PDA

View Full Version : throttle cable removal

snacob14
11-02-2008, 07:15 AM
I am having trouble getting the cable out of the carb end. I have the needle and slide off, but I feel like i'm going to break something when I pull on the cable. It looks like it just has to come out of a round groove, but i want to double check before I go hulk on it.

11-02-2008, 07:24 AM
you don't need to take the needle and slide out...take the cover off of the side...it has an end on it like what was up at the throttle...

C-LEIGH RACING
11-02-2008, 07:38 AM
Wonder who this Speedyquad is ??????, Oil Citys mighty close to Hetrick country.
Neil

snacob14
11-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
you don't need to take the needle and slide out...take the cover off of the side...it has an end on it like what was up at the throttle...

I don't know what you mean by side. I have the round top screw off carb piece. When I take it out, all i have to do is move the slide into position and it comes off of the cable. Then I"m left with the round top piece connected to the cable.

C-LEIGH RACING
11-02-2008, 02:50 PM
If your trying to remove the cable from the cap, thats a stock type that comes on the 250Rs & is like one piece.
A stock replacement aftermarket cable will be made the same way.

To remover that cable from the cap, you will need to grind through the cap right where the cable goes into the cap & break the little C ring thats inside holding it in the cap.
Only thing, once you have done that, the cap has no way of holding the cable to the cap to keep the outer housing from moving around.
If your doing that so you can install a larger carb, you will also need to remove the little metal piece on the end of the cable.
You'll need to grind through that as well & be real carefull not to grind through both pieces because if you do, you will mess up the inner braided cable. Cable will be junk after that if you do.
Neil

11-03-2008, 03:40 AM
my bad...for some reason, i thought this was the 300ex section..

i am real close to hetrick's...been there on more than one occasion

snacob14
11-03-2008, 11:20 AM
I see what you mean about the one piece. I am sure it is. I jus can't figure out why I would have a cable that fits, but doesn't have that cap attached to it. It says its for a atc250r, but I think thats the same thing. I don't know. I don't want to mess it up and not be able to ride with it next week.

deathman53
11-03-2008, 02:23 PM
The atc250r had 2 different cable and carbs. 85 carb has a round slide and a cable that screws in to the cap, it works on most aftermarket carbs. The 86 is the exact same as the 86-89 trx. If you were to get a aftermarket carb and wanted to usa an oem honda cable, the 85 atc250r cable is the one to get. Trying to get a stock 86-89 cable to work in a aftermarket carb requires butchering the cable.