PDA

View Full Version : Turf Tamers!

08-01-2001, 09:55 PM
For all you turf tamer riders out there how is the wear on these tires? I ride hard pack dirt and i thought some input would be helpful in choosing a tire. :confused:

400exRacerX
08-01-2001, 09:59 PM
they wear fast, really fast. You'll go through a pair every 7-10 races, depending on how u ride it could be 5 races or less.

08-01-2001, 10:03 PM
How about the Holeshot XCR anyone have any say for the wear?

08-02-2001, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by 400exRacerX
they wear fast, really fast. You'll go through a pair every 7-10 races, depending on how u ride it could be 5 races or less.

Man what are you racin on pavement.....I've got a buddy that uses turfs on his 416 and races all the time and he's still winning with no problem and the tires look fine,,He'll probably use them next season...I run holeshot MX tires and I've raced numerous races this year plus practice on hard packed dirt tracks and yes I see wear but replacing them:confused: If ya got the money to do it more par to ya but I find not being able to finish a race season on the same tires a little ridiculous,,,but then again I don't know the terrain your racing on....also if I was running a pro class maybe change them out but just an average joe racer,,negative..

08-02-2001, 10:58 AM
i ride mostly on hard pack or on trails and mine are still fine after almost two months. and on weekends i ride to a friends house that is almost 5 miles on paved road and you can still see the indents on the knobbs. just my input
joe

400exRacerX
08-02-2001, 10:03 PM
rico, yes i do replace them that often, they arent as expensive as the holeshots too. i groove my tamers and when you groove them they wear down a hell of alot faster. dont understand why your so suprised on how often i switch tires? my racer buddy bob miller changes his as often as me or quicker. i race class a open 4 stroke amatuer and he races class b expert 250cc 2 stroke.

coryatver
08-02-2001, 10:28 PM
What size do you get? I saw that they have two 18 in. tires. How do they affect your handling? I don't race but i ride at a track sometimes. I have 20 in. Razrs and someone told me if you ride at a track 18 in. tires will help you out a lot. Do you have to change your gearing? Thanks.

Ryan300ex
08-06-2001, 06:21 PM
Mine havent wore hardly any. I do trail ridin and they r great!!

4punksdad
08-06-2001, 07:42 PM
I had a set of 20" tamers and they held up fine............no plugs, no sidewall cuts no fast tire wear..........and I rode on tham at blackwater more than once :)

when my stock tires wear out I will be replacing them with turf tamers.

400exracerx..........if you cut a portion of your tread off the tire........of course they will wear faster. By "grooving" them I assume you are removing a few knobs per row? I thought that strategy was to help them self clean in muddy conditions..........not to be used on hard pack?
Tamers do have a tendency to clog up in thick clay, but most tires do.

08-07-2001, 12:46 PM
i have 18-11-10 holeshot mx tires and they are great on muddy clay tracks as well as hard pack. They got so much traction when i first got them it was hard to do donuts. now that there about half worn there the best. i can side around corners and still have good traction but they are a little more expensive. They also clear well in muddy clay.

Yee-Haw_400EX
06-30-2006, 01:53 PM
My friend had a set of 25x12x9 on his 80's Suzuki LT230 Quadrunner and they lasted for about 4 years with hardly any wear.

250xridamatt
07-01-2006, 06:50 PM
This thread is from 2001...