PDA

View Full Version : jrspawn

SRH
10-26-2008, 02:58 PM
hey i had a few questions about the side by sides you seem pretty knowledgable but it wouldnt let me send pm

Ive decided to go with the Razr S unless i can find a stock rhino blown up cheap or a setup rhino reasonable or for a swap for one of my race quads.

now to me the new razr s looks like the way to go to start, and more than likely thats what ill do, but im going to be motocross, some xc and alot of all around riding, i want functioning doors though are you aware of any? if you could just give me the pros and cons of the razr and the rhino and your opinion id appreciate it

SRH
10-26-2008, 03:44 PM
http://www.buggyworld.net/revolt.html what do you know about these? they def, look pretty neat, but parts and relability would bemy concern

250x_kyle
10-26-2008, 05:02 PM
they built a buggy similar to that at penn college of technology. they look pritty sweet.

jrspawn
10-26-2008, 05:13 PM
What up?

Well again its an up in the air type deal in compairing the rzr and rhino. But again yamaha is proven over and over the strength and overall quality to be much better than the polaris. For MX(short coarse) racing i feel a modified rhino is far better. For all around play riding off the track, some might be more interested in the rzr. The diff's in the rzrs have issues with racing mx, Ive heard too many cases of them splitting the diffs while racing. They are also VERY cramped size wise. And in general the main construction of everything just isnt up to par with yamaha.

Yes polaris states the rzr s is one bad machine. But in all reality its just anoth glorified Stock machine. You have to compare it just like quads. Manufactors putting out "race" ready quads, but upgraded the suspension alone makes a night and day difference over the "stock race ready" setup.

The rhino is one Tuff machine that has an almost endless availability of aftermarket parts both new and used out there. Just take a look out west in the big race series and you will see the rhino's dominate with mx and short coarse. Yes the rzr's have done well in the baja(open coarse) races but keep in mind they have had backing by Factory polaris with those machines.

I say go for a rhino. Theres a few ways. Out west ive seen quite a few Race rhino setups for sale 12,000 under. That includes your suspension, cage, engine/clutch work, wheels, etc........ Or go ahead and track down a decent used rhino stock. Ive seen them go for as cheap as 5000 and heard of less. Take 5-7k and build one bad*** machine. rather than spend the 14,000+++++ for a Stock rzr s.

Thank you
Justin

klutch
10-26-2008, 05:24 PM
LMFAO!!! That picture is hilarious!!!!

jrspawn
10-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by klutch
LMFAO!!! That picture is hilarious!!!!

:devil: :devil: :devil: I had to put it up:D

SRH
10-26-2008, 07:53 PM
see i debated finding a rhino and putting like 5-7k in it but i could just get lt suspension for about 5500-6k .....and then i heard the rhino is only about 23 hp stock, and ive heard the razr has some nuts....im new to the side by side but generally isee alot of broken rhinos, cranks and just other misc stuff, and wouldnt you only blow a diff if you were in 4wd?

jrspawn
10-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Dont always believe what you read in magazines.... Someone has gotta pay the bills...................

And with the rhino deal, as far as suspension, again if you go that route let me know and ill set you up with a kit Much cheaper than what your thinking.

The rhino engine stock is restricted, just like a quad your average bolt ons with wake it up big time. Major thing here though is the clutch!!!!! Switch the clutch over to a dry system like pdm/bronco and set it up and you will be Blown away of the performance upgrade and feel of it. Yeah the rzr is faster out of the box, but its still a polaris......... again you slap just a dry clutch on the rhino and compair it to the rzr on the track and youd be amazed. And im telling you from exp. the rhino is by far the tuffest side by side on the market, the rzr is not even in the same league. Seem too many structure issues out of the polaris to even consider one. Ive been end over end, side over side, and so on with a stock cage and never had one issue with the rhinos. But ive seen and heard too many horror stories with the good ol thin walled cheap tubing cage polaris uses. ill sacrifice a little power in stock form for ALOT more safety! Crank issues with rhinos... Again most are contributed to first, lack of maintenence. And secondly just like a quad race engine, trying to stuff alot of HP into it with a crazy top end. Same thing goes for the rzr's, ive heard my fair share of bottom ends letting loose/having wear. Something is gonna give with the stock parts. But i can assue you even in stock form the rhino has more than enough power to hold its own on a track for a side by side.

And the issue with the diff's on the rzr, its not just the front. The rears break just as much as the fronts if not more. You dont have to be in 4wd either. The cases just crack/blow apart. I was at a dealer in PA and this is no joke. They pulled the rzr out into the parking lot after its prep and made it about 100ft. or so and had the rear diff lock up. After talking to the guys in the shop about them and hearing how great they were, well that Wasnt a good selling point for me lol.

Thank you
Justin

SRH
10-26-2008, 08:27 PM
since i have a broken back seats are a big deal to me to, if you could pm me roughly what it would cost to do a nice lt suspension setup, set of seats, and that clutch setup , are the new 700's better than the 660??

jrspawn
10-26-2008, 08:41 PM
pm sent

jrspawn
10-26-2008, 09:07 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fuXlahsQ16Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fuXlahsQ16Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f6SSe_jHPT8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f6SSe_jHPT8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Some crappy videos i figured id post up, the second video is normally the responce i get from passengers. They dont stop laughing.

Ive got some more videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/jrspawn

thank you
Justin

54warrior
10-27-2008, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by jrspawn

I was at a dealer in PA and this is no joke. They pulled the rhino out into the parking lot after its prep and made it about 100ft. or so and had the rear diff lock up.

Do you mean Razr???

jrspawn
10-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by 54warrior
Do you mean Razr???

