PDA

View Full Version : Loosing weight

ohsobad_chevy
10-24-2008, 04:58 PM
I have been slowly gaining weight (damn dr. pepper and fast food!! lol) and I want to start getting back into shape. I am still in good shape as far as cardio goes, but I am getting a belly. What is the fastest, healthiest way to loose weight, from diets to workouts, I wanna hear em......perhaps a little motivational help, too. :p

<DRS>GPF
10-24-2008, 06:47 PM
cut out sugars and start walking or riding a bike..

to give my exercise a bit more purpose, i used to ride bike to collect aluminum cans and/or visit friends in town..

the cans paid off pretty good.. id get around $120+ per haul to the recycler..

btw.. my cousin makes a killing riding his bike around collecting cans..
he can fill my pickup truck bed full of crushed cans every month, especially since these caffine drinks come in "tallboy" form..
(its amazing how much people just toss.. truly a testament to the wastefulness of the general american public.)

NacsMXer
10-24-2008, 07:45 PM
I'll give you the most basic breakdown of how to loose weight.

The first way is to cut your daily calorie intake. Go to this website, and it will give you a "rough" calculation of how many calories per day your body requires (everybody's different). http://www.mypyramid.gov/mypyramid/index.aspx

One pound of fat contains approximately 3500 calories. In order to loose one pound of fat per week, you need to create a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day (500 calories x 7 days = 3500 calories). That means that you need to eat 500 calories less per day than what your body requires. This will force your body into burning off fat stores in order to obtain the energy it needs every day.

I am on this plan myself right now, and I basically keep a daily log of what I eat and how many calories each meal contains. For instance if I have 2 packets of oatmeal for breakfast, each 160 calories, I write it down as 320 calories. This will help you pay close attention to how much you are taking in each day. At the end of the day I add everything up and make sure that I am 500 or more calories below my daily 2400 calorie needs.

With the diet you need to cut out the simple things you don't need. Instead of drinking juice, gatorade, or pop with each meal....all of which contain calories, drink water. Cut out the sweets that are high in calories, but don't hold over your hunger for very long. Eat fruits like bananas and apples, they will make you feel full, but don't have a lot of calories. Also, tuna is a great diet food. It is very high in protein to help build lean muscle and will hold over your hunger for a while yet only contains like 150 calories per can.

Now the second way to loose weight is obviously exercise. The best part about this is you can team it up with the restricted diet to help you with the 500 calories less you eat each day. If you burn 250 calories through exercise, then that means you only have to eat 250 less in your diet through that day. If you burn 500 through exercise, then you won't have to eat 500 less, etc. Set it up the best way that works for you.

Myself, I prefer going on an intense bike ride or going for a jog, but there are many good ways to burn off extra calories. This website lists how many calories you burn off for some common physical activities: http://www.tooelehealth.org/Community_Health/CVD/Calories_Burned.html

Good luck, if you stick to this plan there's no way you won't see results!

Warnerade
10-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I'll give you the most basic breakdown of how to loose weight.

The first way is to cut your daily calorie intake. Go to this website, and it will give you a "rough" calculation of how many calories per day your body requires (everybody's different). http://www.mypyramid.gov/mypyramid/index.aspx

One pound of fat contains approximately 3500 calories. In order to loose one pound of fat per week, you need to create a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day (500 calories x 7 days = 3500 calories). That means that you need to eat 500 calories less per day than what your body requires. This will force your body into burning off fat stores in order to obtain the energy it needs every day.

I am on this plan myself right now, and I basically keep a daily log of what I eat and how many calories each meal contains. For instance if I have 2 packets of oatmeal for breakfast, each 160 calories, I write it down as 320 calories. This will help you pay close attention to how much you are taking in each day. At the end of the day I add everything up and make sure that I am 500 or more calories below my daily 2400 calorie needs.

