PDA

View Full Version : 416 rebuild questions

curlyatju
11-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Im putting my 400 back together and have a few questions, the base gasket i got seems like a very thin metal, ive never seen this for a base gasket i thought they were usually paper gaskets. should i apply some yamabond to this gasket or just try the silicone gasket maker without any gasket. for the head gasket its the cometic 3 layer. should i try to disassemble it and put just one layer on there. Thanks.

drew416ex
11-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Leave the head gasket how it is. If you mess with it it could cause a blow out later on. As far as the base gasket, what piston are you running. I ran just silicon in my 11:1 416 from day one and never had a problem.

curlyatju
11-03-2008, 07:22 PM
i got a wiseco 11:1. i guess ill try just with the silicone. Anyone got any tricks for getting the locknut off of the clutch basket. Im trying to get the new timing chain on and im having trouble getting the nut off. its the one that has a side pressed down on it to lock it in. I cant get anything underneath there to pry it up. Any info helps. thanks

drew416ex
11-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Most users on here just use an impact. I use a dremel to grind that little flap off then take it off with a wrench and just buy a new nut.

dariusld
11-04-2008, 06:18 PM
I always wondered how they apply the silicone so that it wouldn't block the oil passage or get in the threads?

drew416ex
11-04-2008, 07:57 PM
You just spread it really thin. I put it so thin you can see through it, but its still enough that it still comes out the sides when you tighten everything down.