PDA

View Full Version : rust jacking?

3or4HONDA
10-28-2008, 02:22 PM
I have a 99 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 and the ABS system is rust jacking from what i am told, usually this happens with GM vehicles once again from what i am told. The problem is mine is in my computer, just before i stop anti-lock brakes come on! yes very annoying if i pull the abs fuse from the panel it doesnt do it anymore but i lose speedo, and odo.

does anyone know a way to disconnect abs without losing speedometer? maybe from hubs...idk

i really dont care for ABS and just want the rust jacking to stop. i was told by my tire place to take it to a dealer with a better diagnostic computer and they MAY be able to fix it but you all know dealerships RAPE everyone on diagnostic work!

any suggestions would be helpful...thanks

Regular_Joe
10-28-2008, 02:57 PM
http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA468763.html

From the sounds of it new brakes would totally fix the problem. I bet you could just replace the drum and shoes for under $150 easy.

3or4HONDA
10-28-2008, 03:22 PM
rear drums were just replaced 6 months ago, front discs just inspected when i got new tires 1 month ago...not the brakes

computer/ABS problem...

FreekShow
10-28-2008, 03:42 PM
same problem on my 99 cavalier. abs light is always on and when i turn the key to the ignition without starting it you can hear the abs make a noise like a clicking noise. sometimes when i go to stop the abs kicks when it shouldnt but very rarely.

Heybo
10-29-2008, 07:51 PM
It sounds like you have a wheel speed sensor going out. If you were to look at the wheel speed sensors on a scanner as you're coming down to a stop, the one that is bad will read different from the rest. One will probably drop to zero mph while the others are still reading 5 mph or higher. This causes the abs computer to think that a wheel is locking up and to back off brake pressure to that wheel. When a wheel speed sensor does this, it doesn't always set a trouble code so you have to manually watch the sensors on a scanner to determine which one it is. This is a very common problem on Fords.

Quad18star
10-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by FreekShow
same problem on my 99 cavalier. abs light is always on and when i turn the key to the ignition without starting it you can hear the abs make a noise like a clicking noise. sometimes when i go to stop the abs kicks when it shouldnt but very rarely.

My 99 did the same. Annoying!!!

3or4HONDA
10-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Heybo
It sounds like you have a wheel speed sensor going out. If you were to look at the wheel speed sensors on a scanner as you're coming down to a stop, the one that is bad will read different from the rest. One will probably drop to zero mph while the others are still reading 5 mph or higher. This causes the abs computer to think that a wheel is locking up and to back off brake pressure to that wheel. When a wheel speed sensor does this, it doesn't always set a trouble code so you have to manually watch the sensors on a scanner to determine which one it is. This is a very common problem on Fords.

will a scanner that autozone has show this or do i need to take it to a dealer? also does the sensors have to be changed by a shop or is it something easy?

thanks for the help

Heybo
10-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by 3or4HONDA
will a scanner that autozone has show this or do i need to take it to a dealer? also does the sensors have to be changed by a shop or is it something easy?

thanks for the help

I think AZ just uses a code reader. You shouldn't have to go to a dealer to get it checked. Most decent size mechanic and tire shops should have a scanner that reads ABS systems.