With the diet you need to cut out the simple things you don't need. Instead of drinking juice, gatorade, or pop with each meal....all of which contain calories, drink water. Cut out the sweets that are high in calories, but don't hold over your hunger for very long. Eat fruits like bananas and apples, they will make you feel full, but don't have a lot of calories. Also, tuna is a great diet food. It is very high in protein to help build lean muscle and will hold over your hunger for a while yet only contains like 150 calories per can.

Now the second way to loose weight is obviously exercise. The best part about this is you can team it up with the restricted diet to help you with the 500 calories less you eat each day. If you burn 250 calories through exercise, then that means you only have to eat 250 less in your diet through that day. If you burn 500 through exercise, then you won't have to eat 500 less, etc. Set it up the best way that works for you.

Myself, I prefer going on an intense bike ride or going for a jog, but there are many good ways to burn off extra calories. This website lists how many calories you burn off for some common physical activities: http://www.tooelehealth.org/Community_Health/CVD/Calories_Burned.html

Good luck, if you stick to this plan there's no way you won't see results! eat less caloried than your body needs? that would work great if you wanna be nothing but a ball of flab with no muscle. you do it that way, and your body will go after itself...starting with muscle because it can break it down faster than fat. Sure, you'll weigh less but you'll look the same, if not worse.

eat smaller portions of food more often throughout the day, eat clean, drink more water, and get off your *** and excersice. I recoment some cardio, keeping your heart rate around 130.

NacsMXer
10-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
eat less caloried than your body needs? that would work great if you wanna be nothing but a ball of flab with no muscle. you do it that way, and your body will go after itself...starting with muscle because it can break it down faster than fat. Sure, you'll weigh less but you'll look the same, if not worse.

eat smaller portions of food more often throughout the day, eat clean, drink more water, and get off your *** and excersice. I recoment some cardio, keeping your heart rate around 130.

True that you're body will go after the muscle first, but if you know a better way to actually LOSE fat other than diet and exercise, please share. How else will you burn off the fat unless you force the body to burn off the fat stores for energy rather than the body relying on that which you take in through the diet? If you eat what your body needs, it will at BEST equal out, and no calories will contribute to extra fat stored. Take in more calories than what your body requires on a chronic basis without burning them off, and that is how fat becomes stored.

I'm not saying that this calorie deficit thing is to be maintained for an entire lifetime, it's just for the period of time one needs to shed excess body fat. After one gets the results they want they might go back to meeting their daily requirements as well as exceeding them once in a while to stimulate the metabolism/trick the body into thinking it's getting adequate calories (and not needing to store fat as a result).

If one is so concerned about losing lean muscle mass they can maintain a steady healthy diet with normal carbs, protein, etc. but supplement it with a rigorous aerobic exercise routine. Doesn't matter if you restrict/burn off the calories through diet or exercise....like I said, do what works for you. Ideally it's obviously a combination of both.

The way that I look at it is muscle is a lot easier to build up through lifting/diet than it is to burn off excess fat. You can do sit-ups and crunches all day long and build up some serious toned abs, but having a layer of fat over that toned muscle isn't that satisfying to most people. If you loose a little muscle mass initially, you can always bulk back up later.

jrspawn
10-24-2008, 10:21 PM
I can tell you from exp. one method that will make you loose weight. Do not eat over 10 grams of fat in a day. Regardless of calories or carbs, just keep an eye on the fat grams. Along with most other diets ill say its not the safest one to do, but it DOES work. I went on the diet a month before my wedding while still in racing season and lost 25lbs. in one month by doing this along with drinking ALOT of water. Again its probably not safe(and please dont bash if so) but i can tell you it does work.

But.... then after i got married i packed it all back over a year or so, but im married so im aloud too:blah: lol

Thank you
Justin

jrspawn
10-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Forgot to add that i didnt exercise at all other than riding once or maybe twice a week throught that month in which i had been doing previously for a long time.

