PDA

View Full Version : +4 swinger. . . needs new shock?

AZ_TRX_05
10-28-2008, 11:54 AM
So, I'm thinking of putting my +4 swinger on my 05 trx. I'd like to know those of you who have done this and stayed with the stock shock, or what you have done to compensate for the stretch.
I have been told that I just need a stiffer spring ???

10-28-2008, 01:01 PM
i would love to see this beast to need a +4 swingarm. Sounds like a drag only quad but I would think if you made the preload so the spring is as stiff as possible and turn the rebound way up I think it would be fine. Maybe play with compression too.

AZ_TRX_05
10-28-2008, 01:20 PM
I'll be at the dunes. I like hillshooting, but it's definitely not drag only. I know duning won't be as easy, but I'm just getting the idea for what I need to do right now anyways.

ohsobad_chevy
10-28-2008, 03:17 PM
+4 is perfect for a duner. I have a +3 on mine, simply because I ride some trails and MX on occasion. I love my +3 on my quad and my duner buddies all have +4's and wouldn't have it any other way.
I still have the stock rear shock on my YFZ with my +3 and it did make it a little softer, but not really much different to speak of. I could prolly adjust the preload ring a little bit tighter and you wouldn't be able to tell a difference.
I think you should go +4 if your a die hard duner, +3 if you want a good all around quad. :)

AZ_TRX_05
10-28-2008, 05:39 PM
ya. i guess I just want to make sure I'm still able to use all of the travel, and getting the proper reaction out of it that I'm suposed to.

ohsobad_chevy
10-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Yes, why wouldn't you be able to get all the shocks travel? All you are doing is putting more leverage on the shock.

AZ_TRX_05
10-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
Yes, why wouldn't you be able to get all the shocks travel? All you are doing is putting more leverage on the shock.

due to stiffening? tightening the spring down? I don't effin know! haha, that's why I'm asking.

ohsobad_chevy
10-29-2008, 06:38 AM
No, I wasn't trying to make you feel stupid......I was asking the same questions when I was doing my +3.
Technically, yes, you should have your rear shock re-sprung to compensate for the extra leverage, its like having front shocks set up for stock length arms and then going to +2's.....more leverage makes the shock easier to compress.
Is your rear shock, stock?

AZ_TRX_05
10-29-2008, 08:57 AM
that's cool. I dont feel stupid. Just inexperienced. Ya it's a stocker.

ohsobad_chevy
10-29-2008, 03:17 PM
You will be fine with the stocker......I highly recommend going with the +3 over the +4 though. You will find that it is the perfect length for duning and other riding.
You can adjust the preload on your stocker a little bit and you won't notice any real difference.

AZ_TRX_05
10-29-2008, 03:30 PM
thanks for the input. I already have the swinger. I will probly upgrade the spring, at least.

ohsobad_chevy
10-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Cool.....You are going to love it in the dunes!! :D