-faster,
-accelrate harder,
-power on tap great throttle response
-easier wheelies
-motor starts easier

cons:
-found none yet
-they say it adds heat I havent noticed

Thats excactly right in my opinion. Some people dont run them because they plan on running a high compression piston down the road and dont want to put it in and take it out. It truly is a breeze to install and to take out if needed.

MtnEX
10-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Hummm...

So where is the cutoff on compression where you can't run it anymore.

I won't ever be running race gas compression.

leasureryan
10-26-2008, 09:22 PM
it can be run with up to 11:1 compression

I just put one in last week.....very nice cheap upgrade. It will be coming out though as soon as I get my cam, and do my top end swap this month!

10-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Hummm...

So where is the cutoff on compression where you can't run it anymore.

I won't ever be running race gas compression.

The lowest case of race gas needed that I have heard of so far was 10.8:1 Ross piston, thin head gasket and no base gasket. If anything I would try to stay at 10:1 compression which is still a nice increase and you should be safe on 93 octane. I dont know if a 10.5:1 will make it ping and require race gas that might be on the line since 10.8:1 was over the pump gas line

MtnEX
10-26-2008, 10:00 PM
I've read and forgot most everything on the compression/race gas thing.
I think it's 10.5:1 or 11:1, above that race gas... I forget.

Anyways, I was wondering what the compression cutoff is for the advance key?

leasureryan
10-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan
it can be run with up to 11:1 compression

I just put one in last week.....very nice cheap upgrade. It will be coming out though as soon as I get my cam, and do my top end swap this month!

^^^^^^^^^^^

I said it right there

MtnEX
10-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan
^^^^^^^^^^^

I said it right there

Thanks...

And you'll be taking it out once you put in the new cam because it won't be needed/effective anymore?

SandGeek
10-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Why can't you run one in a 440/11:1 engine? What are issues it would cause?

extreme98tj
10-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Why can't you run one in a 440/11:1 engine? What are issues it would cause?

The sparks key will increase heat...which in a 440 will increase chances of disaster

10-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Thanks...

And you'll be taking it out once you put in the new cam because it won't be needed/effective anymore?

that doesnt make sense. It should be used with a cam because most cams generally take away some bottom end which the key gives you. It even says on their website: "This key works great with any other modification, Hi-rev CDI's, performance camshafts, carburetor kits, etc" Its almost like upping the compression because you do get more pressure when the explosion occurs.

BossHogg420
10-29-2008, 09:22 PM
just picked up my key today...what side does it go on the left or right? anything I should need a heads up one during installation?

powermadd400ex
10-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by BossHogg420
just picked up my key today...what side does it go on the left or right? anything I should need a heads up one during installation?

this should cover it
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349499&highlight=sparks+advance+timing
cant wait till my warranty ends so i can do this mod.

MtnEX
10-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
that doesnt make sense. It should be used with a cam because most cams generally take away some bottom end which the key gives you. It even says on their website: "This key works great with any other modification, Hi-rev CDI's, performance camshafts, carburetor kits, etc" Its almost like upping the compression because you do get more pressure when the explosion occurs.

I was asking?....And guessing?... at the same time.

I assumed if he was taking it out after adding the cam that there was reason for it... like uneffective/uneeded with the new cam profiles.

sc400ex_rider
10-31-2008, 11:50 AM
sparks told me i can run the key at 11:1 comp. high comp to them is 12.5 to 1 11:1 is the cutoff for prem pump gas but i have heard of people pinging there 10:0 comp piston. if you run a fan it changes everything cause it wont let it build heat.