Thank you
Justin

Yippie-Ki-Yay
10-24-2008, 10:31 PM
I had your same problem, when i was 13, i started gaining weight fast, so i told my parents to stop buying me soda no matter how much i *****, and to buy me water instead. Not only that, started getting up at 6 and i run until 7 around my 1 mile long atv track, and i still do to this day! Its very simple, but you would be so surprised at how fast you can lose weight just by cutting out soda, and running! Not only will you lose weight, you will become much healthier, and you will have much more stamina!:p

wilkin250r
10-25-2008, 03:32 AM
Diets and exercise programs are great, if you stick with them. Problem is, not to many people do. Even if they don't actually lose motivation, just other things get in the way. "Can't hit the gym today, gotta run to town to pick up Mom at the airport. And tomorrow is booked solid with the teacher conference, and..."

I know a whole lot of people that can't lose weight because life just gets in the way. Once it falls a notch on the priority list, it's really hard to bring it back up.

Me, I got a second job doing landscaping. I'm on my feet working my butt off two days a week. Literally, working my butt off, I've lost 30lbs over the summer. And it's a JOB, it can't fall down a notch on the priority list.

Warnerade
10-25-2008, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
True that you're body will go after the muscle first, but if you know a better way to actually LOSE fat other than diet and exercise, please share. How else will you burn off the fat unless you force the body to burn off the fat stores for energy rather than the body relying on that which you take in through the diet? If you eat what your body needs, it will at BEST equal out, and no calories will contribute to extra fat stored. Take in more calories than what your body requires on a chronic basis without burning them off, and that is how fat becomes stored.

I'm not saying that this calorie deficit thing is to be maintained for an entire lifetime, it's just for the period of time one needs to shed excess body fat. After one gets the results they want they might go back to meeting their daily requirements as well as exceeding them once in a while to stimulate the metabolism/trick the body into thinking it's getting adequate calories (and not needing to store fat as a result).

If one is so concerned about losing lean muscle mass they can maintain a steady healthy diet with normal carbs, protein, etc. but supplement it with a rigorous aerobic exercise routine. Doesn't matter if you restrict/burn off the calories through diet or exercise....like I said, do what works for you. Ideally it's obviously a combination of both.

The way that I look at it is muscle is a lot easier to build up through lifting/diet than it is to burn off excess fat. You can do sit-ups and crunches all day long and build up some serious toned abs, but having a layer of fat over that toned muscle isn't that satisfying to most people. If you loose a little muscle mass initially, you can always bulk back up later. are you kidding me? I told you exactly how to lose weight...USING diet and exercise...theres no other way around it, but bottom line...you eat less than your body NEEDS, its gonna use muscle before fat...what dont you get about that?

I ate exactly the right amount of calories my body needed for a year, and did just the right amount of cardio to force my body to burn fat, vs. muscle or food sitting in my stomach. Trust me, eat what your body needs...theres a reason anorexics will always think they are fat, and thats because they do the EXACT same thing you suggest, just magnified a lot more...but its all relevant and comparable to one another.

and if you think its easier to gain a pound of muscle vs. lose a pound of fat...then you need to do some more research and actually go to the gym and see for yourself you couldn't be more wrong.

Giz400ex
10-25-2008, 05:34 AM
Stop the soda and fast food joints, sugar= bad, sodium=bad. Eat in moderation and keep active. Its not good to drop weight fast but keeping active and not eating more than you should is a slower and healthier way to lose weight. Your body does take time to adjust.

NacsMXer
10-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Warnerade
are you kidding me? I told you exactly how to lose weight...USING diet and exercise...theres no other way around it, but bottom line...you eat less than your body NEEDS, its gonna use muscle before fat...what dont you get about that?

