PDA

View Full Version : fuel in ignition cover ...

JohnBeton
11-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Since I have my trx250r, it has been hard to start the bike.
Sometimes I had to kick it about 30 times to get it started.
But i ran fine once started.

Now it has been sitting in the garage for about 5 months and I rode it one time last week but i rode awfull.

So I cleaned the carburator, air filter, new sparkplug, ... But couldn't get it to start today.

I noticed some fuel on top of the ignition cover, I first thought it was a leak from my gastank or gasline, so i cleaned it and checked it, but found no leak.

Than my brother was kicking it, and when he was kicking I noticed fuel seeping out of the ignition cover :confused:

So when I got the ignition cover of, I found out that my whole ignition was full of fuel :huh .

The weird thing it was yellow fuel like the previous owner used, My fuel is always red. So the fuel must have been there for about a yeas :eek: ...

I put it back in the garage to dry, but probably the crankseal is bad, don't you guys think ??

GPracer2500
11-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Yep.

dunatic
11-02-2008, 12:21 PM
floats too high or needle/seat stuck causing the carb to fill the crank case. Crank case seals are worn causing the ignition area to fill with fuel....only way it's gonna get in there. turn your fuel off when not in use.

k265r
11-02-2008, 01:21 PM
if your crank seals are bad it will cause a lean running condition be careful dont burn up your motor

C-LEIGH RACING
11-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Already been said the crank seal could be bad & maybe by some fluke of luck, the cover gasket & ignition wire rubber boot is sealing real good only reason you havn't lock the engine up yet.
See if you can get it started with the ignition cover taken off.
Neil

JohnBeton
11-02-2008, 03:32 PM
I also think I got lucky, probably it couldn't suck are through the crankseal because the ignition was filled with the fuel, so no air could pass.

I'm not going to tray and start it yet, I'm going to take of the ignition completely and replace the crankseal.

For a couple of $ for a new seal I'm not gonna risk blowing my engine ;)

dunatic
11-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by JohnBeton
I also think I got lucky, probably it couldn't suck are through the crankseal because the ignition was filled with the fuel, so no air could pass.

I'm not going to tray and start it yet, I'm going to take of the ignition completely and replace the crankseal.

For a couple of $ for a new seal I'm not gonna risk blowing my engine ;)

DING DING DING........we have a winner. Good Idea.

86 Quad R
11-03-2008, 07:42 AM
..... and while your at it you may aswell varify as to whether the float is shutting the fuel off correctly. :cool:

JohnBeton
11-03-2008, 08:31 AM
the previous owner had the engine rebuild completely, but never rode the quad due to an operation on his knee. It has been standing in his garage for months and then it must have filled the crankcase.

I checked the floats and they close now, I also cleaned the carburator completely. Wednesday I'm going to pickup the new seals, replace them and hopefully it starts in a couple of kicks :D

I hope the fuel didn't eat in the iginition

dunatic
11-03-2008, 09:49 AM
if you look at other recent 250r posts, I listed a few FREE things to do to your "R" that will ensure many years of successful riding and optimum performance.

JohnBeton
11-23-2008, 04:02 PM
the last 2 weeks I didn't have time to work on my quad, but finally I had some time to replace the crankseals, dry kick all the fuel out of the crankcase and clean the ignition.

The quad had been standing in the garage for almost a month now, it was snowing outside, but started cold with the very first kick :D

I'm very happy now :)