PDA

View Full Version : to shave or not to shave...that is the question!

BossHogg420
11-03-2008, 02:35 PM
ok I'm stuck on deciding if i wanna shave my fenders or not. I mainly ride xc and my concern is with debris and mud and what not, my question is really for the xc/ trail riders whom have shaved fenders, how they liked em with all the extra mud. also has anyone ever had anything fly up and hit them while running shaved fenders? I really like the look and the added benefit of being able to see where ur tires are going but I am concerned about the extra crap flying up. any input would be appreciated cause once there cut...there cut!

powermadd400ex
11-03-2008, 02:48 PM
here is how ill cut my fenders whenever i grow some balls to do it :D
id say the debris is minimal, btw this is kodymx13's quad
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn297/powermadd400ex/DCFC0029.jpg

klutch
11-03-2008, 02:50 PM
I cut mine almost all the way down... and Haven't really had a problem with more debris or anything. The mud isn't too bothersome either. I do find water annoying but the fenders didn't make much a difference anyways.

Brauap
11-03-2008, 03:19 PM
I ride hard trails and I had shaved fenders.. and I loved it! Just.. I think they look horrible on an XC quad to tell you the truth.. MX/TT/SM/FMX yes, they look bad arse.. but not on an XC.. BUT I LOVED HAVING MY SHAVED!

Brauap
11-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
here is how ill cut my fenders whenever i grow some balls to do it :D
id say the debris is minimal, btw this is kodymx13's quad
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn297/powermadd400ex/DCFC0029.jpg

SICK!!! :devil: :devil: Nice quad! Love the fenders! Just grow sum and chop! (I know its easy for me to say.. I'd be afraid too!) You did a really good job photoshopping those!

400ex07
11-03-2008, 03:24 PM
In my opinion that is the dumbest thing to do. The fenders were put there for a reason. I don't see any benefit that would make it worth it. If you have stock A arms I would say you will definitely get hit with stuff but if your A arms are wider like the one in the picture than you might be ok

11-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah you deffinately with stock a-arms get covered in junk. Every time I wash my quad dirt is caked underneath and sometime I wonder because I havent hit any mud that I know of but it always manages to fling up so the fenders do stop a lot. Some cut fenders just look terrible. I have a set of black older style 400ex plastics sitting in my garage but the fronts are cut and it looks goofy. The only benefit is being able to see your wheels and more of whats ahead and it shaves a little weight.

Brauap
11-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Psh.. guys you obviously don't have cut fenders... its not bad.. I prefer cut than full.. but full look nicer IMHO. Don't let these guys scare you, they are just a bunch of PANZEYS!! :rolleyes:

Ruby Soho
11-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Psh.. guys you obviously don't have cut fenders... its not bad.. I prefer cut than full.. but full look nicer IMHO. Don't let these guys scare you, they are just a bunch of PANZEYS!! :rolleyes:

hypocrite

SICK!!! Nice quad! Love the fenders! Just grow sum and chop! (I know its easy for me to say.. I'd be afraid too!) You did a really good job photoshopping those!

400ex07
11-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Im not trying to scare him at all, I don't really care if he does it or not, its not my quad. Its just at the end of the day I will be dry and those with race cuts will be picking mud out of there teeth. I have riden with race cut fenders before, I just thought it was stupid, and not worth the benefit of looks or the ability to see your tires. I am all about the function of things, not so much the looks.

Brauap
11-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
hypocrite

You and hornetgod always find a way to make me sound stupid.. are you telling me that you wouldn't be afraid to chop up some fenders in that design that isn't common? Try to get both sides juuuussstt right to match up? When you cut them normally you can just follow the bend in the fender.. with his plastic looking that "new" and good.. I admit I'd be afraid to chop it.. but now if you have the normal sctached/used plastic and you are afraid to chop because you don't want to get muddy.. you are a panzey!

OOhh.. I might get mud on me! I don't want to cut my fenders!

400ex07
11-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Apparently I can not give my opinion without being called a panzey by a 14 year old. lol I give up.... Its up to you what you really want, everyone is different.

Ruby Soho
11-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
You and hornetgod always find a way to make me sound stupid.. are you telling me that you wouldn't be afraid to chop up some fenders in that design that isn't common? Try to get both sides juuuussstt right to match up? When you cut them normally you can just follow the bend in the fender.. with his plastic looking that "new" and good.. I admit I'd be afraid to chop it.. but now if you have the normal sctached/used plastic and you are afraid to chop because you don't want to get muddy.. you are a panzey!

OOhh.. I might get mud on me! I don't want to cut my fenders!

did you not understand what i meant?

you called him a pansy for not cutting his fenders, but earlier you said you would be afraid to.

its only fenders, put some tape on the area where the cut is and put a rag over the existing plastic and look at it.. if you like it, **** it and try it. if your unsure than dont, its simple.

