PDA

View Full Version : Pinging sounds

GOTFEAR
10-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Ok when i race in mud or deep sand putting the motor under a strain i cant run my motor high in the reves starts pinging really bad. I have tried cold to hot plugs , pvl, oem ignitions and different pipes im running 110 sunoco race gas. im running a 350 big bore mx new crank and barrings also new counterbalance ( sounds like timing is off)

86 Quad R
10-28-2008, 06:43 AM
whats the compression on that setup? either your octane is a bit low for the compression you have or the timing is a bit high or both.

C-LEIGH RACING
10-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Keep going up on the main jet till it stops pinging & you might need to change the needle.
If it ever backs the spark plug out or you find it loose, its spark knocking.
Neil

trx310R#24
10-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
Keep going up on the main jet till it stops pinging & you might need to change the needle.
If it ever backs the spark plug out or you find it loose, its spark knocking.
Neil

yeah my spark plug backed out at the dunes... my whole carb is a mess. ha

C-LEIGH RACING
10-31-2008, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by trx310R#24
yeah my spark plug backed out at the dunes... my whole carb is a mess. ha

Loose, or a spit out spark plug, is a sure sign of high timming or a lean condition spark knock.

You running the CR ignition set up or another ignition system other than the stock TRX ignition.

If you have the CR set up with the ESR adapter plate, if you have addvanced the timming any at all you've probably got it set to high.
With the adapter plate bolted in & then the CR stator plate set, locked down, as far to retarded timming as it will go, your still sitting at around 10* advance on timming.
Neil

GOTFEAR
10-31-2008, 10:09 PM
thanks but i am running a oem system. what is the timing on a 250r i will be using a degree wheel

C-LEIGH RACING
11-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Since your using the stock TRX ignition, timming is simple if you have the adjustable timming bearing carrier.
If you dont have the adjustable carrier, you dont have an adjustment for the timming.

You might want to check the flywheel & see if the nuts not tight enough & has allowed the flywheel to move sheering the key.
If that key has sheered, the timming will be off & the engine could do like your saying your's is doing.

Ignition timming can be set using a degree wheel, but you would be way over complecating the whole ordeal on the stock ignition.

A timming light, if you have one of those, is good to use just to see where the ignition is sparking at or if you have the adjustable timming bearing carrier, you can use the light to set the timming.
The old TRX ignition is pretty much straight forward, you bolt it in, put the locating key in the crank, install the flywheel on the crank & torque the holding nut down & thats it.
Neil

GOTFEAR
11-02-2008, 08:55 PM
thanks for info went racing this week end changed the fly wheel with my spare one and 95% of went away and ran like a beast was runing a BR9ES plug will be trying a 8 plug next time