PDA

View Full Version : bad virus on computer

Kickstarts-suck
11-01-2008, 02:11 AM
Well yesterday at 4am I was getting off the computer and noticed an icon on my desktop that said Generic.dx that was new. I right clicked it and clicked properties and it said it was added at 4am (right before I got off) I keep getting a popup that says

"Your computer is infected!"

"Windows has detected spyware infection!"

"It is recomended to use special antispyware tools to pervent data loss. Windows will now download and install the most up-to-date antispyware for you. Click here to protect your computer from spyware!"

I never clicked it because It didn't look right and two words were misspelled.

I ran Spybot S&D and got nothing. Just now I got a popup from Macafee saying Trojan removed but the red X is still there and im still getting the popup.

11-01-2008, 05:33 AM
My dad got the same exact thing. It's a bunch of bullcrap.

Either...

A) A company paid people to put THAT spyware on your computer, so that the only option they have to get rid of it is click that link and pay to get that spyware program to get rid of it.

~or~

B) It really is a spyware trying to trick you into downloading ANOTHER virus.

Did you try ad-aware? avast?

11-01-2008, 07:36 AM
try these steps

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139681

Kickstarts-suck
11-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Well that virus killed my computer.

Trying to contact HP now to get a the disk to reformat.:(

<DRS>GPF
11-06-2008, 05:25 AM
HP(among others) usually section'd/partitioned off a part of the hard drive to put restore niformation.

it usually requires a combination of keyboard keys to be pressed during boot-up.

this will take th PC back to "day 1"..

personally, id look into a xp or vista basic upgrade for about $90..

youll get the basics installed and nothing more and youll be alot more pleased with the performance results.

Sjorge450R
11-06-2008, 08:19 AM
i say keep home premium if you have it. Dont down grade to basic. But, XP is always nice, then again, I only like XP Pro, all of which if you are cheap can be found in ISO format online and they most work properly and are free of spywere.

Kickstarts-suck
11-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Ive tryed the F10 at startup and it didnt work but F11 did work for something else. Like only F10 wont work on startup and its the key to restore.

:confused: