PDA

View Full Version : Skid Plates

Honda10
11-03-2008, 07:48 PM
What are your opinions on skid plates. Are they an essential buy? I ride in sand where there are a number of tree ruts, but nothing too bad. Just give me your overall look on skidplates. Engine and swing arm skid plates.

NacsMXer
11-03-2008, 07:56 PM
I think of them as good (not necessarily always cheap) insurance.

I run a AC chassis skid that has done me well for years now. Paid a little over $100 for it. Has saved my frame from getting all beat up. Has gotten a couple dents over time but a concrete floor and a big mallet makes it good as new again.

The best thing about skid plates is that they are a "disposable" part. It takes the beating so that other, more expensive parts don't have to take the full brunt. You won't even know it's there until it does it's intended job.

To chassis/frame skids I say, "why not?" but you may have to assess your need for a swingarm skid. They aren't the best in my case for riding MX because you can get slowed down in deep ruts so I don't run them. You may have the same issue if riding in soft sand.

11-03-2008, 08:01 PM
My PRM just looking at the wear on my swingarm especially I am glad I have it. Its chewed up and worn down some. Every now and then I heard a loud clang and its nothing because the skid is there to protect it. It keeps everything newer looking too. Great way to skim water ifyou want to its like a wave runner with them lol. Another thing MX they use the engine one because you can flatten your frame and mess it up from landing hard.

BamBam730
11-03-2008, 08:01 PM
I have a pro-armor swing arm skid plate on my 400 ex and I cant begin to tell you how many times this thing has saved my swingarm from rocks, and other debris. In my opinion its a must have for anyone riding on trails.

SPDSNYPR
11-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Honda10
What are your opinions on skid plates. Are they an essential buy? I ride in sand where there are a number of tree ruts, but nothing too bad. Just give me your overall look on skidplates. Engine and swing arm skid plates.

In the middle of trying to figure that out myself. I knocked a good sized hole in my factory plastic one in my first XC race, and I just put on a aluminum one (went kinda middle of the road - Ricochet - $110 at RMATV). I'm going to run it around a bit tomorrow to test it out. Of course and as always, it will take a bit to tell if it pays off in the long run. But looking at the condition of the bottom of my quad after just one year of moderate riding after buying it new, I'm thinking maybe a full set might be in order. I've bent a tie-rod, knocked a hole in the original skid, and damaged two wheels. I can't imagine what people who ride more seriously do to their poor quads. :eek2:

BossHogg420
11-05-2008, 01:37 PM
oh yea the first thing i did was get a swing arm skid plate! I take that back the first thing i did was bend my rear disk the first day of riding and then I bought the skid.....u def want the skid if ur riding trails! sand with roots....i'd get a skid

Honda10
11-05-2008, 01:55 PM
yea I think I am going to go with the armadillo swing arm and chassie skit plates off of rocky mountain. Thank you guys for you help.

BossHogg420
11-05-2008, 04:26 PM
make sure u get the.25 thick aluminum and not the .19......def want the thickest for the rear as for the chasis and a arms u can get the .19 for weight reasons!

Honda10
11-05-2008, 06:30 PM
yea I will make sure to do that, thank you