PDA

View Full Version : Might check out a shee, hows this sound?

Zakradu398
10-29-2008, 01:26 PM
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/849436479.html

Was browsing and come up on this, would you check it out if it were you?

Thanks,
Zak

10-29-2008, 01:35 PM
That's a really good price. I would check it out if I were you.

But look over it REALLY well. It seems the majority of banshee's you find for sale we're beat the living hell out of.

And that .040 over bore would NOT affect jetting. So either the carbs need a good cleaning or are just screwed up. Either way, for that price it you can always buy another set.

Also, check the compression.

Zakradu398
10-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
That's a really good price. I would check it out if I were you.

But look over it REALLY well. It seems the majority of banshee's you find for sale we're beat the living hell out of.

And that .040 over bore would NOT affect jetting. So either the carbs need a good cleaning or are just screwed up. Either way, for that price it you can always buy another set.

Also, check the compression.

Thanks for the quick reply,

as with the jetting, I didn't think it needed jetting changes but didn't want to make a fool out of myself. How much would a pair of carbs be if it came to that?
Also, my dad has a compression tester so we got that covered. anything else besides asking
-how often oil was changed
-what oil-gas mixture
-looking for rust and frame dents
-kind of gas
-top end hours
-bottom end hours

10-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Zakradu398
Thanks for the quick reply,

as with the jetting, I didn't think it needed jetting changes but didn't want to make a fool out of myself. How much would a pair of carbs be if it came to that?
Also, my dad has a compression tester so we got that covered. anything else besides asking
-how often oil was changed
-what oil-gas mixture
-looking for rust and frame dents
-kind of gas
-top end hours
-bottom end hours

no problem.

Carbs aren't TOO expensive. You can probably pick up a nice set for $60. But I would try cleaning the ones on there first.

Add something to the oil question. 2-strokes don't actually have oil in them like 4-strokes. All the lubrication is done with the gas (why you mix oil with it) But ask how often he changes the gear oil in the transmition. It's nothing major, and doesn't really go bad real quick, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Dont worry about kind of gas. We ran 87 in ours before and it ran pefectly fine. As long as the motor doesn't knock/ping it's fine on whatever gas.
All the other questions are good. I wouldn't worry too much about the bottom end. It's a stock engine still, so not under much stress. But if it's had a long life, make sure the crank isn't out of wack (any excess vibration)

If you have any more questions go ahead and throw em at me.

Zakradu398
10-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
no problem.

Carbs aren't TOO expensive. You can probably pick up a nice set for $60. But I would try cleaning the ones on there first.

Add something to the oil question. 2-strokes don't actually have oil in them like 4-strokes. All the lubrication is done with the gas (why you mix oil with it) But ask how often he changes the gear oil in the transmition. It's nothing major, and doesn't really go bad real quick, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Dont worry about kind of gas. We ran 87 in ours before and it ran pefectly fine. As long as the motor doesn't knock/ping it's fine on whatever gas.
All the other questions are good. I wouldn't worry too much about the bottom end. It's a stock engine still, so not under much stress. But if it's had a long life, make sure the crank isn't out of wack (any excess vibration)

If you have any more questions go ahead and throw em at me.

That what I meant is transmission oil, and of course check the air filter. Sounds pretty good.