View Full Version : Taking off light/resistor question?

Crazy lil punk
10-26-2008, 06:41 AM
Hey guys,
My yfz's battery went dead because I wasn't running the lights. SO I am going to go the resistor route. Now can I use any resistor? Like one off one of the 07-08 yfz's? Or do I need to buy the "resistor kit"?
thanks, Joe

Dr89
10-27-2008, 02:18 PM
just curious why not run with the lights on??

Crazy lil punk
10-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Dr89
just curious why not run with the lights on??

I hate how they look, Yes, it really bothers me if I don't like how one of my toys looks.

10-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Sorry, I don't have the answer to your question but I was just wondering... On my '08 YFZ will my battery go dead if I don't run with my lights on?... I took my headlights off because one of them cracked so.. ?

Dr89
10-27-2008, 10:22 PM
crazylilpunk, i may be wrong but i BELIEVE the resistor kit IS the updated electrical for the newer models that they're just selling seperate...im not positive though.

and Nova your fine running with your lights off, it was an 04-05 "problem"

Crazy lil punk
10-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Dr89
crazylilpunk, i may be wrong but i BELIEVE the resistor kit IS the updated electrical for the newer models that they're just selling seperate...im not positive though.

and Nova your fine running with your lights off, it was an 04-05 "problem"

Okay, because the kit is like $55, but I found an 07 resistor for about $15 or so. I am woods riding this weekend so I will be putting my lights on for this weekend anyway, so i have time to order the resistor i guess. Thanks for the info.

daddio
10-29-2008, 09:09 AM
The resistor "kit" is different than the '06-'07 resistor. The kit has a "jumper" harness with it, so you can plug it into your harness. In '06 they changed the wire harness for the new resistor.

IMHO........ I used the resistor "kit" on one of our '04 YFZ's and the other one I didn't. I bought an Optimate battery tender, and pluged it in, during the week, when the quad wasn't raced.

The battery in the YFZ using the charger lasted longer than the "resistor" YFZ. And eventually, the wire going to the ceramic block broke and shorted out, killing my stator. I removed the "kit" and threw it away, put a new stator in, and it runs fine. It didn't make any difference not having the resistor. Now I use the Optimate on my YFZ also.
Our '06 race bike does a little better with the stock wire harness, but I still put the Optimate on it once in a while.