PDA

View Full Version : lightened fly wheel on a 300ex?

ZSNOW
10-30-2008, 02:01 PM
has anyone ever put a lightened fly wheel on their 300ex? i have never heard of anyone doing it, but just figured id ask...so i have that little bit of an edge next year:devil:

cmpearce
10-30-2008, 07:31 PM
i had a stock flywheel shaved for a 350x .i liked it had alot more throttle responce.look in the back of dirt wheels .that is how i found a guy to do it.

Toadz400
11-01-2008, 01:00 AM
If you're racing MX a lightened flywheel would probably do you a lot of good on a 300EX.

ZSNOW
11-01-2008, 08:25 AM
even on a long fast tracks?

Toadz400
11-02-2008, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by ZSNOW
even on a long fast tracks?

Especially on long fast tracks. You'll get your revs up much quicker and make power quicker. You would want a heavier flywheel for tight technical courses like you would encounter in XC racing.

ZSNOW
11-02-2008, 05:53 AM
ok , that means i could make my gearing A lot broader right?

John451
11-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by ZSNOW
ok , that means i could make my gearing A lot broader right?

Yeah... The only downside of having the lightened flywheel is that it's a little easier to stall it. But there are way more positive things to it. Less inertia so the revs go down quicker, faster throttle response because there's less mass to move. more torque in the mid and high range power if there wasnt that much to begin with because it takes less to spin it. With the 300 it's reallly the way to go because their flywheels are too heavy anyways.

Toadz400
11-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by John451
Yeah... The only downside of having the lightened flywheel is that it's a little easier to stall it. But there are way more positive things to it. Less inertia so the revs go down quicker, faster throttle response because there's less mass to move. more torque in the mid and high range power if there wasnt that much to begin with because it takes less to spin it. With the 300 it's reallly the way to go because their flywheels are too heavy anyways.

Exactly. It'd probably be one of the best cost effective mods for the 300EX, especially if it was paired with a different cam and exhaust.

ZSNOW
11-04-2008, 12:39 PM
does anyone specifically make a lightened fly wheel for the 300?

John451
11-04-2008, 03:38 PM
I dont think there's any specific brand that makes lightened ones.. But I have seen them around on ebay. Not recently thought. for some reason there arent any there.. Only likek weighted though.. I would problably try to do it myself if i did it. The factory drillls holes in them to ballance them but i would problably just cut like a quarter inch of the end of it or grind it down. Or try to lathe it down some. I'll keep my eye out for lightened ones. I love the llightened ones because they give it soo much of a racey feeling to it. But with the weighted ones it also does but in a different way because it gives it more bottom end? im not sure how though..

Toadz400
11-04-2008, 06:28 PM
I dont think there's any specific brand that makes lightened ones.. But I have seen them around on ebay. Not recently thought. for some reason there arent any there.. Only likek weighted though.. I would problably try to do it myself if i did it. The factory drillls holes in them to ballance them but i would problably just cut like a quarter inch of the end of it or grind it down. Or try to lathe it down some. I'll keep my eye out for lightened ones. I love the llightened ones because they give it soo much of a racey feeling to it. But with the weighted ones it also does but in a different way because it gives it more bottom end? im not sure how though..

I'm sure you'd have to send your flywheel out to get lightened if you can't find someone that sells one. I wouldn't try doing it yourself because if it's not properly balanced then you're looking at problems. The weighted ones give you more torque because there is more rotating mass to keep the inertia going at low RPM's.

John451
11-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I'm sure you'd have to send your flywheel out to get lightened if you can't find someone that sells one. I wouldn't try doing it yourself because if it's not properly balanced then you're looking at problems. The weighted ones give you more torque because there is more rotating mass to keep the inertia going at low RPM's.

Yeah, it just doesnt make all that much sense to me why that woulld give it better lowend because more work needs to be put out to get it turning where with a lightened one it's basically right there because there's less to get turning.

Toadz400
11-05-2008, 07:22 AM
Yeah, it just doesnt make all that much sense to me why that woulld give it better lowend because more work needs to be put out to get it turning where with a lightened one it's basically right there because there's less to get turning.

Check out this entire thread. A few of the longer posts sums it up quite well. http://hondaswap.com/engine-building/light-flywheel-loss-torque-9622/ (This is the best thing I could find in a quick search for heavier flywheels.)

John451
11-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Check out this entire thread. A few of the longer posts sums it up quite well. http://hondaswap.com/engine-building/light-flywheel-loss-torque-9622/ (This is the best thing I could find in a quick search for heavier flywheels.)

Oo i was just goin off the physics aspect of it lol. I gues most motors defy the laws of physics haha.

Toadz400
11-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Oo i was just goin off the physics aspect of it lol. I gues most motors defy the laws of physics haha.

They don't defy the laws of physics, you just have to look at it differently.

John451
11-07-2008, 03:16 PM
They don't defy the laws of physics, you just have to look at it differently.

Yeah i know lol i was jkin. That makes sense though.. I guess i overlooked the fact that the flywheell has many different purposes.. I always thought of it as a magneto but forgot that it wasa flywheel.. well on a dirtbike for that matter.. I knew what they are on a car for but just never applied the 2 together..

TRX-330
01-05-2009, 06:35 PM
anyone know where to get one of these for a 300? I was also reading for other quads, and i came up with someone saying that pro fab dose it for $65, anyone know their website?