I ate exactly the right amount of calories my body needed for a year, and did just the right amount of cardio to force my body to burn fat, vs. muscle or food sitting in my stomach. Trust me, eat what your body needs...theres a reason anorexics will always think they are fat, and thats because they do the EXACT same thing you suggest, just magnified a lot more...but its all relevant and comparable to one another.

and if you think its easier to gain a pound of muscle vs. lose a pound of fat...then you need to do some more research and actually go to the gym and see for yourself you couldn't be more wrong.

You're absolutely right, there's no way around it.

I believe I already stated that this is an accelerated plan for a TEMPORARY amount of time. One or two weeks on is not going to wipe you and your muscles out. It is simply a brief period for a little "catch-up". Then you go back to your normal routing of meeting your requirements as well as exceeding them once in a while. Relating this type of thing to anorexics is kind of exaggerating a bit. They chronically deplete their nutrients through purging, not eating enough, as well as excessive exercise while having a psychological distortion of their own body image. I'm just reiterating what was taught by a licensed dietitian as part of my major. If you think this is unhealthy, or you know better than a licensed dietitian then good for you.

The amount of muscle you will initially loose over the short period of time you have a calorie deficit is negligible to me. The topic is "losing weight" and you can't expect to do two things at once here. It's hard to loose fat while at the same time preserving/gaining muscle. Something has to give first before something else can happen. I am by no means an expert in the realm of weight lifting so you may be right that it is indeed harder to gain a pound of muscle. Therefore, I never gave any advice on gaining pounds of muscle....this is not what the OP asked for advice about.

ALAMX37
10-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Cutting fat is simple really, but requires commitment. First your diet needs to be in line. Diet will have the single biggest effect on anything you do body wise. I am cutting and the way I go about it is as follows; I take in a huge amounts of protein for calories rather than carbs. I have cut my carbs down to a very minimal amount. I eat six times a day which will kick your metabolism in the ***. I lift 4 times a week right at the time I would be eating, immediately after I do cardio, while I am hungry. I have dropped almost 30 lbs in 12 weeks and have been gaining muscle throughout the process.
I only do cardio when I am hungry, and it has been very beneficial for me.

NacsMXer
10-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by ALAMX37
Cutting fat is simple really, but requires commitment. First your diet needs to be in line. Diet will have the single biggest effect on anything you do body wise. I am cutting and the way I go about it is as follows; I take in a huge amounts of protein for calories rather than carbs. I have cut my carbs down to a very minimal amount. I eat six times a day which will kick your metabolism in the ***. I lift 4 times a week right at the time I would be eating, immediately after I do cardio, while I am hungry. I have dropped almost 30 lbs in 12 weeks and have been gaining muscle throughout the process.

Yep, that's a great way to go about it as well. What you're doing is taking advantage of the insulin/glucagon balance. Doing cardio while you are hungry promotes the post-absorptive state in which glucagon is prevalent throughout the bloodstream. Glucagon is sort of an anti-storage hormone that steals fatty acids away from fat stores to be readily burned for energy. It also regulates the the release of fat that has already been stored through the actions of insulin. So the more time you remain in the state that glucagon is present for energy, the more you promote burning of fat.

ohsobad_chevy
10-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated. I am at 202 as of this morning and I am wanting to get to about 180. My girlfriends mom has this chemical diet that is from the hospital and claims it will make you lose 10 pounds a week...?....?? Am I correct by assuming that this cannot be healthy?

I basically want to burn excess body fat and boost my metabolism to help me keep the weight off. I do have muscle mass built up from working and lifting, just need to get the fat off.

Anyone have any good sites for getting into a daily routine for what I am trying to accomplish?

ohsobad_chevy
10-26-2008, 09:59 AM

Can you give me some details on your routine?

ALAMX37
10-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Sure. For my lifting I literally have little pieces of paper about 10-15 per body part and throw them in a hat and draw four for every workout. I never do the same lifts it is always different. I use the bodybuilding forum to find my lifts.
Monday - I do Chest and Biceps and Abs
4 exercise per body part 3 sets each
followed by cardio for at least 30 min.
Tuesday - lower body
5 exercises times 4 sets followed by cardio
Weds - rest
Thursday - Triceps, shoulders, abs
4 x 3 sets followed by cardio
Friday - back and forearms
4x 3 sets and cardio
I also do cardio on at least one weekend day, usually both but at least one.

