PDA

View Full Version : So far this sucks...Help a newbie PLEASE!

SandGeek
11-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Picked up a 400ex (440 kit) as my first venture into 4 strokes. I pulled the top end apart, had it honed, put in new rings, replaced all the gaskets and put it back together.

Now it just turns over and will not start. A small backfire out of either the pipe or the carb is the best I can get. Gets fuel, gets spark. My compression tester doesn't have an adapter as skinny as the EX plug but it ran before so I have no reason to believe I developed a compression issue by replacing the rings and head gasket.

Yes, I staggerd the ring gaps right. Yes, I timed the cam right (lined up the T and leveled the cam gear marks with the head...lobes down).

I don't know what to do here. I only have about 5 minutes of seat time so I don't even know if I like the bike or not....right now, not so much.

Any ideas??

Help!

Thanks
sg

11-03-2008, 07:41 PM
check to see that your engine moves freely. Turn it over by hand. If it binds and wont go any more then there is a problem. You could have your cam 180 out which means its the opposite way and its on the wrong stroke. Some rebuilds take a long time to start. My brothers took so long just kept pumping the gas while cranking it over and it finally started. We have used the push start method a lot too. A push start almost always starts it up

SandGeek
11-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Ya, I spun it by the stator side crank bolt (the one I used to line up the T mark) several revolutions before I put the starter to it.

I just took the cam cover back off to make sure I had the cam timed right. Looks like I do.

drew416ex
11-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Check your valve lash. Even if I just pull the valve cover off and put it back on it throws the valves out of adjustment, usually causing them not to close all the way.

hypersnyper6947
11-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
Check your valve lash. Even if I just pull the valve cover off and put it back on it throws the valves out of adjustment, usually causing them not to close all the way.

x2

When your turning over my hand can you feel the compression?

SandGeek
11-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex

You guys kick *****. I went out, popped the covers, took the tension off the valves and tightened the lock nuts. Sure enough, the ol' girl fired!

I wouldn't have guessed it...again, I am new to this cam/valve thing.

Tomorrow I will get out the feeler gauges and do it up right.

Thanks for the help!
sg