PDA

View Full Version : How could my neighbor listen to my phone calls?

z400ACDC
10-30-2008, 06:38 AM
My neighbor seems to know things that I have talked about on the phone. It's not that big of deal, but it is odd. She seems to know things that I have talked about on the phone. If my daughters have been sick, she knows what the doctor said. Our homes are at least 500ft apart. Could she be useing a scanner to pick up the cordless phone or cell? I use a landline for anything I want to keep private.

quad2xtreme
10-30-2008, 06:47 AM
baby monitors can pick up on cordless phone conversations. She could also have a similar cordless phone...I just experienced this over the weekend at my mother-in-laws. It reminded me of the old party lines in small towns. When I picked up the phone to use it, the neighbor was on it already. I was thinking she should turn her base unit off when she wanted to make a LD call. :p

fasterblaster09
10-30-2008, 06:50 AM
I know we had a cordless phone a while back that I could hear certain people in my neighborhood when I was turned a certain way or in the right part of the house. Makes you wonder what other people know :eek2:

quad2xtreme
10-30-2008, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
baby monitors can pick up on cordless phone conversations. She could also have a similar cordless phone...I just experienced this over the weekend at my mother-in-laws. It reminded me of the old party lines in small towns. When I picked up the phone to use it, the neighbor was on it already. I was thinking she should turn her base unit off when she wanted to make a LD call. :p

hey wait a minute here....maybe her neighbor is already doing this to her. :D

54warrior
10-30-2008, 08:01 AM
My uncle listens to his neighbor through his scanner.

I can also remember picking up a neighbors phone call on my walkie talkie when I was about 7.

And another time, on a set of motorola walkie talkies, I picked up a phone conversation of someone I know who lives like 3 miles away.

Pappy
10-30-2008, 08:02 AM
We used to listen to all kinds of things at the firehouse, including a man cheating on his wife...lol

I would have to geuss that todays phones are way different then they used to be, but a scanner would be plausable, even over the tv.

smr
10-30-2008, 09:31 AM
If it's a cell phone then the signal should be digital (at least mine is when I'm in Bowling Green) and unless they have a very high tech scanner it shouldn't pick it up. However I have seen areas with lots of electric lines bounce signals all over the place and could be coming through a digital TV.

If it's a cordless phone the it's most likely a scanner...they are easy signals to find and it is 100% legal to listen to anything that is broadcast and that includes a cordless phone.

spanky101
10-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Thats one of those creepy deals where your sorta curious what all they know, and what they dont.

toby400ex
10-30-2008, 09:55 AM
If I were you I would start talkin mad shi7 on my neighbor over the phone. Maybe they'll stop listening.

jcv400ex
10-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Toys R us?

toys r us (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2322077)

:huh

ZSNOW
10-30-2008, 02:19 PM
ahahaha^^

scanners work good for that stuff like said above. and the more expensive scanner it is...the more calls you can pick up. lol

creepy isn't it?:ermm:

Nick110
10-30-2008, 04:23 PM
I was talking to my friend on my cell phone and he lives about 5 miles from my house and i started to hear someone talking in the background. So i was like yo stop talking for a second and I started talking to the other guy that was in the background. Turns out he was from Ohio and talking to one of his friends near his house. Kinda weird. BTW i live in NY.

hondaking52
10-30-2008, 08:50 PM
if its a cordless phone its just on the same frequancy, like my rc car's had to have diff chips in order to work separetly, ur phone probly has the same chip, or shes just nosey......lol

K-Dub
11-01-2008, 12:50 AM
I used to be a cop, and we had scanners in the car. We would drive around until we found a good conversation and stop and listen, the best was a phone sex call. We laughed our butts off. On our regular radios on certain nights we could talk to patawanimy (sp) Kansas but not to our own base just 20 miles away, so one night we was at a call and couldnt get through to our base and had the other base call our base for us on the phone. I worked in eastern Ohio.
When I was a bounty hunter we had a scanner and listened to this guy order pizza and argue with his wife about what they wanted on it. The guy was screaming and cussing her about toppings cause she kept changing what she wanted.

KXRida
11-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by 54warrior
My uncle listens to his neighbor through his scanner.

I can also remember picking up a neighbors phone call on my walkie talkie when I was about 7.

And another time, on a set of motorola walkie talkies, I picked up a phone conversation of someone I know who lives like 3 miles away.

I remember when I was like 8 I got the highway construction guys on my walkie talkie. Then I remember my neigbor messing with them when they asked if thye should drill 5 or 10 feet...

Yah I used to be able to hear phone conversations that my neighbor was having and like wise. It was kinda wierd knowing that they knew what I was saying, but oh well. Just makes me wonder who else in the neighborhood could hear me. One thing that I did notice was that our phones were the same frequency. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

z400ACDC
11-03-2008, 06:38 AM
I had a scanner 8-10 years ago that I could here the neighbors calls on but, I thought they would not work on newer cordless.

smr
11-03-2008, 06:43 AM
they will work on the newer cordless founds. All you have to do is set them up to scan across all freg until it finds the phone call.