As for my diet, protein, 40g or less carbs a day, little to no fat. Water lots of water. Multi vitamin and omega 6.
I do protein shakes for breakfast and post workout. PRetty simple really the diet is actually not hard just have to change your habits a little. Meat = Good

krt400ex
10-26-2008, 10:59 AM
all i do is pushups, crunches, and curls...and that helps me thin out when i start noticing that im gaining weight...but it doesnt take much for me to loose weight cuz i have a fast metabolism to being with.

ohsobad_chevy
10-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Awesome, sounds like it would be pretty easy to keep up with.

Anyone have any websites with diet/workout schedules?

Warnerade
10-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Sure. For my lifting I literally have little pieces of paper about 10-15 per body part and throw them in a hat and draw four for every workout. I never do the same lifts it is always different. I use the bodybuilding forum to find my lifts.
Monday - I do Chest and Biceps and Abs
4 exercise per body part 3 sets each
followed by cardio for at least 30 min.
Tuesday - lower body
5 exercises times 4 sets followed by cardio
Weds - rest
Thursday - Triceps, shoulders, abs
4 x 3 sets followed by cardio
Friday - back and forearms
4x 3 sets and cardio
I also do cardio on at least one weekend day, usually both but at least one.

As for my diet, protein, 40g or less carbs a day, little to no fat. Water lots of water. Multi vitamin and omega 6.
I do protein shakes for breakfast and post workout. PRetty simple really the diet is actually not hard just have to change your habits a little. Meat = Good how many grams of fat are you talking about when you say little to none?

10-26-2008, 12:25 PM
you dont really need a harsh diet or anything to lose weight. its all about exercise. try to eat healthy refrain from snacks between your meals and dont stuff yourself eating. I think its something like 20 minutes for you to feel full so you could keep eating cause you dont feel full so eating slow helps out. I know if I eat slow I eat less.

ALAMX37
10-26-2008, 01:19 PM
Little to none = 10g or less.
Only good fats though, no fast food fat.

Sjorge450R
10-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Little to none = 10g or less.
Only good fats though, no fast food fat.

that seems next to impossible considering when you are saying high protien, you almost always are gettign fat from protien.

Warnerade
10-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
that seems next to impossible considering when you are saying high protien, you almost always are getting fat from protien. do your research before looking like a fool

just checking ala...when I saw you say no fats, i was assuming you were trying to get 0-5...even 10 is a bit low. Pro bodybuilders dieting for a competition even get around 30-40 grams of fat, take some flax oil...

Its been a while since i've lifted and done any of this so its a little fuzzy, but if I recall correctly, healthy fat lubricates your joints, so its a win win situation.

ALAMX37
10-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Ya, I aim for 10g, but I have no doubt I go over regularly. I take glucosmine (sp) for the joints. and yes it is possible to cut the fats that low with high protein intake.
I take a regiment of supplements to make up for the lack of nutrients I get. I have finally got my body to metabolize the fat while still adding mass. This is what works for me.

Warnerade, I take any advice you have bc I know you are knowledgeable here.

ohsobad_chevy
10-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Good information guys, keep it coming.

Warnerade
10-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Ya, I aim for 10g, but I have no doubt I go over regularly. I take glucosmine (sp) for the joints. and yes it is possible to cut the fats that low with high protein intake.
I take a regiment of supplements to make up for the lack of nutrients I get. I have finally got my body to metabolize the fat while still adding mass. This is what works for me.

Warnerade, I take any advice you have bc I know you are knowledgeable here. seems like you got it pretty much under wraps, got any questions though...feel free to holla