My bad, yes i meant the rzr. It was late last night and i had a few to drink:chinese:

Thank you
Justin

SRH
10-27-2008, 12:14 PM
if i wanted to trail ride but i wanted good enough suspension to get on a track with is it possible to just go with the +3 lsr arms and some elka shocks because the full on race suspensions from lsr say you must have a built motor etc, plus i dont want to lose my trail ability but i want something i can mx with and race occasionally, im talking rhino here

whats really needed to be done to uncork it so it will run with a razr? i know you mentioned clutch, but if you dont have it done i cant imagine id need it, also i heard the cdi's caused the cranks to go out and what not any truth to that?

jrspawn
10-27-2008, 12:25 PM
You DO NOT need to work the engine after the long travel setup. The reason some may say this is that before the long travel setup, riding through anything ruff will beat the snot out of you in stock form. But after the correct suspesnion setup, your able to haul *** through about anything, giving the feeling that you want more power. But like ive said time after time, a stock engine with the normal bolt on mods is more than enough to have fun anywhere.

If you want the rhino engine to out perform a rzr hand down. Go with a full port head, valves, springs, and cam. Then a decent piston. Throw on a carb(or you could try to use the stock one), cdi, exhaust, and clutch kit and you will eat rzr's alive in flat out perforance.

And the myth of cdi's blowing cranks out. Its not the cdi, its the drive holding the throttle wide open forever and having the engine scream and scream some more! Just like a quad, you dont want to hold it wide open in top gear forever.

And lastly, i can get you a +3 long travel setup also. It works good for all around every type of riding.

Thank you
Justin

SRH
10-27-2008, 12:48 PM
ahh this is such a hard decision,

chances are id get a new 09 rhino... unless i can possibly get this blown one....

if i bought the 09 , did exhaust, cdi,filter how underpowered am i going to be if i race razr's? locally there is 3 razrs i know of and a joyner 1100

how does the +3 setup handle on the track compared to the bigger lt setups?

and have you heard anthing on the can am utv thats suppose to be coming out'?

SRH
10-27-2008, 01:06 PM
also i see they sell a sport edition with piggy back shocks, they any good???

i was reading a bit on rzr .net or something, i went to the drivetrain forum and all i read was blown diff, clutch prob, engine prob, air filter prob, squeaky this, klattering noise.........enough to scare me from investing 14k:eek2:

my main concern with the rhino is the engine performance and trail ability, which i guess isnt a big deal since the trails are on my own property, i really dont want to go too much further than exhaust and cdi or some other bolt on mods, but i def dont want something thats just boring to ride, more than likely id be getting the 700, i know you said they need to be uncorked, what do you uncork and what kind of #'s do u get after, i know polaris claims 55 on the razr and rhino is like 23 i heard....i mean thats huge, 23 is hardly any more than a 300ex but i imagine the grizzly and raptor are into the 40's at least

i dont want to invest 15k in junk or something too slow, what engine mods do you have done to yours, it looks like it hauls

ikas
10-27-2008, 04:35 PM
http://www.ragemotorsport.com/shop/custom.asp?cpid=custom1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUCmMv6R1sI

There you go ! :devil:

Get one off those ;) :devil:

jrspawn
10-27-2008, 05:09 PM
"i was reading a bit on rzr .net or something, i went to the drivetrain forum and all i read was blown diff, clutch prob, engine prob, air filter prob, squeaky this, klattering noise.........enough to scare me from investing 14k "

It should scare you, its the truth! I try telling everyone how *well* built the rzr's are. But everyone only see's how fast it is and doesnt realize the quality and reliability of the machine. It sucks without going all out crazy with one.

The sport piggyback shocks, they are just a glorified stock shock, still no where worthy of being on a track.

With the the perfomance, again throw some bolt ons on it and your good as far as im concerned for playing on the tracks. As far as the hp numbers.... well again drivetrain/clutching is huge. You can make that underpowered yamaha engine feel like a rocket with clutching.

As far as mine in those videos, lol. I know you probably woulnt believe me, but it was Bone stock in those videos!!!! And as you can see, its plenty of power to go play with:D

Thank you
Justin

SRH
10-28-2008, 07:13 PM
how would the rhino be with just a good set of elka shocks and the stock width? because i really want to trail ride, and from my expirience with quads perfectly setup stock length shocks handle just as well as most long travel setups, granted i wont be real wide but chances are if i raced it would be xc anyway and just play on a mx track, oh yeah and is it possible to go with a slightly more offset rim to gain some width without it harming the handling and and suspension components?

10-28-2008, 07:31 PM
how about a rzr w/ one of these bad boys :devil:

http://dragonfireracinghavasu.com/item--DFR-RZR-TURBO-KIT--RZR+TURBO.html

SRH
10-28-2008, 07:44 PM
i dont think i could put 14k dollars down on something built as poorly as what ive read......id love to own a razr if i didnt read repetitive posts on different sites about the issues owners have been having , not a whole lot of bad about the rhino to my suprise

10-28-2008, 07:47 PM
i heard rhinos hav rollover problems, r u considering widening it

SRH
10-28-2008, 07:54 PM
lol you dont buy those lawyers on tv do you? its terrible what someone just saying something does, its all the rider/driver

the rhino is 10 inches wider than the razr, right now i dont think i plan on widening it just better suspension, unless jrspawn highly recommends it

SRH
10-30-2008, 09:44 PM
whats your opinion of the kawi teryx 750? i hear they are quite a bit better handling and much more powerful, how do they hold up and what do you think?

TilltheEnd
10-30-2008, 09:57 PM
you would never see me jumping one of those things over a double...f that

ikas
10-31-2008, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by TilltheEnd
you would never see me jumping one of those things over a double...f that
If you mean the rage buggie you can jump it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTkJyqG1IFI&feature=related