PDA

View Full Version : Coolant change

yfz27
10-28-2008, 10:29 PM
where could I get directions on how to properly change the coolant. I would like to replace existing coolant with engine ice and don't want to screw up and have it overheat. Also the coolant bottle in the rear leaks everytime he rides. Is that normal, any fixes for it?

Logan #34's Dad
10-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Just pull off the long hose that goes from the radiator to the lower inlet on the waterpump. Most of the coolant will come out. Put a hose in the radiator fill spout to flush out the antifreeze. If your a treehugger then find a container to catch the coolant if not a gravel drive or road works.
As far as the bottle leaking, The bottle is an expansion chamber for the coolant as it heats up. I only have mine about half full. If it overflows, leave it alone, it will put the coolant at the right amount.

3400ben
10-30-2008, 07:31 PM
How much coolant is in the whole system if you drain it all?

Logan #34's Dad
10-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Not that much. Just fill up the radiator, then the coolant bottle, start it, add coolant as it runs, let it warm up. Once it is cooled down add more coolant to the radiator. Done

jread14
10-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Or you can fill up the radiator, and then break the bleader valve on the top of cylinder/head loose. You will see the fluid go down in the filler neck of the radiator. Tighten valve back hand tight. Add more fluid then then crack it loose again, and repeat the steps above until fluid start coming out of the bleeder valve. Take about 3 minuites and you are done. I typically only have the overflow bottle about half full as well. Good luck.