto--it's running backwards.

deathman53
11-04-2008, 12:24 PM
that has happened with tecate 3's that the magnets on flywheel were on opposite polarity. It has someting to do the igintion timing. Some snowmobiles have their reverse operate the same, changing the timing backward.

Toadz400
11-04-2008, 06:32 PM
I'd say just practice and leave it that way!

John451
11-05-2008, 05:17 PM
HAHAAHA LMFAO thats rediculous i want that blaster... I never thought of doin that wen i had mine.. Your ignition coil moved out of the center.. Take the left side cover off (magneto) and look at the ignition.. There shouldl be a bolt in an oval hole. if you look at it there should be a circle mark somewhere on the oval the same size as the bolt thats in it except not under the bolt... You have to loosen the bolt and turn the whole ignition over til the factory circle imprint is under the bolt and tighten it up. It should run forwards after that.. But man, have your fun with that whie its runnin backwards.. That's soo bad*****

300exboy #15
11-05-2008, 06:13 PM
it mwans the piston is goign the worng way it happpend 2 my friends dirtbike 2 we rebuilt the motor the same way and it ran the rite way after that

HiperEX
11-05-2008, 06:14 PM
I had the same problem on my blaster after i rebuilt the motor teh dealer mechs were stumped, so i figured it out on my own the flywheel key was sheered off, im guessing thats whats wrong with yours

John451
11-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by HiperEX
I had the same problem on my blaster after i rebuilt the motor teh dealer mechs were stumped, so i figured it out on my own the flywheel key was sheered off, im guessing thats whats wrong with yours

Ohh right i forgot about that.. blasters are notorious for shearing wodruff pins..
I don't think a backwards piston would make it run backwards though... it would probablly make it run like crap but not backwards...

Drewltr450
11-06-2008, 03:08 PM
give me that blaster that is amazing. Can i do that with my 450? haha

John451
11-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Drewltr450
give me that blaster that is amazing. Can i do that with my 450? haha

I know right lol. But you cant do it on 4 strokes because they have valves.. On a 2 stroke you can just move the ignition coil down.

Mikeman1
11-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Worlds only Blaster with reverse! Should be worth a fortune!:)

Black R/T
11-23-2008, 03:25 PM
ok, your are going to have to do some major mods to fix this problem!!!

start by cutting the front of your bike off with a cutting torch (plasma if possible), right in front of the motor. then proceed to cut the back of the bike off. make sure not to melt your plastics though. youre going to have to learn how to shift with your right foot and use the back brakes with your left. do you have access to a welding machine? lmfao, never heard of this one, just couldnt resist.

ATPRacing36
11-30-2008, 09:05 AM
We had one in the shop that did that. Ran great ALL 6 GEARS....BACKWARDS!

The customer had taken his own engine apart and removed all the magnets from the flywheel. They are not marked. So we just put them back on and that was the result. I don't remember how Mike marked them all and tried different combinations to get it right, but It will only run with two of the combinations. One forward one backwards otherwise it won't run at all.

The easiest fix for you will be to just replace the flywheel. It will work fine and you get to keep the other one to put in occasionally for a party trick :)

John451
12-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by ATPRacing36
We had one in the shop that did that. Ran great ALL 6 GEARS....BACKWARDS!

The customer had taken his own engine apart and removed all the magnets from the flywheel. They are not marked. So we just put them back on and that was the result. I don't remember how Mike marked them all and tried different combinations to get it right, but It will only run with two of the combinations. One forward one backwards otherwise it won't run at all.

The easiest fix for you will be to just replace the flywheel. It will work fine and you get to keep the other one to put in occasionally for a party trick :)

Can you post which of the magnets to move where? I'd prefer if my blaster only went backwards to forwards

hrc200x
12-16-2008, 04:13 PM
I seen a IT 175 dirt bike get rebuilt and run backwards, there was two wires from the stator and they got plug in backwards, unplugged and swapped places and it went forward.