11-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by 400ex07
Apparently I can not give my opinion without being called a panzey by a 14 year old. lol I give up.... Its up to you what you really want, everyone is different.

lmfao it burns doesnt it? I'm not afraid to say I tip toe through the mud if its the only way to the other side. Once my quad gets muddy if i'm hauling *** and theres a mud piut on the other side of a hill or i'm skimming the whoops and its up ahead where i cant slow down I just plow through. Once it gets dirty all hell breaks loose lol I dont care I will fly through them all since its already dirty. I'm not a fan of cleaning mud off my quad and the clay areas wow my fenders have atleast 50lbs on them they sag to the wheels and the clay mud hurts. Once it gets on your tire it will be flinging off at high speeds nailing you for the next couple of miles. I got a couple bruises from it. Anyways cut fenders I say is more for MX. Anything else I wouldnt recomend it. I rode a quad with them before and everytime I would turn I would start getting burried in sand it went up in my helmet and all.

BossHogg420
11-03-2008, 05:30 PM
wow didnt mean to start a flaming war! ha anyways its not really the mud I'm concerned about cause no matter what even a dry dusty xc race ur still gonna get muddy as ****! that doesnt bother me its the other crap like rocks, tree branches and the more painful at 40 mph debris was what I was wondering about. yea i do have stock arms so it would be getting slung right up my arms and what not. braup why at first did u say that it looks bad on xc quads? I love the look of shaved fenders but for the type of riding I typically do I guess I'm gonna keep em stock...maybe find an old pair on ebay to try shaved out with! thanks for the input and if there's anybody else out there that races xc with race cut please give me ur opinions. thanks!

brian76708
11-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by BossHogg420
wow didnt mean to start a flaming war! ha anyways its not really the mud I'm concerned about cause no matter what even a dry dusty xc race ur still gonna get muddy as ****! that doesnt bother me its the other crap like rocks, tree branches and the more painful at 40 mph debris was what I was wondering about. yea i do have stock arms so it would be getting slung right up my arms and what not. braup why at first did u say that it looks bad on xc quads? I love the look of shaved fenders but for the type of riding I typically do I guess I'm gonna keep em stock...maybe find an old pair on ebay to try shaved out with! thanks for the input and if there's anybody else out there that races xc with race cut please give me ur opinions. thanks!

good idea IMO there just for looks so dont ruin good fenders and i dont have any problem with seeing where my wheels are with stock fenders so i dont see the need to cut them when all youll get is more $hit thrown at you.

BamBam730
11-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Instead of cutting your fenders, why not just buy race cut fenders at Rocky Mountain ATV. com
Maier Front Fender, Racing Style
Fits: 2007, HONDA, TRX 400EX
Regular: $222.64
Our price: $172.99
Not a bad price and if you dont like them, sell them and put the stock ones back on.

hypersnyper6947
11-03-2008, 08:17 PM
CUT THEM

IMO all sport quads look 10x better with cut fenders, its really nice to be able to see your front tires too. I ride trails fast and i never have a problem with the cut fenders with anything dust, debris, rocks etc... When i hop on one of my friends bikes that dont have cut fenders and i cant see the front wheels im like WOW how do you ride like this.

The fenders on my 400ex are maier race cuts so i didnt have to cut them, but i did cut my warrior fenders when i had it. Its easy, just tape a line on the fenders where you think you wanna cut and use some tin snips and cut. Just remember cut less b/c you can always cut more. Then just clean up the cut line with a dremel.

Brauap
11-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
CUT THEM

IMO all sport quads look 10x better with cut fenders, its really nice to be able to see your front tires too. I ride trails fast and i never have a problem with the cut fenders with anything dust, debris, rocks etc... When i hop on one of my friends bikes that dont have cut fenders and i cant see the front wheels im like WOW how do you ride like this.

The fenders on my 400ex are maier race cuts so i didnt have to cut them, but i did cut my warrior fenders when i had it. Its easy, just tape a line on the fenders where you think you wanna cut and use some tin snips and cut. Just remember cut less b/c you can always cut more. Then just clean up the cut line with a dremel.

+1 :p

Or.. you can use a razor blade (that works nicely, just take your time!!!) or a handheld grinder (What I used--FAST!) What I did was tape off the areas I wanted to cut off, used a sharpy and marked it, followed the lines with the grinder, and used some sandpaper and I had gotten a ton of complements on how clean they looked and people where surprised that I did them. Real easy!

(If you use the razor, you may want to heat the plastic a little with a propane, mapp gas, ect. tortch or something.. it will make it even easier!)

DuwBra
11-03-2008, 11:17 PM
here's mine, all i ride is trails and around buddies farms. No problems for debri as most of it comes from the back tires. Water does hit you for a few seconds after going through it though. It makes your quad less bulky and you feel as if your riding something much lighter and you feel like you have more control. which is a plus.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u227/Duwayne_2007/DSC00505.jpg

400ex28
11-04-2008, 10:11 AM
i would keep them if you ride trails all the time and if your quad is stock.

Pipeless416
11-04-2008, 10:28 AM
or you could buy my very slightly used maier race cuts! :D

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=367274/

RATPACK Z400
11-05-2008, 08:48 PM
My friend got new fronts cause he wrecked his 400ex I cut the left front fender off but could be right and used it as battery cover it had hinge on one side and latched on other. looked factory all other 400ex owners that saw it wanted the same after seeing it wish I had pics just try as cover wont be disappointed with the looks .covers battery perfect! oh and its the front of the front fender you use, youll see what I mean.and show pics of results to us .