PDA

View Full Version : dirt bike snow and ice tires?

exrider12
10-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Any tips on tires for the snow and frozen lakes?

ZeroLogic
10-27-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm going to try something like this (http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586059&highlight=studded+tires) for this winter.

KXRida
10-27-2008, 05:29 PM
ice screws will probably be your best bet. Honestly, as long as it's not SOLID ice a new tire works rather well. When I got my ktm 200sx I was dying to ride it and we still had about 4 inches of snow in town, but up in the mountains there was about 3 on the roads and upwards of a foot on the trails. I had a new MH3 on it and it did rather well. Now when I hit a completely soild piece of ice with zero traction, that didn't end well. I made it about 50' before the front wheel washed out.

exrider12
10-27-2008, 05:33 PM
would paddles work good in snow? Or what is a good snow tire?

exrider12
10-27-2008, 06:29 PM
???

ZeroLogic
10-27-2008, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't use paddles in snow. You won't get great traction in snow reguardless.

exrider12
10-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Ok thanks, i just ordered 500 ice screws. How do i put them in? just drill em in the knobs?can they be removed and can the tires used again?

KXRida
10-27-2008, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't reuse the tire. use preferably and older tire instead of a new one. When I did screws for my buddy we put those slime skab things (we had a lot of them so that's why we used them) over the screw heads just to be safe that they wouldn't catch the tube. Also put some tire slime in the tube. You just drill them through the knobs.

10-27-2008, 08:14 PM
im selling mine
all four rims and tires front back all studed ready for ice

ZeroLogic
10-27-2008, 08:32 PM
I think hes talking about dirt bikes.:p

jesseweaver
10-27-2008, 10:02 PM
i think im just gonna stick to a regular tire over the winter, i dont really have the time to stud them. all my knobs got ripped off from riding at treverton and going on the road a little. i guess i layed it over to far around the one turn and i have about 15-20 knobs ripped off:grr: ill use that all winter and get a new one for next spring i guess

KXRida
10-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
i think im just gonna stick to a regular tire over the winter, i dont really have the time to stud them. all my knobs got ripped off from riding at treverton and going on the road a little. i guess i layed it over to far around the one turn and i have about 15-20 knobs ripped off:grr: ill use that all winter and get a new one for next spring i guess

switch to a stiffer tire compound. I'm running the pirelli mx Xtra's with good luck. A soft tire does not last long for our terrain. I have also had good luck with the michelin MH3's. I used to run D756's and could completely ruin a set between morning practice and two moto's. :eek2:

I do have a few knobs torn off of the pirelli, but nothing bad. Probably one of the longest lasting tires I've had. Still has pretty good traction too. I like them.