PDA

View Full Version : Hub Help

God_Bot
10-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Well thanks to the fact I'm running the stock knobby tires on the street I didn't even notice when my lugs came loose. Here's a picture of how my studs look now...
http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/38/p1000705gn6.jpg

Went to the local dealer and they told me $50 for a new stock hub and about another $100 to install it.

What I looking to find out is if I should just get another stock hub, or any suggestions for an aftermarket hub? What I also want to know is what all is needed to take off the hub? Is it simply a matter of pulling the pin, loosening the nut, and knocking it off and the reverse to put on a new one?

The quad is stock other than the plastic, a bit of paint, and some electrical mods. All I'm looking for is something that will hold up for the rest of the school year as once I get home this summer I plan on a streetbike engine swap along with complete rebuild of pretty much everything else.

Oh and right now all the quad sees is street use getting me to and from class along with a bit of fun on the street every so often.

400ex28
10-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Take the cotter pin out, take the big castle nut off. hub will slide right off. ;)

If you lookin to spend some coin look at the lonestar hubs. but you would be fine just getting another factory hub.

Rip_Tear
10-27-2008, 04:54 PM
your hub looks fine. The threaded stud however looks to be a bit mangled. My personal suggestion is to just buy new studs, press those old ones out and press new ones it. Shouldn't be anywhere near as expensive.

Option 2, leave them like that, run a die over those threads, make sure you tighten everything down good this time.

Option 3, I bet you could find perfectly good stock hubs on Ebay for super cheap.

Are your rims garbage due to the play? If not I'd go with Option 2 and keep using those rims. The biggest problem I see with your set up is that with those being damaged they might damage another set of rims.

To answer your question about taking off those hubs, yes you are correct, pull the pin, loosen off the nut, you may need to leave it in gear, use the brakes and/or leave the tires on the ground.

God_Bot
10-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys that's just what I wanted to know, and in very quick time.

As for the hub itself, yes it's just fine, but I was told I'd have to replace the whole hub as the studs are pressed in and the dealer doesn't have any actual studs just the hubs.

How much does it take to pull out the studs and press new ones in? I'm at college right now so just have hand tools along with a drill and dremel. I might be able to talk to a dealer and see if they would press them for me if I had the parts.

As for the rims, they're the stockers still, don't seem to have any damage other than scratches and pits. Plan on running these until the tires are shot then I don't know, I like some of the Motosport Alloys, and DWT wheels, but I think it'll all depend on what tires I can get to fit and run on the street. But yeah, these stockers are what's gonna be put back on for now.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/8881/p1000706zy4.jpg

Rip_Tear
10-27-2008, 05:35 PM
You might be able to hammer the studs out, but I really have no idea. I have never had the need, and I have a press. But I would imagine you might be able to, it probably wouldn't hurt to try to get them out, putting new ones in might be a different story though. Also while hammering the old ones out you may mushroom them too much and have to cut them at the hub and then use a punch to hit them the rest of the way.

I may be incorrect but it looks as though your rims have enlarged their stud holes quite a bit, and have lost their taper.

10-27-2008, 10:23 PM
i have seen studs hammered out and new hammered in...

i have a set of 450r rear hubs that i'll sell you if you are interested

Pipeless416
10-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
i have seen studs hammered out and new hammered in...

i have a set of 450r rear hubs that i'll sell you if you are interested

my brother snapped a stud once and thats what we did.. its easy.

rideracelivemx7
10-28-2008, 10:22 AM
you dont even need a press to get the studs out. leave the hub on and beat them out with a hammer you dont need the old ones. then put hte new ones in. just tap them in best you canl then suck them with the rim. dont use impact gun. ***** to loosen them backup with new studs.

God_Bot
10-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Okay thanks guys, any idea as to what size the studs might be? The dealer claimed that there are no 400ex studs, but maybe some others would fit in place? Or if I know the size I can just ask for the certain size studs.

10-28-2008, 11:09 AM
take one of the old studs to the auto parts shop and ask...they'll hook ya up

dabomb_350x
10-28-2008, 11:26 AM
The stud is a 10mm by 36mm

The dealer is correct in they no long sell the stud by itself for anythin newer then '89 you have to buy another hub.

Or you could ask for a '89 250R stud part number - 90103-HA2-003.

And I agree with Rip_Tear looks like you enlarged the bolt holes and lost the tapper for the lug nut to set the wheel. Which is why the stub got the way they are from the wheel beating on them.

God_Bot
10-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the help guys she's back together now.

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/1901/p1000709lr4.jpg

The auto shops didn't have any metric studs that small so I had to go to the dealer, ended up paying almost what the hub would have cost with the studs installed already, but this way I don't need to repaint it atleast. Told the guy to look up the 250r studs and he had four in stock.
Hell of a lot easier to change than my Monte Carlo was, that's for sure, quad parts seem to cost more though...

As for the hole's, one has had the taper widened but that's the only one, the other three were just fine and the lug nuts fit nice and snug.

MtnEX
10-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Nice clean quad there... I dig the candy red parts too.

I also like the cut of the lower front fenders.

I'm so tempted to cut mine like that.

God_Bot
10-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Nice clean quad there... I dig the candy red parts too.

I also like the cut of the lower front fenders.

I'm so tempted to cut mine like that.

Thanks man, the fenders are actually the Maier stock type front with the headlight housing cut off...

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5277/p1000702km5.jpg