PDA

View Full Version : want more power??

01trx400
10-25-2008, 07:09 PM
what if i put a hot cams or web cam in my bike with stock bore with it still make a difference ?? i have wb r4 full exhaust jetted uni filter and a curtis sparks rev box. and other little things if so what stage ?? thanks

10-25-2008, 07:35 PM
i say up to a 416 stage 1. 426 & 440 stage 2. 440 stroker and up stage 3. thats the way i look at it. The stage 1 is an all around gain. stage 2 is more top end. stage 3 is all top end

01trx400
10-25-2008, 07:37 PM
i was think in a stage 2

10-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by 01trx400
i was think in a stage 2

I wouldn't buy a cam until you go high compression.

The cam increases the duration the valves stay open, making you loose compression. Thus you can actually lose power if you don't go to a high compression piston.

So say the stock 400ex is 9.1:1 compression. Adding a Stage 2 cam will make the compression somewhere around 7.7:1

You'll gain top end, and most likely lose bottom and mid.

The 450's can get away with just cams because they are fairly high compression to begin with.

drew416ex
10-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah on stock compression the most I would consider doing is a stage 1. But I would also prefer to go up in compression before a cam is thought about.

bigredisb
10-26-2008, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX

The cam increases the duration the valves stay open, making you loose compression. Thus you can actually lose power if you don't go to a high compression piston.

Hey DMC thanks for adding good info to your post. Most say "you lose compression" without a detailed description of why. I get this same question all the time and its not somthing that Hot Cams publishes otherwise it would effect sales.

Personally if I have to pull the rocker cover for ANYTHING mine is getting gutted and 460'd with a cam (with the wifes permision of course HA!). I have rarely seen guys go a little bigger on cams, bore or whatever and say "its too much". We all ride these to get a little addrenaline rush and when you get used to the power you will want to go bigger either by bore, compression, or cam to get the rush back. After all look how many used stage 1 cams you can find. It tells me the trend is everyone is going bigger.

I have heard good things about sparks keys with a stage one cam but I think I would go high compression at least.

rideracelivemx7
10-26-2008, 06:32 PM
web cams are bike money, stage 2 was the best thing i put in my ex. woke it up better than the 440 kit did. stage 2 is mid range... and more top than stock. you indeed loose compression because the valves are open longer with stage 2. stage 1 youll be fine, you do loose some compression but its for bottom end so you wont notice it, stage 3 is balls out lol but with web cams, its aloootttt better quality and requires hard faced rockers, CSR sells the kit, the webcams are hard faced lobes. youll be going threw rocker arms like crazy if you use stock. if you want a great all around cam, stage 2 with 11:1 compression, youll have a whole new bike.all for under 300$

supernatural
10-26-2008, 06:50 PM
I put a stage one in mine and the difference over stock is impressive. I'm running stock piston with the sparks key and hmf pipe and didn't notice any loss of power, seems to pull harder all around. I only had the cam in for a week before I added the 450r carb and it now with the carb and cam I think its a great combo. I'd put the stage one in if you're not going build the motor up any larger. I'm happy with mine, but like stated above you always want to go bigger after you get used to the power you have.

01trx400
10-26-2008, 06:55 PM
under 300 are u serious ?? where the site at lol . also i have a question i ve had my 400 ex for about a month and its never smoked at all as far as burnin oil today i went to go start it and a huge cloud of blue smoke for about 30 sec. then it cleared up then was fine whats that ?? leaking ?? valve ??

01trx400
10-26-2008, 07:32 PM
whast the sparks key ??