PDA

View Full Version : anyone quite rideing and get right back in it

TilltheEnd
10-30-2008, 10:05 PM
What stopped me were injuries... fractured my T12 3 years ago, took 6 months to recover and got right back on my 450R. raced 6 more months and seperated my shoulder. after that the shoulder kept coming out on its own from the simplest of things...getting out of bed once, raiseing my hand, opening a hood to a car, and stretching. after having my labrum reattched i said enough is enough. parted out my 450R and that was all she wrote, at least thats what i thought 3 years ago. even after i parted my 450 i kept coming back to the site, attending races to watch my buddies, and follow the stats of pros i couldnt give it up. so finally i broke down and bought an 07 yfz se a week ago. im no where near as fast or smooth as i once was but it feels so good to be able to ride again. I just want to know who else has experinced the heartache of giving up racing/rideing and get right back into it.

mittman
10-30-2008, 11:32 PM
congrats on the purchase.
my dad had a yz250 then he fell off our roof when it was raining(long story) and messed up his leg. so he sold his bike and got out of it. and about a year later he need neck surgery by this time he was really missing riding and just going out a having fun. after 2years of not really riding(well other than a honda foreman) he said h3ll with this and went out a got a 05 yfz. i hate it when winter comes and i cant just go out and ride my 400 anytime i want to. i start to really miss it the only thing that keeps me from going nuts in the winter is being able to take out our foreman but its still not the same as the ex.

Nausty
10-31-2008, 02:28 AM
i don't ride anymore... I can't help but pop in every now and then!

Between iraq, and afghanistan i've been a lil busy!

JJs450r
10-31-2008, 06:12 AM
i stop cuz i got tired of breakin stuff on the quad and havin to fork out $$$ but got right back in to it 5 or 6 months down the line.....twice

JJs450r
i stop cuz i got tired of breakin stuff on the quad and havin to fork out $$$ but got right back in to it 5 or 6 months down the line.....twice

JJs450r

Ryan
10-31-2008, 10:26 AM
Similar thing happened to me, Tilltheend.... I got hit by a car riding a quad about 3 years ago... Blew out 2 disks in my back and pinched a nerve. I ended up selling the quad. I couldn't ride much after that... Every little thing I did, I would slip my disks again, and end up on my back for a week or so.

I toke a long break, and finally decided it was time to ride again. Bought me an 08 YFZ in the early spring. Best thing I ever did.

But now im back on the couch. Toke a nasty spill in 3rd gear. Landed right on my kidney and hip, on the rocks! Should be a week or 2 before im back riding :devil: .

KXRida
10-31-2008, 11:51 AM
well I have had more than my fair share of injuries, but I took a "break" from riding. I had some intention of getting back into it, but I was more into off roading trucks at the time and sold my bike for a truck. Jeez that was about 3 years ago. Recently this May I broke 2 vertebrae and compression fractured 5 in my back. Was back riding for the July 4th race. I can't stop riding. It's more than an addiction.

toby400ex
10-31-2008, 12:25 PM
After racing for couple years I for some reason lost the urge to race, then sold the 400ex I had and bought a nice car. After 2 years of the car I realized how boring a car is. Thankfully I bought a YFZ this summer and got back into riding and racing, and thankfully I'm still good at it.

Constant repairs and expenses kinda suck, but I like that the sport is kind of unique. You don't just randomly meet people doing this same thing. Racing my quad is way more fun than the car I had, and winning a racing feels SO GOOD!:p

extremetrucker
10-31-2008, 01:48 PM
i quit about 3 years ago, to take a break, i started a new job driving truck, and i didnt want to get hurt and mess that up, i had intentions of gettin back into it the next year, but i never did, but im planning on it for the 09 season, still have my hybrid, gonna rebuild that over the winter, might even go for qotm. i have decided i need to race, its who i am.

ricksmx865
10-31-2008, 05:27 PM
I raced dirtbikes when i was little and virtually had NO support from my parents, when college started i had to sell off the bike to save some cash but always missed riding.

Last year one of my buddies from school asked me to come check out his XC race that was on sunday... the following thursday i had bought me a quad lol. All it took was the decent job i got now and seeing my buddies lining up without me.

Doober
10-31-2008, 06:26 PM
A like 2 years ago I lost all interest in racing and quads sold the quad, then turned around and spent that money on a dirtbike and quickly realized why i loved racing/riding quads. Been back in it ever since and Im not looking back.

SRH
10-31-2008, 08:23 PM
you guys blowing out and fracturing vertabre did you have any spinal cord injuries?

i just burst fractured my l1 and im regaining some but paralyzed from the waist down pretty much....im done with racing and riding....

JustRace
10-31-2008, 08:44 PM
I had sold my quad about 3 years ago, and now I just picked up a LTR450 on October 3rd and am loving it.

KXRida
11-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by SRH
you guys blowing out and fracturing vertabre did you have any spinal cord injuries?

i just burst fractured my l1 and im regaining some but paralyzed from the waist down pretty much....im done with racing and riding....

no I got lucky, no spinal cord injuries for me. The doctors did say how the breaks were progressing up my back, it could've been bad if I didn't have my leatt. It's a hit or miss thing, but I wouldn't have liked to see the outcome if I didn't have my leatt on. :eek2:

TilltheEnd
11-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by SRH

no spinal cord damage thank god. just alot of pain and 3 months in bed i was back to new...well sorta . how did you break your back?

KXRida
11-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by TilltheEnd
no spinal cord damage thank god. just alot of pain and 3 months in bed i was back to new...well sorta . how did you break your back?

3 months in bed?!?!?!?!?!? Wow I guess my recovery was pretty quick by medical terms then. I broke my back on May 29th and raced July 6th.

SRH
11-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by TilltheEnd

landed *** first in the flats from about 10 ft up going 35 mph

Hondadudeehhhh
11-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
i don't ride anymore... I can't help but pop in every now and then!

Between iraq, and afghanistan i've been a lil busy!

I haven't been on here in a while but damn it's good to see you post again. I remember when you left for camp a couple years ago. How's it been going Dustin?

I quit riding after i got my license. I sold my 400ex and dropped some money into my truck, then realized i didn't want to do that anymore. Now I'm in college and have no money but i'm getting the itch to take a loan out.

Mxjunkie
11-04-2008, 10:18 AM
I quit cause I really couldn't afford to run any of my quads anymore, still can't.. It's been forever since I've even ridden a quad... Life sucks without riding though, prob one of the biggest mistakes in life is to stop riding and racing.. the last weekend I rode I flew off a bank at about 50 and ended up 30feet into thorn bushes, next day riding with a buddy the throttle stuck 5th gear pinned in the woods and I pegged a downed tree which chucked me about 15 feet tweaking my back all out of shape, kinda put a real bad taste in my mouth about riding and I stopped after that day and haven't looked back really.. It was the first weekend back on a quad in over a year and a half.. Oh well, they look cool sitting in the trailer anyways, parents want them gone cause they take up space and are just collecting dust.. :tired: