PDA

View Full Version : Any one else have trouble starting in the cold?

BrianWrightR6
12-12-2002, 05:21 PM
I have tried to start my 400 the last 2 days and it just cranks and cranks until the battery is about gone. Does any one else have trouble with them starting when it is really cold? I have not had it started in a few weeks and it had been bellow freezing the whole time. What to do?

airheadedduner
12-12-2002, 05:28 PM
Fatten up your pilot another size. Cold air is leaning out your jetting.

scooter8
12-12-2002, 05:43 PM
Does it have a rev box in it.They don't start good when it's cold out because they need to see a higher trigger speed to spark.If it has stock rev box maybe you need to go up to a 42 to 45 pilot jet it helps alot with the cold start.I have a 42 and it's major improvment over stock

2qk4u
12-12-2002, 05:50 PM
you probably fouled the plug out. mine wouldnt start the other day and the plug was soked when i checked it. put a new one in it and it will start.

YZROOSTINYA
12-13-2002, 04:09 AM
before yo do anything, pump the carb 3-4 times

then turn it over. as soon as it fires i hold the throttle 1/8 for about 5 secs. then it idles low till it gets warm

i hadn't started it in about a 3 weeks and it was 20ish out

stumbled and stuttered but just kept pumping the throttle after it would stal out. fired up fine after a few minutes

no choke and 42 pilot

Maryland 400EX
12-13-2002, 05:04 AM
Ditto Airhead. Pilot Jet is too small.

12-13-2002, 05:04 AM
try pumping the throttle 3 times. put it on full chocke and start it with 1/8 throttle for 10 seconds then put it on half choke then hold it like a minuter untill it idles smooth and then just let it idle. this works good if u have a stcok quad

RED121572
12-13-2002, 07:44 AM
Arent the stock 400EX's a wonderful delight to start in the winter??? (Rolls eyes)

I also have a 42 pilot jet. It makes starting so much easier.

BrianWrightR6
12-14-2002, 09:32 PM
Well I finally got her started. I had a little starting fluid and took the battery off my R6 to get her cranking and she started just fine. She seemed to be running pretty good and after about 10 min she started back firing. I did not ride it just let it set and idle (also charge up my other battery) and it just was not taking gas too good. Popping and cracking, it done this once before and I figure maybe it will clear up once I get a chance to take her out and open it up? Have you all had any problems like this, keep in mind it has not been rode in well over a month and just set in a COLD garage.

optikid123
12-14-2002, 09:40 PM
its too lean, im happy ive got a heated garage

BrianWrightR6
12-14-2002, 09:48 PM
Well how did it get too lean in a month? It was running like a top in the summer and even a month ago? I did not adjust anything on it or do anything to. It just has been setting.

jb400exxx
12-14-2002, 10:02 PM
mine starts really easily! i have a 42 pilot w/o the choke. i just pump the throttle twice and hit the starter and it fires right up. i had this problem earlier on, b4 i got my pipe and rejetted and everything. it wouldn't start for a few days. then i read a service manual and it said drain the carb and replace or clean the plug, and it started up after that, but still kept having trouble. i had to drain it and clean the plug everytime i wanted to ride. but after i rejetted with my pipe and filter and choke removal it's great. i wanna see how easy it starts in the spring.

Bean
12-14-2002, 10:45 PM
its gotten very cold out now

put a 42 or 45 pilot in, DO NOT USE THE CHOKE with them pilots in there, or it will foul out instantly

TC17
12-14-2002, 10:59 PM
yep. i always have trouble starting it up in the winter. it'll start but stall. i jut play with the choke for 5 minutes and it's ready.

BrianWrightR6
12-15-2002, 12:39 AM
I have the choke removed and a 45 in it. Hmm maybe I will give it a try tomarrow and see what it wants to do.

cals400ex
12-15-2002, 01:05 AM
these bikes are tough to start in winter. pumping the gas a couple of times usually helps me. i also have a 42 pilot jet in and it did not help me out. why? i have no clue. most people say not to use the choke with this pilot but mine only starts with the choke on full. i just moved the needle clip down one to richen it up and that made more of a difference than the pilot jet did for me. this seems weird to me but if i can get it started this way i will keep doing the same thing.

fwm416ex
12-15-2002, 08:07 PM
I never have any problems starting my 416,hot,cold,wet dry its bulletproof.when its cold stab the throttle 3 or 4 times hit the start button and she fires right up every single time,when its hot its even easier just hit the start button and crack the throttle.hondas you just got to love them!!!:cool:

oynot400
12-16-2002, 12:54 PM
When I had my stock carb it would not start in the cold, even with a bigger pilot jet. If I put the triclkle charger on it and when the needle dropped below 4 amps it would fire right off. When it was over 4 amps all it would do is crank.
Since I put my FCR on, I have had zero problems. Give it a couple of pumps and it will sit there and idle. :)

300_14_racer
12-17-2002, 05:37 PM
i had the same prob. just put your gas on reserve it worked for me i think the regular line froze.

2fastandfurious
12-17-2002, 09:25 PM
i just have my borther pull me with my honda rancher. It always starts. Now i have the garage heated though and it starts first kcik. YIPPE! for heat!
-Ben

Steve-o 400EX
12-18-2002, 01:57 PM
Get a 42 pilot, pump the throttle a couple times and it should fire right up, i have to hold my throttle open like 1/8 way for like 30 seconds and then it will idle, let it sit and run for like 5 min an ur off.

400exrules
12-18-2002, 06:25 PM
would u have to change the jetting if ure quad stayed in a warm garage or should u change it for riding too an not just starting.

timewass
12-20-2002, 10:30 AM
just put your gas on reserve it worked for me i think the regular line froze.

If this is your problem, then you have one of two problems. Either you have water in your gas, which means you are also trying to combust water. lol.
Or you are not using gas that is very good quality. Gas with no additives or impurities will not freeze. Well, I shouldn't say "Won't Freeze", the freezing point of gasoline is -70F. Even at temparuters warmer than that gasoline will not gel like diesel or kerosene will. But, if the gas you are running has imputiries or other additives, it may be those additives which are freezing.