PDA

View Full Version : just bought 06 z400, need some help???

288sunny
10-30-2008, 06:52 PM
I just bought a z400 06 model, need some help with a few things:

The oil level in the tank seems really full, not sure why, but its right near the filler neck, is this good or bad? The guy said he put 10w-40 maxxium oil in there, the oil color smells fresh but looks milky, is maxxium oil that color, kinda grayish/milky color?

Is there anything i should watch for, check, etc. etc?

kinda curious what the easiest way to change the plug, seems like you have to tear half the quad apart to change plug?

I also just ordered a yoshimura pipe, RS-3 full system, im sure that wont be hard to put on, however getting the carb off and changing jets seems like a real pain in the butt, any ideas, helpful hints? Would it be better just to take it to a dealer, and let them do that part?

what are some other ATV/z400 forum websites everyone likes?

more to follow~~~

gsxrkneedragger
10-30-2008, 07:25 PM
the oil's that color probably b/c there's water in it. i wouldn't run it until you change it. i'm not sure of all oil types but all the ones i ever used where the same color. here is a good website that tells what to do.
http://www.atvtires.com/MUD-Tech.htm

you might be able to just take the plug out using an extension on a plug socket. its a p.i.t.a. doing it that way though, or just take the gas tank off which would be a lot easier.

if you change the jets yourself, you'll have to take the tank off anyway. after the carb is off, just take off the float bowl and there are the jets. not too hard.

get a repair manual. that's the best way to go.

thats my .02 if i'm wrong on something someone correct me please.

288sunny
10-30-2008, 09:05 PM
The previous owner swore it wasnt milky and thats the color the oil was, and yes im an idiot for listening, however i know motorcycle oil is different so i wasnt sure. like i said it doesnt appear like normal car oil milky, just a grayish milky color. who knows it may be or may not be, i plan to call maxima tomorrow and ask a tech what color there oil is, maybe he could email me a picture or something to compare to. I'll be hunting someone down if it really is milky oil. Im not really sure why the oil is so full though, thats one thing Im unsure about?

RTJ
10-30-2008, 11:55 PM
let it set overnight. the oil & water will seperate. the water being on the bottom. the next morning take the drain plug out slowly and see what comes out water or the milky mixture your talking about my.02

airmobile101
10-31-2008, 07:20 AM
Why would a company make oil look milky??? They don't !!!!! Something is screwed with that bike. Neglect from the previous owner. He knew it also !!!!!!! Anyways, drain the oil and add some cheap chit for test purpose only. Your only gonna add two quarts and a few oz. Start the bike and let it run for a few minutes. Shut bike off and let it sit for another few minutes,then check the oil. The dipstick does not screw back in while checking the oil. You only insert it to where the threads of the dipstick and the dipstick housing meet. You want that oil on the cross hash marks on the stick. Does any of my babbling make any sense???
Oh, there are two drain plugs you must remove also to drain the oil if you didnt know.

Spark plug removal. I found the best way to do this is to get a 3/8 drive ratchet with a swivel head. Throw a spark plug socket with a extension(small) into the spark plug shaft. Then angle your ratchet on top of the extension and click it on. It works very well.

You can change the jets without removing the carb,but its a pain in the ***. Loosin the carb boots and tilt the carb. The worst part will be trying to get the bowl bolts off. Youll more than likely strip them. I had to use vise grips to get them off.

birdman652001
11-03-2008, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by 288sunny
I just bought a z400 06 model, need some help with a few things:

The oil level in the tank seems really full, not sure why, but its right near the filler neck, is this good or bad? The guy said he put 10w-40 maxxium oil in there, the oil color smells fresh but looks milky, is maxxium oil that color, kinda grayish/milky color?

Is there anything i should watch for, check, etc. etc?

kinda curious what the easiest way to change the plug, seems like you have to tear half the quad apart to change plug?

I also just ordered a yoshimura pipe, RS-3 full system, im sure that wont be hard to put on, however getting the carb off and changing jets seems like a real pain in the butt, any ideas, helpful hints? Would it be better just to take it to a dealer, and let them do that part?

what are some other ATV/z400 forum websites everyone likes?

more to follow~~~

FIRST THJING FIRST, change that OIL before you even touch that start button... drain BOTH oil crank and oil res out first. its 2000ML of oil so thats 2.1 quarts of oil. i usually put in 2 quarts and then let it run and then add your .1 quart to get it full.

well apparently who ever had the atv before you must of not known youre suppose to let it run for 3 mins before checking oil level. I dont know about letting it set for a few mins after shut off. Ive found accuracy with just checking it after 3 mins after cold start. Do not run it all day and then shut it off and then start it again for 3 mins.. its gotta be COLD start and let it set for 3 mins. whoever put way too much oil in it....

I have dyno jet in mine and not hard at all... just take loose the rubber housings on each side of the carbs and then twist the carb toward you but dont over do the twist... and then you should have easy access to your jets.

what airmobile101 is saying is right. Once i move to the Black Hills, Rapid City, SD, i'll have to change my jet settings so i know im gonna be doing that soon. Once you done that jet setting, its easy after that bc youve done it before.

quad97
11-05-2008, 08:17 PM
If you change the needle, watch for a very tiny o-ring under the top cap of the carb. If you have the stock spark plug socket you can just put it down in the head and then put a 17mm wrench on it to loosen the plug. Before you loosen the plug, take the spark plug cap off and blow compressed air up through the little hole in the side of the head to blow any loose debries out of the hole.