PDA

View Full Version : Need help/advice '05 RUBICON problem

Whiskey Tango
11-02-2008, 04:53 AM
Let me run this past the brain trust here as someone must have a suggestion to solve this problem.

I have a 2005 TRX500FGA Rubicon that I really like but am about ready to either pull my hair out or bite the bullet on a visit to the $tealership.

73 hours on the machine that is basically used for mowing, plowing snow and hunting. I change the oil more than regularly and try to take very good care of it but, of late, it's not been treating me right.

Problem(s): Very hard starting, drains a fully charged battery down to six volts (+/-) quickly. Charged battery - same problem; new battery, same problem. If and when started (usually with pull rope) it will not idle. High speed circuit(s) seem fine - runs like nobody's business at medium to WOT and has expected (or better) top end/top speed. It will not idle and, when coming off of idle to slightly higher rpm it sputters and displays symptoms of over lean condition at low throttle positions. Must use choke on low power settings. Will not start without choke - even when engine is at proper operating temperature.

Disassembled and cleaned carb completely - no improvement. REPLACED carb with Honda brand new carb - initially ran perfect then same problem all over again. Gas in tank was treated then fresh gas - same problem. Very strong compression on pull rope so figuring that too tight valves not closing is NOT the problem. No "PRIME" setting on petcock so assuming it is NOT a vacuum actuated petcock obstructing fuel flow; maybe the compression release is acting up, maybe the stars are not in alignment.

I really like this machine as it does everything I have ever asked it to do. I like Honda because of the supposed reliability and the hydrostatic drive for my applications but ever since new, this thing was very difficult when cold and not one to idle properly. When all the other guys (most with Hondas) in my deer camp were letting their machines idle and warm up while they had breakfast, I was sitting on the machine in the cold manning the friggen throttle to keep her running. I tolerated that but things have deteriorated to where it only starts with the rope and with the choke and will not idle at all - even when warm unless you enrichen with choke. Idle adjuster all the way fast - makes no difference. HELP!!!:(

mustangguy6703
11-28-2008, 11:41 AM
make sure you arent pulling in not filtered cold air from somewhere. like a tube has fallen off or something like that. almost seems like ur getting to much air.