PDA

View Full Version : 400ex vs 450r

ridered1991
11-03-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm getting a bike for trails soon, but these aren't like extremely rugged trails. Parts are but there's plenty of room to crank it open in them about half the time. If anyone rides in SW, Pennsylvania that's where I ride.

I'm 5'9" 140lbs.

Being a skinny guy I kind of want to get the 450 just for it's lightness and extra handling. Besides who doesn't want that extra power. I'm just wondering if I'd be better off modding a 400ex for trail riding or just getting the 450r. Rebuilds are mostly what I'm worried about. The occasional valve-adjustment and oil changes aren't a problem. Are the 450's pretty reliable? I ride mine hard but take good care of it. (Keep it off the limiter and things like that. Good warm-ups.. etc. etc.)

On the 450 I will probably only pipe it and put a filter on it because I won't really get to run any more power out in the trails.

Just wondering which I should get, Any information is appreciated. I'm aware of the clutch work I'll have to do on the 450 but I'm so used to it I don't think i'll really even think about it.

BTW it would be nice to be able to smoke my buddies on their old 400s;)

I thought I'd put a better video up of what it's like. I have one a few messages down too but it's not as good

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aajy-Yp9OKM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aajy-Yp9OKM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ridered1991
11-03-2008, 07:43 PM
This is what I'm riding now. It was time for an upgrade.. eh... about 7-8 years ago haha

ss440ex
11-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Which ever one you choose, don`t forget a helmet also!

A 450r should do ya fine.

ridered1991
11-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Alright cool thanks, yeah I always wear it I was just messing around in the yard when they took that picture.

11-04-2008, 03:34 AM
even though you can open it up, how tight are the trails?

ridered1991
11-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
even though you can open it up, how tight are the trails?

They're probably 7-10 feet in most places... Some places are tight to the point where'd I'd have to slow down to a crawl but It should make it though. I've never had any trouble on our old quads. If I can't make it there's probaby a way around. They're kind of like the trails you'd see in some of the GNCC races but less technical.

I'll just put this video down here so you can see. Most of the trails are similar to stuff like this.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZSmfshsQuVA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZSmfshsQuVA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BlaineKaiser450
11-04-2008, 03:50 PM
id say a 450r would be good

11-04-2008, 04:01 PM
going by that...and even though that is just a little tiny hill climb...i would say a 450r...but i warn you that the 450r is a pain in tight trails where you cannot have it at full throttle...they are very high strung and are more work in trails that are tight, technical, and obstacle(like logs, rocky sections, etc) filled. that is why i got rid of mine, along with it being hard to start when hot(electric start).

i also feel it did not handle as well as the 400ex until i spent some $$$ on it...

i do miss the power, but not that much. i can focus more on fun and not have to think about excessive clutch work to keep the high strung machine from stalling...and being aware of how much more clutch work you will have to do is not like actually doing it...i had an idea...or so i thought...it took all of the fun out of riding for me...so did the extra maintenance...things that i normally don't mind doing and would usually do even if not necessary became tedious and annoying when they were necessary...

my feeling is that unless you are racing, a 450r is not the bike for you, a 400ex is much better...

pro-rider46
11-04-2008, 04:01 PM
i dont live to far from you, i have a 05 450r for sale, just rebuilt by cernics. im looking to get 3300 for it.

ridered1991
11-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
i dont live to far from you, i have a 05 450r for sale, just rebuilt by cernics. im looking to get 3300 for it.

I think I saw your bike on craigslist... Believe me if I had the money right now I'd be buying it haha.. I want one so bad but anyhow I'm getting my job here soon, I have like 700 bucks right now, and I'll probably get about 700 or 800 for christmas between all my relatives and my birthday so if you still have it then maybe I can buy it. I'm just asking for money so I can buy my quad haha

hondaracer_34
11-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Not trying to change your mind on the R but if your wanting a good trail bike...why not a KFX450r? I mean they have reverse...just a thought. But the R is also a good choice.

ridered1991
11-04-2008, 04:50 PM
I would get one but I heard they're sketchy because they just came out and I'm buying used.. probably around 04 or 05. I can't afford a brand new one.

hondaracer_34
11-04-2008, 04:52 PM
My honest opinion on them..they are a pretty good first year quad. i havent had problems with mine really. you can find some pretty good ones used that are for sale im assuming...but its your choice bro. Good luck.

ridered1991
11-04-2008, 04:54 PM
I'll think about it.. Maybe I'll find a good deal on one... By the way just curious. How are you liking the change from the 400ex to the 450? Lots of people recommend the 400s to me but I rode my friends before.. It just doesn't seem to do it for me.

hondaracer_34
11-04-2008, 04:57 PM
well at first i didnt think 50cc would be much of a change, but i was WAY wrong. Power on the 400ex was great but the power of the 450 is incredible. power is always there..it never runs out. im alot more confident on the 450 then i was on the 400. dont get me wrong, the 400 is a great quad, but with the new technology and products coming out...the 450s are the way to go, especially the kawi bc of the fuel injection, reverse, aluminum frame, and more. how does it not do it for you?

ridered1991
11-04-2008, 05:03 PM
No I meant the power on the 400ex doesn't do it. The power on the 450 is simply amazing. They're miles ahead of a 400 in terms of power. The 400 is a great quad I just think I want the extra power.

hondaracer_34
11-04-2008, 05:09 PM
got ya bro. good luck with your pick. if you have anymore ?'s just PM me .

Gray33
11-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Get a yfz 450 ha.

400ex or a 450 eh

If i were you i would get a 450 because alot more power will make up for not having reverse. I ride alot of trails and i dig my yfz 450. I would suggest getting a skid plate tho.

Another postive thing is if you ever decide to take it up to breezewood (a well known track in ur state) you will be able to race better.

YFZ 450!

sickyellow400ex
11-04-2008, 08:22 PM
i just bought a brand new 08 450r this past weekend, i was riding a 400ex before. i hate to say it but ive only rode it once since saturday.

i ride mostly trails, pretty much what you are riding and we have a somewhat mx track at a friends house, also ride some sand pits. ive noticed the 450 dosnt have as good of a turning radius as the 400. the power increase is amazing. the suspension is alot stiffer, now i dont know if thats because its new and not broken in yet, but i like the feel. there is alot of clutch work. im sure you could gear it down some and it would help.

i would say if you ride just trails that you cant really open it up on go with the 400.

but the best thing you could do is try and get some seat time on both and see what you like

pro-rider46
11-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by ridered1991
I think I saw your bike on craigslist... Believe me if I had the money right now I'd be buying it haha.. I want one so bad but anyhow I'm getting my job here soon, I have like 700 bucks right now, and I'll probably get about 700 or 800 for christmas between all my relatives and my birthday so if you still have it then maybe I can buy it. I'm just asking for money so I can buy my quad haha

haha, yep, i had it on craigslist, but not much luck. right now quads arent selling for squat, so i will probably still have it for a while. Keep in touch if you want to buy it eventually.

steve

atvnut22
11-05-2008, 07:42 PM
i went from a 300 to the 450 and love it. once you get used to the bike, you'll hardly notice the clutching,cause i ride with 400s and they have a hard time keeping up with me and i got a extended axle