PDA

View Full Version : Lightened Flywheels

ill_lil_romey
12-12-2002, 02:21 PM
Has anyone had this done to there 400ex? What are the pros and cons of this mod and where can I get it done for what price?

12-12-2002, 02:30 PM
I've got mine lightened,,it helps the motor rev faster and it won't bog as easy when climbing hills and what not in a higher gear. I had it done by rocky ridge racing and it cost about $100. What I like about it the most I guess.. is I can hammer out of corners faster on a mx track and get a jump off the line a little faster on the starts. now on the XC side of things..I can climb hills in 2nd that most 400ex's have to use 1st,,if it does start to bog,,just give it more gas and the revs pick up,,but be carefull,,cuz causing the revs to go up,,can also mean the tires can spin quicker,,which will put you on your back if your not careful,,all in all it kinda makes the 400ex rev like a 2 stroke..:eek:

ill_lil_romey
12-12-2002, 02:55 PM
So are there any downfalls to having this done? Is there anything else I should know before having it done to my ex?

12-12-2002, 02:57 PM
some say it's easier to stall in corners. I haven't really had that problem,,you just have to slip the clutch a little to prevent it,,or keep the hammer down thru the corner like ya should..:D

Bean
12-12-2002, 03:03 PM
my cosin has a setup on his R, where the flywheel is about the size of a halfdollar/silver dollar range, its a tottally new one, do i like it?????

H*LL NO

this is alot lighter than just a plain shaved one, his revs extremely fast, and pulls the wheels up like nothin, but it stalls very easy, and is just plain out annoying to ride in the woods, mine has a stock flywheel, and it revs plenty fast, JMO

Burden7
12-12-2002, 03:29 PM
I lightened my own on my 350xx. I only lightened it 10oz. (per Pro Fab ATV's suggestion) and it made a huge difference. I had mine lightened for flattrack racing. And like Rico said, it made a big difference coming out of the corners and on the starting line. Rico, how much did they take off of your 400ex flywheel? I thought 10oz wasn't going to be enough, but I also didn't want it to become a spinning grenade inside of my cases.

patrick delao
12-12-2002, 04:07 PM
I had the fly wheel lightened on my raptor and lost a lot of low end and stalled alot I had the weight put back on and rebalanced.
For the track it would be ok but XC where you have to stomp on the brakes your going to stall.
Pat

mod300ex
12-12-2002, 04:19 PM
where is this place do they have a web site cuz i want this done on my 300ex.....