PDA

View Full Version : items to consider buying on a new atv?

rinaldi
11-01-2008, 07:22 AM
I posted a few threads on this forum and I am new to atv's. I have always had street bikes and I knew what most owners did to upgrade/change out on a new bike. Not sure on an atv? I am interested in simple bolt on's, safety items (skid plates, nerf bars) and other easy bang for the buck items. Let me know what you think is worth adding and why? Thanks.

hondaking52
11-01-2008, 08:24 AM
well i would say nerfs are well worth it, dont want ur feet fallin off, and a swingarm skidplate would also be a good idea, stock tin one's arnt tht great...theres a whole wack of stuff you could get, but its up to how much you wana drop into it...air filter might be an idea to

rinaldi
11-01-2008, 08:42 AM
What seems to be the consensus on the air filter; K&N or a Uni or what is deemed best on the Honda?

powermadd400ex
11-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by rinaldi
What seems to be the consensus on the air filter; K&N or a Uni or what is deemed best on the Honda?

well it depends on where your riding, if your riding dunes and sand the k&n will be your best bet. but if your riding in alot of mud, water, dust. then i would go with a uni. the reason i say this is k&n let too much dirt in. but in controlled conditions like the dunes k&n will be just fine. the uni foam helps it keep the dirt out.
another mod you may wanna do is an slip on exhaust, shocks, if your stockers prove to be uncomfortable, and maybe a cdi to get the little extra rev outta the engine.

hondaking52
11-01-2008, 10:03 AM
well i have a k&n and i like it, theres a diff between the K&N and uni, ones good for sandy/dusty conditions(uni i think), and the K&N is for more muddy conditions...i may have this backwards...idk..

hondaking52
11-01-2008, 10:04 AM
ya i guess i had it backwards....lol

11-01-2008, 10:24 AM
the best way to upgrade a machine is:

1: protection-for you and the atv. Helmet and goggles are absolutely necessary, followed closely by jersey, pants, and gloves. then boots and a chest protector. For the atv, a .250 thick swing are skid plate is absolutely a must, as well as a better than stock chassis skid plate. a-arms guards and shock covers are not really necessary at all.

2: comfort and controls. Make sure all of your controls are adjust to where they feel comfortable to you. if different bend bars are an improvement, then go for it. I'll put nerf bars in this category since the only thing i would get are ones with "fat pegs" the extra length, width, and kick up at the end of the peg make cornering and keeping your feet planted so much easier.

3: suspension-this could easily be number 2 instead of 3. upgrade your suspension. a better handling machine will allow you to go faster on a stock motor than a bike with an exhaust, and filter. you will be able to get the power to the ground better and hold higher speeds through turns longer if you suspension is keeping you wheels on the ground and pointed where you want. the gt thunder rear link and a rebuild of your rear shock for your size/weight/riding style is a must. after that, you will soon realize how inefficient your front shocks are so get either 450r fronts and have them re-valved or get a set of aftermarkets built for you. another thing that i would not ride without is a stabilizer. if you are just riding and not racing, then a stick style stabilizer is adequate. if you still want more, you can change a-arms, swing arms, etc., etc.

4. performance: the big 3-exhaust/filter/re-jet. so many options here so i won't go too far into detail with those. i will say that i would not recommend the dynojet jet kits or any of it's re-badged versions. go to http://www.jetsrus.com/main_page.htm and look at the faq o jets and jetting to your left. that will help you understand my point. this is the category that can cost you big too becuase you can get into so many things likes port and polish, bigger bores, cranks, pistons, cams, and the list goes on as long as the money does. if you know what i mean.

5: last is looks. once you get it to perform the way you want it...make it look like you want to...

elmer91
11-01-2008, 10:26 AM
if i was to go out and buy a new 400, here is what i would buy. Nerf bars, slip on exhaust, skid plates(swingarm and frame), and probably a front bumper.

as for an air filter, if you run in any kind of dust or mud, do not go with K&N unless you plan on doing a lot of upkeep and cleaning the filter after every ride.

11-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
well it depends on where your riding, if your riding dunes and sand the k&n will be your best bet. but if your riding in alot of mud, water, dust. then i would go with a uni. the reason i say this is k&n let too much dirt in. but in controlled conditions like the dunes k&n will be just fine. the uni foam helps it keep the dirt out.
another mod you may wanna do is an slip on exhaust, shocks, if your stockers prove to be uncomfortable, and maybe a cdi to get the little extra rev outta the engine.

K&N doesnt have to be for the dunes. I ride in about 97% sand and I use a K&N with an outerwears and conditions are always changing. There is sand, water, dust, and mud. My K&N is way better than the foam filters at blocking stuff out and actually running. foam air filters get clogged so fast you could start the day with perfect jetting and by the end you would to have had to drop a size on the main because the filter would get so restrictive. The outerwear helps a lot at keeping everything out and I dont have any problems with dirt getting through the K&N into my engine. The K&N is much easier to maintain. Most get a pipe, air filter, and jet it to start. My quad was more protection 1st. I had engine and swingarm skid plates, nerf bars, and a front bumper before I started performance mods. I just did a few basic performance mods and now i'm working on saving for suspension. After I get suspension I'll be getting new handle bars to make riding more comfotable, a steering stabilizer, and new wheels and tires to make it handle better. Then I jump into the opening the engine for a new cam and piston.

Ruby Soho
11-01-2008, 11:11 AM
i run foam filters 100% of the time

i turn out with much better results than a k&n

SPDSNYPR
11-01-2008, 12:44 PM
First things you should buy from another new guy who's only been riding for a year:

1. Helmet - self explanatory . . . . you only have one noodle and it's kind of important.

1a. Goggles - really go along with the helmet. They're cheap. Eyeballs are expensive.

2. Boots - if you don't have nerfs and your foot comers off the peg, you are going to run over your leg. Boots are the difference between think "wow, that could have hurt" and setting a broken leg.

3. Chest protector - my first injury on the second day I owned my quad was two cracked ribs. A chest protector is a must, since at some point you will hit your bars. Ribs give. Bars don't (at least when pitted against ribs). Cracked ribs=hard to do anything including breath and sleep.

4. Nerfs - great protection for legs, help with control if you have an "oh ****" and your foot comes off peg. Also keep you from running yourself over with the back wheels.

5. Swingarm Skid - if there is a rock anywhere on your trail, it will tear up the stock plastic swingarm skid. Mine was trashed after one year (plastic completely gone from right under sprocket).

6. Bars - bars that fit make riding a whole lot more fun. Being able to control where you go and not run into things always helps you stay out of the hospital.

Those are my best bets on things you should get first.

400ex28
11-01-2008, 01:40 PM
nerfs, skids, suspension

11-02-2008, 01:26 AM
Don't forget the kill switch and lanyard.