PDA

View Full Version : To 440 Stroke or To 460?

bigredisb
10-31-2008, 11:59 AM
I am getting really close to yanking the engine on my 07 and want to get some thoughts on which way to go. I am trying to decide between a 440 stoker or a 460.
I have only found kits to stroke that require a new large bore piston to make a 460.
Where are you guys getting cranks and small bore pistons to create 440 strokers?
Positives and negatives of either?

I attached a updated pic. I just got my works triple rates on last night. Getting closer to finished.

rideracelivemx7
10-31-2008, 06:11 PM
in my opinion bro. I would stroke a 440. that way it will be a 460 and stroked. a stock crank 460 custum bore will kill the connecting rod on a stocker crank. I've head rave results on aftermarket cranks. they do wonders. and expecially on a ex. it can take every bit you can give it lol. I might stroke my crf450 this winter. just a stock aftermarket crank spools up like 20% faster. that's huge. if you were to just do a stock crank 460 bore. you would have. havvvee to do a new connecting rod. and that means 70 for the kit and 50 for labor at a shop. so for another 150 you have a +4 mill stroker crank. just my input

bigredisb
10-31-2008, 07:43 PM
Maybe I have been under the wrong impression. I thought you could get a 440 two ways. Keep the stock crank and go to a 89mm bore (I think??) which gives a 440.
The second way was to keep the stock bore and use a high compression piston with a +4mm stroker crank giving a 440 stroker.

The 460 was what I thought to be a 89mm bore (I think??) with a +4mm stroker crank.

I have actually never stroked or went wild on any small engines just 383 chevrolet strokers and 377 de-strokers.

Maybe I have completly misunderstood but I though most of the 440's were done by large bore topend and nothing in the bottom end.

rideracelivemx7
10-31-2008, 07:55 PM
I don't think they sell kits to make it a 440 on stock bore. mabe a 426 kit with a big stroker kit. but you can buy a 440 kit no problem. but I was under the impression that ytou wanted to custom bore a 460 on stock crank. I don't belive they sell thoughs. its too much off the 89 bore walls. but in order to get a 460. its a 89bore(440cc) wih a 4+ mill stroker crank

cascius
11-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Powroll racing makes a kit to make a 440 stroker. It uses a shorter rod, and can be used with any size piston. It can be used to make a 416, 426, or 440. They also sell the bigger 460 kits as well. Haven't heard much on them, but figured I'd pass the info along.

yellow416ex
11-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Ive been looking in to this as a winter project myself, with powroll you can send them your stock crank and they will move the rod to make it a stroker which means you can use any piston stock or aftermarket. with kits like the HOT RODS 460 crank you have to use their piston for clearance issues which is an 89mm, or Ive heard you can have the skirt machined a little bit to clear the crank but Im not sure how much has to be taken off. Im sure theres other options but thats what Ive read so far, hope I could help a little

11-03-2008, 12:35 PM
I have actually never stroked or went wild

Couldn't help myself!!!!

bigredisb
11-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Ikilla2
Couldn't help myself!!!!

It always seems clean when I am typing it but I figured I would hear somthing when talking about strokers! Too funny.

I really appreciate the info. My goal is to go 11:1 compression either small bore stroker or go all out 460. I guess the wise thing to do is to also get head studs installed at the same time. I will have the studs and sleeve installed by somebody and I would like to install the crank myself. I have already started hinting for a FCR carb to feed the beast and need to track down a stage 3 cam.

Will a factory clutch hold or should I plan on a complete kit or maybe just springs?

Its easy to just say I want to go 460 but when you add up all the goodies that it takes to support it your wallet lights on fire!

My buddies think I am crazy. I might have 10 tanks of gas through it so far and I am really looking forward to gutting it.

Is the power difference between a 460 stroker and 440 (bore only) a HUGE difference or would I be better off going 440 bore??

The only machines I head up against are a 500 scrambler and a bone stock 450R and ride mostly tight trails so currently I can stay ahead of both but I really have a itch for more!