PDA

View Full Version : looky what i got(Rear elka rebuild)

user101
12-12-2002, 05:55 PM

Live2Ride300
12-12-2002, 06:07 PM
Nice, have you tried it out yet?

Dave400ex
12-12-2002, 06:16 PM
You got a Yellow bottom spring? :eek: I got black for both springs.

user101
12-12-2002, 07:57 PM
haha i thought the yellow spring was kinda funny. it might also have somthing to do w/ the wat i got it valved. i only weigh 130 w/ gear on. oh well it will be covered up by some Big Cohoona shock covers.

live2ride i have not had a chance to r yit out yet but i might get to this weekend.

crazy canadian
12-12-2002, 08:39 PM
you're gonna love that rebuild!! some of the best money i've spent. (other than the fronts!!)

400exRacerX
12-12-2002, 08:41 PM
Did you get that from JHalletex?

wheeltrax
12-12-2002, 08:55 PM
how much did it cost ya?

crazy canadian
12-12-2002, 09:09 PM
my rebuild cost $300 from the quad shop.

user101
12-12-2002, 09:10 PM
Norm, i got it from the quadshop.
Wheeltrax it cost 325 dollars.

Slick
12-13-2002, 08:57 AM
how much would it be to just buy springs to put in my stock shocks?

user101
12-13-2002, 11:03 AM
no u cant do that. it think it mor complicated than that.

Dave400ex
12-13-2002, 06:58 PM
Weight may be it because I weigh 195.
Call the Quadshop and ask about it, but I would have a full Rebuild done if I was you.

d-14 rider 27
12-17-2002, 09:50 PM
makes me wonder a little bit about either elka, or the quadshop. that rear shock didnt get hard-anodized like pep does, and like the local suspension guy did with mine. he showed me a stocker that got wore pretty bad inside.........i think im gonna stick with PEP. if you dont know what im talkin about check out www.baldwinmotorsports.com and look at the pep shocks and youll see the 400ex shock is weird colored from the hard-anodizing

Dave400ex
12-18-2002, 02:51 PM
Yeah the PEP is hard anodized and also $125 more then the Elka. For the $425 of the PEP, I would just buy a whole new rear Elka and have a better Shock for a little more.

QuadTrix6
12-18-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
I would just buy a whole new rear Elka and have a better Shock for a little more.

who says its better ? :eek: :huh

Dave400ex
12-18-2002, 02:59 PM
Your comparing a Stock Rebuilt shock vs. a New Elka shock? How wouldn't the Elka be better?

Paul400ex2002
12-18-2002, 05:08 PM
bump

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-18-2002, 05:38 PM
Your comparing a Stock Rebuilt shock vs. a New Elka shock? How wouldn't the Elka be better?

Because the rebuilt one is done by PEP :p

Dave400ex
12-18-2002, 06:17 PM
LMAO. Well you never know. The Elka better be better. I'm sure it would be.

d-14 rider 27
12-18-2002, 08:41 PM
what has you guys sold on elka? from what ive seen at the tracks where i race i dont think im ever gonna run them til i see a pro make it a season on them i personally think their junk. you pay out the arse for the billit aluminum bodies and everything. i think im gonna stick with the brand that i trust PEP ohlins and axis

Nausty
12-18-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix66

who says its better ? :eek: :huh

lol I had my stock rear shock rebuilt and I was really disappointed with the performance and the reliability. The stock shock just can't take much abuse imo. I have a new rear shock now and it is 10x times better. The stock rear shock when rebuilt was to stiff on the light stuff and to soft on the big stuff and it seemed like the rear end was always bouncing all over the place. Not only that but I went through 2 seals because of a bent shaft from jumping it to hard.

12-19-2002, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Nausty

lol I had my stock rear shock rebuilt and I was really disappointed with the performance and the reliability. The stock shock just can't take much abuse imo. I have a new rear shock now and it is 10x times better. The stock rear shock when rebuilt was to stiff on the light stuff and to soft on the big stuff and it seemed like the rear end was always bouncing all over the place. Not only that but I went through 2 seals because of a bent shaft from jumping it to hard.

I think how good a shock is has to do with whose building it not so much what its made of. I think a rear PEP rebuild would be up to a full elka rear. I have never rode elkas but im just saying all peps experience does play a part in how good there shocks are. Anyway in the rebuild they revalve it and change all the springs too

400grl
12-19-2002, 08:07 AM
I have an Elka rebuild rear, too - I have to say I love it - it's SO MUCH better than stock - I think alot has to do with the proper set-up for your weight, too - I wasn't going to do it but I got it for $250 and couldn't say no........so far my Elka's are great......I'm only 130 lbs so maybe I just don't stress them much!:D

Dave400ex
12-19-2002, 02:57 PM
Now come on Elka's are not junk. They are like the same as Axis, but different people set them up. Everybody who doesn't have Elka's or doesn't like them needs to think about what they are saying. Elka has been around for what maybe 2 years at the most? How long has PEP and Axis been around? How many Pro's run their Shocks? Well hmm I bet they are both getting a lot of feedback. They had problems when they were new, at least Elka will fix their's. Elka will catch Axis and PEP, just give them some time to get a few Pro's using their shocks, and they will be much better. And as far as price goes, they are cheaper then Axis and Ohlins for sure. PEP is about the same. Also it's not that the PEP or Axis shock is built better, it's that Mark Baldwin and Wayne, plus the guys at Axis know what they are doing because they have been doing it for YEARS. If Mark set up a set of Elka's, I bet you would be thinking different about buying Axis over Elka. I am thinking about calling Baldwin or Derisi when I go to have mine rebuilt, and ask if they can set them up for me. Mine are really good now, but I bet Derisi would make them better since I will be racing XC.
I also think that Elka is more into GNCC then GNC and more riders have Elka's in the GNCC's. I think that's why most XC racers love their Elka's. Next year more GNCC Pro's will be running Elka's too so they will just get better. I love mine and so do most other's.

Nausty
12-19-2002, 06:35 PM
what does pep do other than elka? Seems to me they just revalve it and put in differant springs for your weight. I know my rebuilt rear shock doesn't compare to my new aftermarket one. lol, I just hope you guys are happy with yours.

trx400ex
12-19-2002, 06:57 PM
Im sure a PEP rebuilt would be a little better than the Elka since they are working with the same material and PEP has more experience. Probably not enough to lose a race over....Also i agree that Elka seems to get into XC more than MX. I think XC racers make up more of thier $ than MX because there is so many of them.

d-14 rider 27
12-19-2002, 07:27 PM
elka is not the same as axis with different ppl building them. your judging that by what the top of the body LOOKS like from what i see around my local tracks elkas have been nothin but headaches. one guy bought a set of long travels and every time he landed, didnt matter how smooth the landing was he was always plowing, even thru braking bumps i think my works worked better than those. another guy snapped his rear shock in half and he dont ride all that hard. another guy the hoses goin to the cans leaked, another guy the springs settled on his fronts (didnt come all the way back up) about a half inch between the collar and the spring when we lifted it off the ground. i'll never buy or have anything rebuilt by anyone but PEP, axis, or ohlins plus elkas are over priced. i understand they are a new company, but come on, how long does it take to get everything figured out? sure axis and ohlins are expensive too, but they know what their doing

Dave400ex
12-19-2002, 07:31 PM
It's not what PEP does, it's that Mark Baldwin is setting them up. They know how to set Shocks up better, because they have years of experience that Elka does not yet have. Baldwin could make any Elka just as good as a PEP. Once Elka gets their setups down, I think they will be just as good as the others. I think it takes more time for them to get the setups down then most people realize. I like all the Shocks, but haven't had a thing wrong with my Elka's. Heck just buy what you like and have the money for. They are all about the same, and all expensive.

Nausty, Which shock did you get?

Yeah it seems that every GNCC keeps getting more Racers all the time.

Nausty
12-19-2002, 09:34 PM

Nausty, Which shock did you get?

I just got the elka rear shock with ssd and remote rezzie. I can't say enough good things about my shock set up now. I feel like it can track so much better through the rough stuff and soak up the big hits with ease and it rides so nice, sits low. I love it. Not to mention the range of adjustability, I can make the shocks super soft for xc or stiffer for mx.

Nausty
12-19-2002, 09:36 PM
pic of the fronts

user101
12-19-2002, 11:01 PM
i dont care what ya say. i race XC and im on a budget. sure, i would rather have some peps or axis but for the price ELKA is the way to go. I have to say that the Quadshop did an Excellent job at setting up my shocks. Ive done a little jumpin on my new shocks and i have to say i absolutely love them. My rear seems a buttload of betterness:p I dont really jump alot mainly h/s and the occasionaly mx track. I have had not one prob w/ my Elkas and prolly wont ever.

heres a pic of the biggest jump ive hit on my new shocks. i flatlanded it once and it felt like i was landing from about 2 feet in the air on stock shocks

12-20-2002, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by user101
i dont care what ya say. i race XC and im on a budget. sure, i would rather have some peps or axis but for the price ELKA is the way to go.

How much are elkas running now? They were $740 then they got a $40 increase which put them at $780. Then I think Jeff@Quadshop said they raised them again another $85. If this is right that would make them abt $865. PEP are only $895. Im not sure abt the elka price but thats what i believe they are and if so they are abt the same price as pep

Dave400ex
12-20-2002, 02:19 PM
I don't think they raised the price over $100. That would be a little much. Heck I don't care I'm sponsored by Elka so I will still get a good deal on the Shocks no matter what.
Nausty is that Comp. and Rebound adjustable? I thought about getting one of those. I will have to wait and see how it works for racing. Did you sell your stock one?

12-20-2002, 02:37 PM
blah blah blah :blah

QuadTrix6
12-20-2002, 06:20 PM
PEP all the way, i believe Creech when he says to go with PEP :D

Nausty
12-20-2002, 10:31 PM
I don't think they raised the price over $100. That would be a little much. Heck I don't care I'm sponsored by Elka so I will still get a good deal on the Shocks no matter what.
Nausty is that Comp. and Rebound adjustable? I thought about getting one of those. I will have to wait and see how it works for racing. Did you sell your stock one?

actually it doesn't have rebound adjust, just compression and preload or damping or whatever its called. I still have the stock rebuilt shock, i've been thinking about selling it but it would have to be for the right price seeing that it cost about 330 bucks to have it rebuilt.