PDA

View Full Version : Reed Spacer?

snacob14
10-28-2008, 11:34 AM
what benefit is there to having a reed spacer on my bike. I just picked up an 86 that has a new one installed, but I'm not understanding the benefit of having it on there. The bike has an fmf fatty pipe and a .30 over bore. Other than that I believe thats all the engine mods.

All250R
10-28-2008, 12:03 PM
You could do a search on this. I know I've answered it recently a couple times.

Most people use it to connect their airbox to the shorter CR reed boot when they increase their carb size to something more normal for a 250cc engine. They're also changing the characteristics of gas exchange which may be a secondary thought unfortunately.

If you're doing it for a performance benefit, you're likely wasting your money and possibly hurting performance particularly if the engine is stock-ish porting and pipe timing.

You likely should only buy a reed spacer for performance reasons if you have some dyno figures that tells you your setup needs a decrease in crankcase compression. Other than that it's a brute force, but handy way for getting the airbox to the CR boot.

1promodfan
10-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by snacob14
what benefit is there to having a reed spacer on my bike. I just picked up an 86 that has a new one installed, but I'm not understanding the benefit of having it on there. The bike has an fmf fatty pipe and a .30 over bore. Other than that I believe thats all the engine mods.

If you scroll down you'll see the same question posted, because I posted it. Anyway, I did a test myself on my bike. When I first took the spacer off, I didn't notice a big change. But, when I put it back on....(after making a few test runs)...I could tell a big difference. I have to say that my bike "bogged" more on the bottom end, and didn't seem to want to rev as hard on the top-end. So, after trying it out, I took the spacer off. And I don't plan on putting it back on. Hope this helps.

All250R
10-29-2008, 10:05 AM
If you don't need an airbox, I have brackets made that allows you to not have to run a reed spacer for the CR boot and larger carb. Don't really need profit out of them, so just fyi.

GOTFEAR
10-31-2008, 10:33 PM
you use a spacer on big bore cylinder for the reeds to clear the ports

C-LEIGH RACING
11-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by GOTFEAR
you use a spacer on big bore cylinder for the reeds to clear the ports

Realy,,,, hummmm :ermm: I did'nt know that.
Neil